Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
This is what we are NOT! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KuraiKitty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:55 am
Sure, bad grammar is my pet peeve, but I keep it inside (well, granted, there are those times when necessity calls, but...). As a general note, if I do correct them, it's nicely, and with a hint of nostalgia. I never did type in chatspeak, for instance, but I had trouble moving from the realm of semi-literate (using *'s in RPs, for instance) to literate, at first. I try to be like the role models in my own life; the extreme literates of Gaia.

Now, I don't mean to put down anyone here (Wait, who am I kidding? I'm not even up to their level yet. So, whoever might be insulted, just remember that I'm insulting myself, as well. ^_^), but... the sheer magnificence of their writing strives to make me better, to try to match them with every ounce of my being. That is what I hope to do to others who are less than superb at grammar usage; simply set the example, and give them a gentle nudge or two when they need it.

Flaming only makes them stick to their ways. v.v It's not helpful at all.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:08 pm
I'm not a grammar nazi... that I can asure your.. nor do I like them... I admit I'm a person who nags on languages, but only on accents.... hate it when people of a different country try to speak the other language with no effort in trying to get some accent in order to understand...but anyway...

Yes, I agree with this ideal quite a bit... It's nice to know that you like grammar, but if somebody is to try and force feed grammar down your damned throat..... then tell those grmmar nazi j*ck*ss*s to leave you...

I have a sister in fact who is a grammar nazi... and she won't leave anyone around her to speak even slightly off or bad grammar... drives me and probably a few others insane...

but enough rambling... I'm probably just making myself look like a complete idiot. So I shall close my post now.  

DemonsPet

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:03 pm
whether or not someone needs to be yelled at depends on the situation. if you have kindly corrected multiple times and they still use improper grammar, you have to wonder if they're doing it to annoy you, as i know many people who will. if something is really annoying me, i politely ask the person who wrote it to correct it. my friends frequently have me edit their papers, knowing that it will be at least somewhat correct. (i don't know every singel grammar rule under the sun, and some just seem odd to me-grammar has been changed quite a bit since the books i read throughout my childhood [most of them were published from 1900-1970], and i'm used to the grammar in them.)  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:01 pm
Shinobi 1977

People like this piss me off because they do more to hurt our movement than to help it. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why?

gonk Man, you just had to phrase that as if it were homework. (Do you agree or disagree? Why? gonk )

That being said I'd like to say that I make a lot of mistakes, even though I'm in this guild, and get flamed for it! It's not really my fault, I type really REALLY fast, and sometimes my fingers get ahead of themsleves! Sad, but true. sweatdrop  

Mangabrary

Embers_and_Ashes

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:19 pm
Quite honestly, it truly irks me when people decide to 'yell' at someone else simply because they've miss-spelt one word.
We're all human, and make mistakes.
It's arrogant to believe that you've never made a single mistake while typing.

The only time that I find it truly appropriate to point out mistakes, is when they're yelling at some one else for illiteracy.
Other then that situation, I simply don't respond when the post has atrocious spelling or grammar.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:40 pm
It is truly unhelpful just to yell for one type of misspelling. Some people (like me) are constantly trying to keep up with the posts of friends who type faster, and consequently make mistakes. The type of misspelling that this Grammar Nazi is yelling about is a pretty common mistake, but it shouldn't drive them to the point of yelling like this.

Just rambling about my early Gaian "txt tlking"...
Sure, I was a "txt tlkr" when I first started Gaia, because, well, that's how my friends talked online, like on Yahoo Instant Messenger. But, after joining a guild and meeting a friend who seemed a much better writer in Roleplays and things, I decided that it seemed more sensible to type in plain English most of the time. (Of course, when I'm teasing friends, I like to type in Chinese, but that's me for you.)
Another success story! biggrin  

chrystalclear

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:03 am
I sometimes have the urge to rant at people (somewhat like that), but that's only if they type up some unintelligable crap to torture me.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:51 pm
I hope that my thread about your and you're didn't cause this.... If so , I'm really very sorry. That was not my intent at all, to be mean to people or anything. It's just something that has always bothered me. I hope you guys forgive me if I did cause this. crying  

Aramethea

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:21 pm
Aramethea
I hope that my thread about your and you're didn't cause this.... If so , I'm really very sorry. That was not my intent at all, to be mean to people or anything. It's just something that has always bothered me. I hope you guys forgive me if I did cause this. crying

XD I think this thread has been going on longer than yours, so, I wouldn't be too worried about it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
I can completely relate to the grammar Nazi here. HOWEVER... I would not be so... Loud about it. I can also relate to whomever posted the your/You're mistake. There are times -though not often- that I do the same thing. It might not even be a grammar error so much as a typo. Probably one of the most embarrassing typos I made was accidentally putting an 's' in front of 'he.' Not a gender miscalculation, but rather a typo. I'll tell you, though, I got beaten mercilessly for that one...  

Ghurdrich

Sarla-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:24 am
I like good grammar and I have no patience for people who talk in "txt talk" but come on, not everyone is going to type things out in perfect English. I am going to be majoring an English and even I screw it up sometimes. I hate when people (like the Grammar Nazis) go and make fun of someone because they said something wrong or they didn't spell something right. People make mistakes, don't bark and tear them to shreds. I think the main purpose of this guild is to help people with literacy issues, not tear them down!  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:48 pm
WellThen
I agree. Being literate does not give you the right to degrade others if you're correcting them. Adding a little P.S. or something of the sort at the end of your post just to mention "Oh, by the way..." is all that you need to do. No point in dedicating an intire post to correcting almost to the point of flaming someone.
3nodding I agree completly. Don't yell at people just for getting one or two things wrong, I make typos all the time, and so do my friends. But I'm not going to yell at every single person who makes typos!
P.S. -not sure if I spelled Typos right sweatdrop  

Imiko-chan

tetrasmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:21 pm
Shinobi 1977
Grammar nazi wrote:

Quote:
Ok...I can't stand this much longer. I know the majority of you english speaking people out there know the friggin' difference between YOUR and YOU'RE!! If you don't here's a freaking refresher:

YOUR = Possession. Your cat, your watch, your head!

YOU'RE = Conjunction of YOU ARE!! You're cool, you're sweet, you're mean!

Your nice for giving me some gold <- icon_scream.gif WRONG!!

You're nice for giving me some gold. OR Your gift of gold was nice. <- CORRECT!!

So take a second and use your basic english skills and put the 'RE where it belongs.

Sheesh!!

People like this piss me off because they do more to hurt our movement than to help it. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why?

Hm, I admit that it DOES irk me when people misuse your and you're, however, I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of it. So, I agree with you, it's a common and simple mistake, it's not that big of a deal.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff