Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GLKilowog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 pm
lol Kyoko you rock. I had no idea how to do the "classic ska"  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:36 pm
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

But,I actually picked up skankin' really fast. Nobody told me how, and I did it right.

Same here xD But this is Ska School!~ Honestly though, I dont think there's any way to skank right. Or wrong, for that matter.

Thanks GL ^^  

Speed Calypso

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:10 pm
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

But,I actually picked up skankin' really fast. Nobody told me how, and I did it right.

Same here xD But this is Ska School!~ Honestly though, I dont think there's any way to skank right. Or wrong, for that matter.

Thanks GL ^^

EXACTLY! As long as you are moving and having fun, nothing else matters  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:38 pm
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

i definitely agree with that. the only frustrating part is trying to skank with stupid emo kids who knock you over and fat drunk metal heads who shove you around  

The Jace

OMG Supa Kawaii

1,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:42 am
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

i definitely agree with that. the only frustrating part is trying to skank with stupid emo kids who knock you over and fat drunk metal heads who shove you around

Emo and metal head? band combo.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:24 am
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

okay, i think you're totally right about that. but then there's "how to skank" and like, yeahh..so i'm not sure if i'm doing it right. confused domokun  

AquabatLady

Spiral Tuboflex

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:48 pm
The Beat. How do I love thee, let me count the ways..  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:48 am
MetalHead76
The Beat. How do I love thee, let me count the ways..

heart  

King Of The Ska
Captain

strawberry poo kmoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:10 pm
Kyoko Toshi
And now,

Skanking 101
By Bob Timm.

A 1990s prime time network cartoon featured a couple teens tossing a Toasters record on the stereo, with one friend proclaiming, "C'mon, let's do the ska!"

If you're a big fan, that probably sounds like a great invitation, but it may also strike fear into the hearts of young new fans. In fact, there are many ska fans out there who might (or should) confess to not knowing much about how to dance to this great music. What exactly is the ska? the skank? the rocksteady? the monkey?

Before you go crazy with steps and instructions, we must realize that there are some strange permutations of history that have warped the history of the skank. In the dancehalls of Kingston, Jamaica, in the early 1960s, dancers developed a natural style of bouncing and swaying to the hot new beat. When the dance and music were introduced to the world at the 1964 World's Fair in New York, however, neither the music, the dancers, nor the dance were completely authentic. Rather than transport genuine West Kingston rudies to Flushing, New York, the Jamaican government chose to present a cleaner, more stylized version to America. Decidely non-Jamaican dancers Ronnie Nasralla and Jannette Phillips led crowds through dances like "the ska," "the ska row," and "the ska ride," all of which were much more regulated than anything done in Kingston. In fact, the classic Jamaican skank is really very simple, but moving when you see old black and white footage of well-dressed Jamaicans bouncing in unison.

To do the classic, authentic skank, follow these simple steps:
(After you get your music, of course - I recommend The Specials!!)

Step One: Bend Forward
Get that stiffness out of your spine, hang forward, but not too far, and get those arms and knees loose.

Step Two: Bend Knees and Elbows
Bend your elbows and clench your fists if you want to get that real rude attitude. Try to look more like you're getting ready to go sprinting rather than skiing.

Step Three: Claim Your Space
Get those feet shoulder-length apart, move one foot slightly forward, and take up as much of the dance floor as you can while you start your arms cranking back and forth. It might help if you pretend your shaking some maracas.

Step Four: Start Moving
Feel the beat. Get those arms swinging slightly and feel the bounce as you swing your hips. Move your weight from one foot to the other with each skank. Make sure you coordinate your arms and legs. If your right fist is moving forward, you should also be moving your right knee forward as you shift your weight. Then shift to the left.

Step Five: Skank to the Beat
Now start to vibe with some classic ska sounds. If you're doing a classic skank, your feet should not be moving too much. Rather, you should be bouncing with the upbeats and cranking those elbows. For added style, get a real cool expression and stare somewhere off in the upper corner of the room. Preferably with shades.

I was taught that you should have the opposites going. (right arm, left leg; left arm, right leg.)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:17 pm
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

: feels offended :
why does it seem that the ska community is against emo?  

strawberry poo kmoo

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:12 pm
strawberry poo kmoo
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

Ska and emo are the EXACT opposites.

Ska=Happy, lively music. Emo=sad, dead music.

And trust me, the two different fans DO NOT mix well stressed  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:38 pm
God Of The Ska
strawberry poo kmoo
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

lol. all music makes me happy XD. I never considered it sad and dead... anyways, emo stands for 'emotional' O_o
XDXD
I guess I'm more of an idiot than I thought. If emo is sad and dead, then why don't they just call it gothic and get it over with? XD. I don't see the point for having two different names for the same type of music.
Oh well. XD  

strawberry poo kmoo

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:44 pm
strawberry poo kmoo
God Of The Ska
strawberry poo kmoo
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

lol. all music makes me happy XD. I never considered it sad and dead... anyways, emo stands for 'emotional' O_o
XDXD
I guess I'm more of an idiot than I thought. If emo is sad and dead, then why don't they just call it gothic and get it over with? XD. I don't see the point for having two different names for the same type of music.
Oh well. XD

Personally I agree  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:47 pm
God Of The Ska
strawberry poo kmoo
God Of The Ska
strawberry poo kmoo
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

XDXD
Oh well. XD

Personally I agree

XD. I don't think emo should even exist, then, as a genre. Emo's *supposed* to stand for 'emotional', and if they're only sad, they're not emotional... they're sad XD. Emo *should* cover a wide range of emotions, or have a lot of emotion put into it, or whatever XD  

strawberry poo kmoo

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:03 am
strawberry poo kmoo
God Of The Ska
strawberry poo kmoo
God Of The Ska
strawberry poo kmoo
The Jace
God Of The Ska
Kyoko Toshi
God Of The Ska

ROFL! heart

Thanks GL ^^

XDXD
Oh well. XD

Personally I agree

XD. I don't think emo should even exist, then, as a genre. Emo's *supposed* to stand for 'emotional', and if they're only sad, they're not emotional... they're sad XD. Emo *should* cover a wide range of emotions, or have a lot of emotion put into it, or whatever XD

That's a good way to think of it.  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces