Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Second Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts II ~ *1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 pm
User Image
Gertrude Laura Adelwood
Adopted Muggleborn
Second Year Hufflepuff

I go by Gertie...
Oh and I'm 12 years old...

Gertie didn’t mind defense class. Some of the spells were quite interesting. Spells seemed to be her thing so long as it didn’t require every fiber of her being to focus. Transfiguration was pretty rough. However, she’d get through it. Mostly with help from friends, that’s what friends were for right?

Sitting in class Gertie thought the Tickling Charm would be fun. Though she supposed if you didn’t like being tickled it would be very fun. Either way she had to try her best to tickle either Darren or Larissa. After copying down the notes and playing around with her wand in attempts to get the motion down, she headed for the line. Standing in wait for Larissa, Gertie went through the motions in her head. She could do this.

Stepping in front of Larissa, Gertie held her wand and gave the feather shaped wand movement. “Rictusempra!” She said causing a silver light to appear. Larissa doubled over in laughter before the effects wore off and she was back on her feet. Gertie giggled happily. She got it to work. That was fun!

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

With: Class...

OOC: ---

User Image

No one's doubting your brains or creativity
But it's your heart I'm interested in
Ravenclaw's nice, but I believe you'll flourish best in
Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 pm
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon looked fairly serious about today's lesson. "I expect," she said, once everyone was seated and quiet, "Diligent notes and strict observance during today's lesson. The disarming charm is one of the, if not the most, important spells you will ever learn during your time here. It has saved countless lives and for the more glory-seeking among us, won countless duels. Once your opponent loses their wand, in many cases, the fight is over. Of course, some people are highly skilled when it comes to wandless magic, but that's another matter entirely. My point is, do not laugh this lesson off, even if you don't think you'll ever need this spell, even if you're not good at this class. If you cannot master this, you should not be carrying a wand," she said sternly.

"Expelliarmus forces the target of the charm to release whatever they are holding, be it a wand, quill, knife... It is extremely common in duels, and has been since the fourteenth century, when, according to our good friend Miranda Goshawk, it was invented by Elizabeth Smudgling, who competed in an international dueling competition in Dartmoor in 1379. When it came down to her and one other wizard, she narrowly escaped death by disarming him with a charm unheard of before. She won the cup and was awarded the title of Supreme Dueler."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"Now, I want a line in front of me, and one by one, you all should attempt to disarm me. The light from your wand should be scarlet." Fanchon settled into a dueling stance, wand raised, and waited for the first brave volunteer. "Remember, it's ex-PELL-ee-ARE-muss."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:04 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the second years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what a knock-back jinx accomplishes? The curriculum has undergone some changes over the years, but you should have mastered that spell last year."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:53 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft
SlytherinSecond YearTwelve Years OldSingle

Some of her classmates may have thought it odd, but Faina really liked her Defense Against the Dark Arts class, in fact it was one of her favourites, despite, or maybe because of, the notoriously difficult subject matter. In her book, only a fool didn't learn to protect themselves if the chance to do so presented itself. Though her stomach was reminding her it was nearly time for lunch, Fiana focused her thoughts upon her subject matter.

Raising her hand, and waiting to be recognized, Faina answered the professor's question. "The Flipendo Jinx is used to knock down objects and people, though it will not keep them down, and is recommended for use by inexperienced spell-casters, such as ourselves."

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Precious and fragile things, need special handling
                  My God what have we done to you?

We always try to share, the tenderest of care
                  Now look what we have put you through

Things get damaged, things get broken
                  I thought we'd manage, but words left unspoken
                  Left us so brittle, there was so little left to give "

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm
Rhett Fang Ye
<2nd year>

While Rhett did not find himself a natural at Defense Against the Dark Arts he knew the class was important and was determined to learn all he could. Never knew when neo-death eaters might strike like they did while his sister was in school. It also helped that Rhett liked the professor a lot. She was an interesting person and she had a very laissez faire personality that Rhett respected. He followed the rules because he chose to in this class not because he feared the professor. That was how things should be. He took a seat next to his friend, Faina, and was not surprised when the Slytherin quickly answered the professor's question.

Time: 2037-2038
                  Looking: Ready for Adventure

Hello, then, Rhett
                  Hm, adventurous and reckless,
                  And you like pranks and can't sit still
                  Yes, I know just where to place you

Gryffindor!

{OoC: }
                  Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:29 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was discussing something with an older Gryffindor and older Slytherin, possibly sixth or seventh years, when the second years arrived for class. After they had sat down she stepped to the front of the room to start the lesson. "Today you'll be learning the Tickling Charm, which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and usually only used in duels. But it may prove handy in some odd situation one day, so here we are. This is Darren," the boy waved awkwardly, "And Larissa," the girl smiled, "Who have agreed to be guinea pigs for this lesson."

Fanchon drew her wand. "The effects of the tickling charm are simple. It causes the target to double over in uncontrollable laughter, temporarily keeping them from casting any spells. Darren?"

The blond boy stepped forward, drawing his wand as well. "Expell-,"

"Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" Fanchon snapped, and he doubled over in wheezing laughter, holding his midsection as he tried to get a hold of himself. After a few moments the spell gradually wore off, and the older boy straightened back up, looking a little winded but no worse for the wear.

"As you can see, the light should be silver, and the movement goes like this:,"

"Now, I'd like two lines, and for each of you to have a go casting it on one of these two," she indicated the two teens with a jerk of her head.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon looked fairly serious about today's lesson. "I expect," she said, once everyone was seated and quiet, "Diligent notes and strict observance during today's lesson. The disarming charm is one of the, if not the most, important spells you will ever learn during your time here. It has saved countless lives and for the more glory-seeking among us, won countless duels. Once your opponent loses their wand, in many cases, the fight is over. Of course, some people are highly skilled when it comes to wandless magic, but that's another matter entirely. My point is, do not laugh this lesson off, even if you don't think you'll ever need this spell, even if you're not good at this class. If you cannot master this, you should not be carrying a wand," she said sternly.

"Expelliarmus forces the target of the charm to release whatever they are holding, be it a wand, quill, knife... It is extremely common in duels, and has been since the fourteenth century, when, according to our good friend Miranda Goshawk, it was invented by Elizabeth Smudgling, who competed in an international dueling competition in Dartmoor in 1379. When it came down to her and one other wizard, she narrowly escaped death by disarming him with a charm unheard of before. She won the cup and was awarded the title of Supreme Dueler."

"Now, I want a line in front of me, and one by one, you all should attempt to disarm me. The light from your wand should be scarlet." Fanchon settled into a dueling stance, wand raised, and waited for the first brave volunteer. "Remember, it's ex-PELL-ee-ARE-muss."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am
User Image
Faina Patrovna-Harcroft
SlytherinSecond YearTwelve Years OldSingle

Faina took seriously Madam Cohen's advice, having watched the other students practice this Charm at Dueling Club, she understood what she trying to impress upon them. She took careful notes as the lecture went on, and studied the wand movements. As the lecture went on, she was curious to hear more about this 'wandless magic', having seen a few students use it exclusively at the club. She made a note to ask Madam Cohen about when she had a chance to ask things at length.

When the time came, Faina was determined to be first in line to try her luck against her teacher. She never wanted it said of her that she shrank from a challenge. With all the seriousness she could muster, the twelve-year old witch bowed formally, before she copied her teacher's dueling stance. Gesturing with the tip, Faina called out, "Expelliarmus!" A dart of crimson light spat from the end of her wand...

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Precious and fragile things, need special handling
                  My God what have we done to you?

We always try to share, the tenderest of care
                  Now look what we have put you through

Things get damaged, things get broken
                  I thought we'd manage, but words left unspoken
                  Left us so brittle, there was so little left to give "

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the second years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what a knock-back jinx accomplishes? The curriculum has undergone some changes over the years, but you should have mastered that spell last year."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 pm
Maximillian Leonis,Second year,Ravenclaw

Max walked into the class and sat down in one of the middle rows he decided to skim through his textbook while waiting for the class to begin. when the teacher posed her question he stopped for a minute thinking then raised his hand "Maximillian Leonis, Ravenclaw. the Knockback jinx strikes the target with great force which can push the target back or send it flying." he said before sitting back down.

OOC:

true bboy

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:05 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was discussing something with an older Gryffindor and older Slytherin, possibly sixth or seventh years, when the second years arrived for class. After they had sat down she stepped to the front of the room to start the lesson. "Today you'll be learning the Tickling Charm, which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and usually only used in duels. But it may prove handy in some odd situation one day, so here we are. This is Darren," the boy waved awkwardly, "And Larissa," the girl smiled, "Who have agreed to be guinea pigs for this lesson."

Fanchon drew her wand. "The effects of the tickling charm are simple. It causes the target to double over in uncontrollable laughter, temporarily keeping them from casting any spells. Darren?"

The blond boy stepped forward, drawing his wand as well. "Expell-,"

"Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" Fanchon snapped, and he doubled over in wheezing laughter, holding his midsection as he tried to get a hold of himself. After a few moments the spell gradually wore off, and the older boy straightened back up, looking a little winded but no worse for the wear.

"As you can see, the light should be silver, and the movement goes like this:,"

"Now, I'd like two lines, and for each of you to have a go casting it on one of these two," she indicated the two teens with a jerk of her head.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:07 pm
Maximillian Leonis,Second year,Ravenclaw

Max was waiting for the class to start when n the teacher spoke up he opened his notebook and jotted down her words copying the spell pronunciation and drawing the wand movement. Max stood up and waited for his chance to use the spell he felt a little bad that his classmates had to go through this spell so many times but was relieved he wasn't chosen. when he reached the front of the line Max carefully traced a feather in the air with his wand "Ric-tuh-sem-prah" he said as a stream of light hit his target causing them to flinch and giggle. Max didn't see the need o send hem into a fit just making sure he had the concept right was enough.

OOC:

true bboy

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:40 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon stood in the back of the room, rather than the front, in preparation for today's lesson. "I want a line in front of me, horizontally," she said, as the students entered. "Today we'll be learning the smokescreen spell, which is incredibly useful during duels or when you need to get out of a dangerous situation unseen. The spell generates a cloud of smoke, hopefully thick enough to make it very difficult for your opponent to see you, and more importantly, aim at you. The incantation is fumos, and the light of the spell should be yellow." She demonstrated with a swirl of her wand:

"Alright, now one by one, try it. It's alright if you only get a few wisps of smoke at first."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

Second Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff