Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
What do you think about Crossplay Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 pm
Jani Seguchi1
smithers456
Jani Seguchi1
I have never had a problem seeing anyone crossplaying. I mean I think if you are a person of a certain gender and your favorite character is of the opposite gender I say go for it. I have seen some people who have pulled it off quite well. And I must say the ones I have seen you certainly can't tell if they are male or female in a male outfit until you hear them speak. They pull it off that well. I have also seen males in female clothes. Quite interesting if you ask me.

The Sailor Moon series is quite popular and I have seen a few guys dress up as the scouts and they seemed comfortable doing so and they were easily accepted at conventions.

I have seen man Misty before. Quite interesting if you ask me. But yeah there have been quite the number of male crossplay costumes I have seen and some can actually pull it off.

If they guys want to cross play their favorite character, more power to them!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 am
xinitia
Son Goshi-kun
Out of the 12 or so cosplays I've done, 5 of them have been of female characters the rest have been male.

I prefer crossing playing as guys due to comfort and modesty. I don't like my body showing all that much, so the more covered outfits the guys in anime wear suit me better. I also make an amazing man. biggrin

http://ayamari-no-goshi.deviantart.com/art/Next-up-to-bat-203650322

http://ayamari-no-goshi.deviantart.com/art/Superboy-NYCC-2013-Cosplay-419890743

http://ayamari-no-goshi.deviantart.com/art/Shikamaru-Nara-82881734

Nicely done! I gotta agree with you on the.. modesty of guy's outfits. I really like your wig work, by the way.

Thanks! But I shouldn't get all the credit there. I'll make my costumes, but I won't touch the wigs... My friends are kind enough to do that for me. I'm someone who shouldn't touch hair with scissors, period.

(sorry, I disappeared for quite a while)  

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 am
smithers456
Son Goshi-kun
Out of the 12 or so cosplays I've done, 5 of them have been of female characters the rest have been male.

I prefer crossing playing as guys due to comfort and modesty. I don't like my body showing all that much, so the more covered outfits the guys in anime wear suit me better. I also make an amazing man. biggrin

I checked out your Cosplays / Crossplays. You did a great job on them!! I checked out your Deviant Art page as well. You are also an incredible photographer. Make sure that you check my Deviant Art Cosplay Photography page. Keep up the good work. smile

Thanks! Some of my other cosplays don't have photos either because I didn't like them or I just forgot to have someone take a pic for me. I'm really bad at remembering to take photos at cons......

....And which photos do you mean? The cosplay or the ones from my vacations...?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 pm
Son Goshi-kun
smithers456
Son Goshi-kun

I checked out your Cosplays / Crossplays. You did a great job on them!! I checked out your Deviant Art page as well. You are also an incredible photographer. Make sure that you check my Deviant Art Cosplay Photography page. Keep up the good work. smile

Thanks! Some of my other cosplays don't have photos either because I didn't like them or I just forgot to have someone take a pic for me. I'm really bad at remembering to take photos at cons......

Both the photos from your vacation and the cosplay ones were really good.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:01 am
smithers456
Son Goshi-kun
smithers456
Son Goshi-kun

Both the photos from your vacation and the cosplay ones were really good.

Thanks! blaugh The wonders one can do with a small Kodak camera.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:28 pm
xinitia
smithers456
xinitia
Most of my friends and I crossplay. Many of my favorite characters a male, so why not cosplay as them? It becomes a fun challenge!

What was the hardest Crossplay character and or outfit that you came up with?

Hmm... That's a tough question...

Gray from Fairy Tail, Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin, and Iron Fist from Marvel Comics required the most logistics because they're shirtless. I was able to get a flesh-colored leotard, but haven't had a chance to add shading to it, yet.
User Image(I'm on the left)

Is that what you meant by difficult?

One of my more convincing was probably my new Musica from Rave Master. My proof? I was kicked out of the women's bathroom... twice... in the same day. I'd consider that a success.

User Image

I love your Gray crossplay! I've really wanted to crossplay as Gray too! He is my favourite character on Fairy Tail! I was thinking of pretending to be injured so I could wrap my chest with white bandages.
(sort of how he looks here:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413124403/fairytail/images/b/b6/Gray_assuming_the_position_for_Iced_Shell.jpg )

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:37 pm
I agree with everyone.
I, too believe that if you want to crossplay as the opposite gender, then go for it! Not only can it be quite a challenge, but a fun experience too!

This may be a silly question, but is crossplay and genderbend the same thing?
For example, I want to cosplay as Death the Kid from soul Eater, but I was thinking of doing a girl version of him. What would that be called?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:19 pm
Starz-N-Madness
I agree with everyone.
I, too believe that if you want to crossplay as the opposite gender, then go for it! Not only can it be quite a challenge, but a fun experience too!

For example, I want to cosplay as Death the Kid from soul Eater, but I was thinking of doing a girl version of him. What would that be called?

That's usually called the "fem" version of the character: fem!Death.  

xinitia

Crew

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 pm
Starz-N-Madness
xinitia
smithers456
xinitia
Most of my friends and I crossplay. Many of my favorite characters a male, so why not cosplay as them? It becomes a fun challenge!

Gray from Fairy Tail, Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin, and Iron Fist from Marvel Comics required the most logistics because they're shirtless. I was able to get a flesh-colored leotard, but haven't had a chance to add shading to it, yet.

One of my more convincing was probably my new Musica from Rave Master. My proof? I was kicked out of the women's bathroom... twice... in the same day. I'd consider that a success.

User Image

I love your Gray crossplay! I've really wanted to crossplay as Gray too! He is my favourite character on Fairy Tail! I was thinking of pretending to be injured so I could wrap my chest with white bandages.
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100413124403/fairytail/images/b/b6/Gray_assuming_the_position_for_Iced_Shell.jpg )

You can also do the pre-strip version of Gray. He has plenty of outfits to choose from. Ironically, he has more clothes than most of the characters in the series (not that we see them for very long...).  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:35 pm
xinitia
Starz-N-Madness
xinitia
smithers456
xinitia

User Image

You can also do the pre-strip version of Gray. He has plenty of outfits to choose from. Ironically, he has more clothes than most of the characters in the series (not that we see them for very long...).

Haha, that's so true- he does! I'll have to look into it more. Thanks! =D  

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:36 pm
xinitia
Starz-N-Madness
I agree with everyone.

That's usually called the "fem" version of the character: fem!Death.

Oh nice! Thanks, I didn't know that! I like when people get creative with fem versions of characters lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 am
My friend always crossplays and she's the cutest ever!
My other friend also pulls off a pretty cut girl.

Nothing wrong with it.
I feel if you're accepting that people cosplay .. then you wouldn't bat an eye at the thought/sight of crossplay.  

Fire Ako

Sparkly Noob

9,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

ItsOverIsntIt

Dapper Millionaire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:33 am
I love crossplay. I haven't been comfortable enough to wear a female cosplay until this year, so I usually cosplay guys. It helps me learn the makeup differences between the two genders.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:35 pm
MJforeverkingofpop
I love crossplay. I haven't been comfortable enough to wear a female cosplay until this year, so I usually cosplay guys. It helps me learn the makeup differences between the two genders.

It can be hard at first to wear a cosplay outfit of the opposite sex. One way to look at it is that at the heart of cosplaying you are dressing up as a character that you like a lot. Crossplay is the same thing. Most people at cons don't see any difference between the two. I can appreciate the effort that it takes to create a crossplay outfit. It can take more effort and additional help to pull it off.

In this Guild we welcome and help both cosplayers and crossplayers create their outfits. If you need help with creating an outfit or with makeup our crew members are here to help you. My door is always open for questions and then I can direct you to the crew member that can help you the most. Also feel free to start a thread in either the Cosplay Help or Tutorial Sub Forums and you can get help from either a crew member or even another Guild member that has done something similar. Make sure to read the Tutorials in the Tutorial Sub Forum. Some of them can help you out as well.

Keep in mind that whatever or whoever you Cosplay / Crossplay is to have fun doing it. If you are a little uneasy Crossplaying at a con make sure that you are with a friend or a group that can make things easier.

I hope this helped.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

ItsOverIsntIt

Dapper Millionaire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:44 pm
That's very encouraging! But I don't hunk I said what I meant to say. I'm a female and have pretty bad self esteem issues. A lot of female outfits are tight fitting or have short skirts so I started off cosplaying guys because it allowed me to be characters I loved, but also to wear pants and looser clothing.  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff