Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The evoloution of the english language Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jolly Rotten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:25 am
Quote from Yvl

I just joined this guild... and I'm quite surprised as to how many people here have such taut beliefs on the english language. Quite honestly... it makes ya'll look like old-timers (Oh I went there!) or at the very least, it makes you look very much bored. VERY much so.

Perhaps, but so what? Who are you to tell us? Let us remain dusty, if that is what we chose.

Honestly, I think that at a certain point of understanding, its fine to tamper with the rules of a language a bit. If it catches on, so be it. Languages will get stale and boring after a while, IMO.

Depends on what kind of person you are. While I don't mind slang such as "don't", or "you're", I do mind slang like "omg im lyke teh roXXorz". That's not a language. That's retarded.

Slang, for example, is just a way of expressing your personality. Yo is a form of expression, which is what languages are for... if you understand it the first time you see/hear it, its part of the language, in other words. I never have understood how to respond to "What's up" though.

"Yo", is, if I've understood this new breed of idiots right, the "gangsta" way of saying hi. Looks like they just cut the legs off a "You" to be able to talk faster, like rappers. *shrug* I agree on the "What's up", though. What's up? Well, the sky?

My bottom line is... learn to evolve. You don't have to change with the language... but is is ridiculously pointless to get irritated even in the slightest over new forms of speech.

Your bottom line is mocking, if you're telling us to accept this "slightly new form of speech". It's no slight change, it's RAPE. They're raping a language.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:32 pm
I'M AN OLD-TIMER?! I'm twelve.  

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

The Aged God

Divine Cleric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:08 pm
Yvl
Before I start... I should mention that I am very seldom 100% serious, and that I have surgically removed all bitterness from myself, somehow, so don't take offense ot anything I say.

I just joined this guild... and I'm quite surprised as to how many people here have such taut beliefs on the english language. Quite honestly... it makes ya'll look like old-timers (Oh I went there!) or at the very least, it makes you look very much bored. VERY much so.

Honestly, I think that at a certain point of understanding, its fine to tamper with the rules of a language a bit. If it catches on, so be it. Languages will get stale and boring after a while, IMO.

So... I tend to put twists on my spelling and grammar. I actually got this idea from my Parakeet, who came up with words such as "Hello theres" when there were multiple people he was addressing. For an example of what I do... double contractions. I'd've, or I'd'a. If this seems atrocious to you, keep in mind Shakespeare did the same thing. In fact, he was the first to say "Woot." (well, woo't, as in wouldst thou, but woot nonetheless)

The fact is... at the point that I go, you can still understand me. If anything, my quirks add to my character (I hope so at least!) I talk online the way I would IRL (BTW I think abbreviations are fine as well -- kinda necessary when playing MMORPGs, and lets your fingers stay lazy.)

Slang, for example, is just a way of expressing your personality. Yo is a form of expression, which is what languages are for... if you understand it the first time you see/hear it, its part of the language, in other words. I never have understood how to respond to "What's up" though.

My bottom line is... learn to evolve. You don't have to change with the language... but is is ridiculously pointless to get irritated even in the slightest over new forms of speech.
Please, by dear God himself, recheck this for one little grammatical mistake. <33  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:17 pm
I agree that a certain amount of wordplay is what keeps a language alive. I have a tendency to verb nouns (just like I did there). And context is everything. I speak/write differently at work than I do at home than I do online.

The danger is when one doesn't know the correct structure before playing with it. I have a similar feeling regarding satire--one needs to know good music/writing/art/film before intelligently making fun of it.

Oh, and I am an Old Timer. I prefer Geezer. Just don't call me ma'am.

And yes, several people were correct in saying a fortnight is 14 days (or 2 weeks).  

slightlyfoxed

Kohy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:09 am
Yvl
Languages will get stale and boring after a while, IMO.

I can understand what you're trying to say, but for the part about language getting stale and boring after a while, admittingly, you lost me.

I live in St. Lucia and for those who have no idea where that is, it's a small island in the Caribbean and we follow England's way of schooling and so forth.

As for this evolution in language, well the first big one ever to me was when english people moved to America to get away from England, and what did they do to the language? They decided to spell words differently. 'Colour', 'flavour' and other words similar to the two became 'color' and 'flavor'. Words such as 'organise' and 'realise' became 'organize' and 'realize'. This may not seem like a massive change to a lot of people as 'what's the problem with changing the spelling of the word?' But if you live where I do, you need to know the english way as well as the American. And be aware that although we've learnt both, when writing an essay, if the British english is used in my essay, my whole essay is to be written using the spelling of Britain.

Therefore, if I started an essay with the word 'colour' and then used the word 'organization' I would lose marks for spelling a word that may be right to Americans but sadly, wrong for me. This has made my learning life more miserable and unbearable.

If you plan to tell me that some things need to be changed as to not make our language 'stale' and 'boring' then I am sorry to say that I disagree with you.

I prefer the language I've learnt at school and even if it may get boring, at least I don't have to worry about learning a new concept just because some idiot got bored with the language of his ancestors and decided "Oh! Why not say this instead?"

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 pm
It is a germanic language, Inforced with latin from the early Roman invaders, Therefore english is a language of its own especially since it changes every 200 years...  

shadedflame

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces