Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Art I~ Open- Intro 2061-'62 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 pm
A sincere artist is not one who makes a
faithful attempt to put on to canvas
what is in front of him, but one who tries to create something
which is,in itself, a living thing.

User ImageUser Image

Tanna walked into her Art classroom excited for her budding artists. She had been looking over their past works in her office and she could see the visible improvement in some and also the raw talent in others. It was enough to make her want to dance when she thought she was helping the next generation of artists! That thought in mind she smiled and eagerly went over to her blackboard to write, Backgrounds, before turning to the small class.
"Hello again students! I've been so impressed by all of your sketches these past few weeks so I think you're ready for the big shot. Today we'll be putting together all that we've learned with one simple idea: backgrounds. One of the biggest challenges in drawing and sketching is tackling background space. Often times we get caught up in the foreground and ignore or only half-heartedly realize a successful background for our foreground imagery to occupy. A strongly drawn or sketched background can provide necessary context for what’s happening in the foreground, and can add visual interest to keep the viewer’s eye moving and examining the image. And pencils are a robust but forgiving medium that provide the flexibility to explore these background environments. The rules to background are pretty simple:

Overlap: How objects overlap other objects in the picture determines how the viewer understands the space. Anything overlapping or partially obscuring something else will appear closer to the viewer
Relative Scale: Obviously, things that are bigger will appear closer, especially in comparison to a smaller version of the same kind of object.
Relative Position: This may be less intuitive than the previous two concepts, but things that are lower in the picture appear closer. Things that are higher seem farther away.
Dark vs Light: Dark objects usually appear closer and light objects usually appear distant. This is a real phenomenon in nature known as atmospheric perspective. It’s the reason far-away mountains are a light, hazy blue, while closer mountains and other objects are darker and retain more contrast.
Horizon: The horizon is always the same as the viewer’s eye level. You can place the horizon wherever you want in a drawing, but it determines the viewer’s eye level. So anything placed above the horizon line is above the viewer. Correspondingly, anything below the horizon is below the viewer. So unless you want the viewer to think he’s floating on a broomstick, you’d better make sure that street lamp extends above the horizon.

Currently on your desks are different subjects, animals, people, inanimate objects, etc., what I would like you to do is draw a background around that subject and create a story. Is that a lion in an African safari or lounging in the shade of a muggle office building? Why is their a tea cup in the middle of a pond? Whatever it is you can think of create! For extra credit you could sketch both the subject and the background and I'll award your points towards your overall grade as well as House Points!"
Tanna clapped happily excited for today's project.

[Wearing: First Day] [With: No one] [Where: My Classroom] [Feeling: Excited/Happy] [Thinking: I wonder what they'll do?!]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:03 am
Today I feel surrounded
Today I am connected
Today I am a part of something more
As if every cell were singing
Still, I can't embrace it
Every silver lining has a cloud
But not so far
I keep waiting for the shoe to drop

Today I feel like dancing: Happy
I never feel like dancing: I'm so glad to be in art...
It's like even the weather suits my mood: Third Years
My entire soul is ringing: Art

N E W L Y N | T A R A | V A S S

H U F F L E P U F F | B L O O D T R A I T O R | T H I R D Y E A RUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Newlyn wrote down the definitions the professor gave them. She'd never learned about backgrounds before, though of course she drew them all the time. Then she turned her attention to her subject. It was a rose. After a moment of thinking she began to draw. It was the rose, left on a winding staircase, as if it had been dropped. A story behind it was beginning to come together in her mind. It was hopelessly romantic, of course, but so was she.

From C A R I N G comes C O U R A G E

Waiting for the axe to fall
And it will happen
This I know
Just not so far
Still, I can't accept it
I keep looking for the thing to bring me down
Though I can't explain my reasons to you
I think we are the same

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:12 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Third Years. She had been thoroughly impressed and grateful for her last set and was eagerly awaiting the new. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art I, my name is Professor Ellis and I will be instructing you this year. To start the class I'd like you to introduce yourself, which House you're in, and why you chose Art. I'll get things started off! My name is Naitanna Ellis, I didn't attend Hogwarts but I was told I would have made a great Ravenclaw, and I'm in Art because I love the multiple ways I can express myself. Now one of you."

[Wearing: Back in Class] [With: My students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: I wonder how they'll be?]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Third Years. She had been thoroughly impressed and grateful for her last set and was eagerly awaiting the new. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art I, my name is Professor Ellis and I will be instructing you this year. To start the class I'd like you to introduce yourself, which House you're in, and why you chose Art. I'll get things started off! My name is Naitanna Ellis, I didn't attend Hogwarts but I was told I would have made a great Ravenclaw, and I'm in Art because I love the multiple ways I can express myself. Now one of you."

[Wearing: Back in the Classroom] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: I wonder how they'll be]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:06 pm

User Image
User Image

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: More students!]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 pm
User Image
Gypsy is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Adorkable at Artspace
CURRENTLY // singlespaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Professor Ellisspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Happyspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'This is my happy place...' spacespac

ஒ ஒ ஒ Hello again, friend of a friend, I knew you when
Our common goal was waiting for the world to end
ஒ ஒ ஒ
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

spaceGypsy entered the classroom with an almost serene expression, her eyes brighter than usual, her hair a myriad of colors. Rather than excitement, she simply felt at peace, and happy. Art was her passion, and for the last two years at school, she'd felt sort of... distant, from it. Hard to find a good time to paint with classes to attend and homework to do. Harder to find a good place to paint that was appropriately calm. There wasn't a place on campus she could go and be alone... but this class would be the next best thing. She was happy about that; she was sure that the early lessons would seem pretty boring to her, since she'd been painting almost her whole life, but that was alright. She didn't mind putting in the time if it meant she got to work. She took a seat and tossed her hair over her shoulder, smiling at the professor. "I'm Gypsy Lovette, Ravenclaw. And I chose Art because... I didn't. Art's been my life pretty much since I was born. My mother's an artist, and It's been obvious since I was old enough to hold a crayon that I'd inherited the passion for it. So... here I am." She shrugged. That was about all there was to it, after all. What else could she say?

═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          ஒ ஒ ஒ Now that the truth is just a rule that you can bend
                                                          You crack the whip, shape-shift and trick the past again.
                                                          ஒ ஒ ஒ

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:43 pm

User Image
User Image

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Third Years. She had been a tad shocked at the small numbers of students she had gotten last year. Small numbers meaning one, but she was thoroughly impressed with that one and hoped to see more like it with this new upcoming set. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art I, my name is Professor Ellis and I will be instructing you this year. To start the class I'd like you to introduce yourself, which House you're in, and why you chose Art. I'll get things started off! My name is Naitanna Ellis, I didn't attend Hogwarts but I was told I would have made a great Ravenclaw, and I'm in Art because I love the multiple ways I can express myself. Now one of you."

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: More students!]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:22 pm
~~~New Year (2026-2027)~~~

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 pm

User Image
User Image

[Student List: Kenneth Lowery - Slytherin
Valentina La Russa - Gryffindor
Lexine Vance - Ravenclaw
Alice Lancaster - Slytherin]

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Third Years. She had been a tad shocked at the small numbers of students she had gotten last year. Small numbers meaning one, but she was thoroughly impressed with that one and hoped to see more like it with this new upcoming set. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art I, my name is Professor Ellis and I will be instructing you this year. To start the class I'd like you to introduce yourself, which House you're in, and why you chose Art. I'll get things started off! My name is Naitanna Ellis, I didn't attend Hogwarts but I was told I would have made a great Ravenclaw, and I'm in Art because I love the multiple ways I can express myself. Now one of you."
Diamond Wales

mrs-lestrange

Arkendrai

murruelecreuset

[Wearing: Date Night] [With: Students] [Where: Art classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New Year, new hopes] [OOC: Those who's character is on the class list are quoted]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxthe worst failure is the failure to try.

Third Year | | Thirteen | | Ravenclaw | | Single | | Half-Blood | | Reserve Seeker

Lexine walked quietly into Art class playing with her bracelet. She sat and waited for class to start. The first thing to do: introductions, as per usual. "I'm Lexine Vance, Ravenclaw. I chose art because I've always been interested in art, I suppose..." She said, still fingering her bracelet.

uniform x ooc :: - - -

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:42 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: Art : Tuesday (2:00pm to 2:45pm)

Alice skipped to her art class. She hadn’t seen Jasper since lunch but that’s only because he had a class before hers. She knew it probably bothered him but it wouldn’t be helped, she’d see him later for sure. Seeing Lexine as she walked in Alice took a seat next to her. She really hadn’t talked to her friend much since the start of the New Year. It sure did bother her just a bit. As the professor introduced herself Alice beamed with happiness. She couldn’t wait to get started in this class.

“My name’s Alice Lancaster. I’m in Hufflepuff and I chose Art because I love being able to express my thoughts and feelings with it.” Alice answered happily. She usually sketched everything she saw and a lot of times it was her visions she drew. It helped her understand them better sometimes.

With: Classmates

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

Positive and optimistic,
Kind as well,
You should do well here...
Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:05 pm

User Image
User Image

Lexine Vance - Ravenclaw
Alice Lancaster - Hufflepuff]

Tanna was over the moon at how many students were in her introductory Art class. She made sure to smile at each person as they walked, on time or a bit late. The young teacher walked over to the chalk board and began writing in her curly script: Lighting and Frame in your artwork "There are a number of ways that light affects or interacts with artwork, from how a piece is lit, to deliberately incorporating the interaction of light within the work. Lighting of artwork is crucial to supporting the meaning of the artwork. Strong lighting creates strong highlights and shadows, which enhances the physical form of the object. Strong lighting is often used with classical Greek and Roman sculptures of the human body. The lighting reveals the contours of the figure and emphasizes its physicality. Diffuse lighting, which means the light on the object is more spread out, minimizing shadows and contrasts and making the object appear flatter, minimizes the physicality and contours of the body, and accents its stiff pose. Light in other works of art could be for dramatic contrast, to enhance the beauty of what or whom ever you draw or paint, or to create a two dimensional look to your artwork.
Now, that's just the lighting you create, natural light such as from candles, light bulbs or sunlight can also enhance the beauty of your art. Reflections are like magic in some ways. They transform a space in dramatic ways and make it appear infinitely larger, depending on the placement of reflective surfaces such as mirrors. Water can also be used to make reflections to create a sense of peace, calm, and serenity. Water has a naturally soothing effect on people, and the depth of a reflection within a pool creates an opportunity for contemplation.
Framing for all intent and purposes is not just the frame holding in the picture, it is also the main focal point of your art. Without a frame your art could seem endless with one no mater how big or small it is constrained but in a way that you created.

Tanna paused after her short speech and looked to see if anyone was confused before going back over to the board and writing, Proportions .
"Proportion refers to the relative size of parts of a whole (elements within an object). We often think of proportions in terms of size relationships within the human body.Michelangelo's sculpture David represents the Renaissance emphasis on the ideal, based on the ancient Greek model of the ideal: rationality reflected in the portrayal of perfection in the human body."[ Here Tanna gestured to her own smaller David on the side of the classroom.] "This sculpture is an excellent illustration of both scale and proportion in art. Proportion doesn't just stop at the human body, it could be used for landscapes, portraits, interior design. floral arrangements even! And, it can also be used to make dramatic and even controversial images of what you want to convey. The art of photomontage is a method where you piece together elements from different sources and alter the scale of objects in the composition as well as proportions within the human body. Think of it as almost making a cartoon but using real images of that person.

For the remainder of class I would like you to do two things for me: First, I would like you to draw whatever comes to mind and then attempt to add light and or frame to this sketch. Second, I'd like for you to attempt to draw your head, not just your face your actual head, using the mirrors provided upon my desk. If you have any questions or issues please don't hesitate to ask me.
Now as for homework I would like you all to go into a bathroom that has a mirror and take a candle with you. Light the candle and examine your face from different angles to see the different contrast and shadows the light offers and if you can draw your favorite angle. Another exercise I'd like for you is to go take a walk at different times of the day, if your schedule allows you, and notice the light the sun makes upon the area around you. Mark the shadows and note where they are and if they moved. This isn't graded it's merely a guide to enhance your knowledge and understanding of lighting. If you hit a problem please don't hesitate to raise a hand and when you're finished you may leave."
she grinned happily and waited for everyone to start.

Diamond Wales

mrs-lestrange

Arkendrai

murruelecreuset

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Continuing on!] [OOC: Those who's character is on the class list are quoted]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:54 am
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxthe worst failure is the failure to try.

Third Year | | Thirteen | | Ravenclaw | | Single | | Half-Blood | | Reserve Seeker

Lexine walked into class quietly and sat. She listened closely and took notes on Professor Ellis's lectures, then listened closely as she explained what they were to do. Lexine nodded gently and started working. The first thing she was going to draw was a simple tree. After all, it wasn't all that difficult to draw, and considering she was working on shadows it turned out to work very well. She also practised with a few different shapes -- a sphere, cylinder, cube -- at adding lighting and shadows.

Afterwards, she started on her head sketch. She walked up to Professor Ellis's desk and grabbed a mirror before hurrying back to her seat. She drew carefully, trying to get it as close as possible to how she truly looked. It was difficult, and Lexine doubted that the picture looked even close to her, but it at least looked human, which was good...

uniform x ooc :: - - -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:56 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: Art : Tuesday (2:00pm to 2:45pm)

Alice took a seat in class with a big smile. Taking notes as Professor Ellis taught the lesson she thought about lighting and framing. Lighting she got that much she was sure of. Even framing wasn’t all that hard for her to understand although she’d never thought about it. After what was probably one of the longest lectures Alice had ever sat through she went to work on sketching. If there was one thing the Hufflepuff was good at it was just that so this wouldn’t even be a problem.

Working on what appeared to be… a bird flying through trees. Next thing Alice knew she had a work of art. “I surprise myself sometimes.” She said looking over at Lexine. Alice then headed up to the professor’s desk and grabbed a mirror. Sitting back down she went to work on herself. It was another somewhat easy task for her. She sure had a thing for art no wonder she chose to take the class.

With: Classmates

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: I just noticed that under the student list you have Alice as a Slytherin and not a Hufflepuff.

Yukina101

Positive and optimistic,
Kind as well,
You should do well here...
Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am

User Image
User Image

Lexine Vance - Ravenclaw
Alice Lancaster - Hufflepuff]

Tanna walked into her Art classroom excited for her budding artists. She had been looking over their past works in her office and she could see the visible improvement in some and also the raw talent in others. It was enough to make her want to dance when she thought she was helping the next generation of artists! That thought in mind she smiled and eagerly went over to her blackboard to write, Backgrounds, before turning to the small class.
"Hello again students! I've been so impressed by all of your sketches these past few weeks so I think you're ready for the big shot. Today we'll be putting together all that we've learned with one simple idea: backgrounds. One of the biggest challenges in drawing and sketching is tackling background space. Often times we get caught up in the foreground and ignore or only half-heartedly realize a successful background for our foreground imagery to occupy. A strongly drawn or sketched background can provide necessary context for what’s happening in the foreground, and can add visual interest to keep the viewer’s eye moving and examining the image. And pencils are a robust but forgiving medium that provide the flexibility to explore these background environments. The rules to background are pretty simple:

Overlap: How objects overlap other objects in the picture determines how the viewer understands the space. Anything overlapping or partially obscuring something else will appear closer to the viewer
Relative Scale: Obviously, things that are bigger will appear closer, especially in comparison to a smaller version of the same kind of object.
Relative Position: This may be less intuitive than the previous two concepts, but things that are lower in the picture appear closer. Things that are higher seem farther away.
Dark vs Light: Dark objects usually appear closer and light objects usually appear distant. This is a real phenomenon in nature known as atmospheric perspective. It’s the reason far-away mountains are a light, hazy blue, while closer mountains and other objects are darker and retain more contrast.
Horizon: The horizon is always the same as the viewer’s eye level. You can place the horizon wherever you want in a drawing, but it determines the viewer’s eye level. So anything placed above the horizon line is above the viewer. Correspondingly, anything below the horizon is below the viewer. So unless you want the viewer to think he’s floating on a broomstick, you’d better make sure that street lamp extends above the horizon.

Currently on your desks are different subjects, animals, people, inanimate objects, etc., what I would like you to do is draw a background around that subject and create a story. Is that a lion in an African safari or lounging in the shade of a muggle office building? Why is their a tea cup in the middle of a pond? Whatever it is you can think of create! For extra credit you could sketch both the subject and the background and I'll award your points towards your overall grade as well as House Points!"
Tanna clapped happily excited for today's project.

Diamond Wales

mrs-lestrange

Arkendrai

murruelecreuset

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Continuing on!] [OOC: Those who's character is on the class list are quoted]

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff