Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When the teachers of schools 'txt tlk'... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wrong?
  Yeah.
View Results

KiraLight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:16 pm
my school has smartboards too, but there's no way in hell that they'd use text talk..  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:21 pm
I just found out that every software in our school uses text talk. eek
Even the Language Arts software uses text talk.  

Archdemonessa

KiraLight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:11 pm
My socials teacher actually lets us use text talk. But that's because the people in my class are so damn slow at writing stuff down that using text talk speeds it up by a couple of minutes  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:46 pm
The fact that teachers are using "txt tlk" in class is beyond me.

I myself at one point used to use some sort of shortened speech on AOL Instant Messenger and such. However, I noticed it was beggining to affect my writing, and quickly, I stopped.

The fact that teachers are using "txt tlk" in class means that he's advocating the mis-spelling of common words in the English language - and that's downright embarrassing...  

Nomader

Shinigami Banchou sama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:35 pm
What?!

Teachers?! What has become of this world, out of all people teacher?

Teachers are supposed to be against bad online grammar not support and join in it!

That is a shame and should be a crime....

I sincerely hope your teacher was only doing that for speed of writing and not for abusing grammar....  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:44 am
I too have been experiencing this problem at my school. My Geography teacher is now using 'txt tlk' in our quizzes and such. He mispells everything, and I reprimand him for it.

When did it become that students should be able to correct their teacher's grammar and spelling!?

He used b/c on our last test, and mispelled tons of words. I find it utterly repulsive. In my opinion, I believe that this lack of literacy will lead us back into one supreme idiot language, consisting of grunts and j/k noises.

"73|-| |_337 0wnz0rz j00r 50u|_!!!oneone" is just annoying.

Personal Jetpack

Eloquent Shapeshifter

6,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200

KiraLight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:35 pm
Nomader

I myself at one point used to use some sort of shortened speech on AOL Instant Messenger and such. However, I noticed it was beggining to affect my writing, and quickly, I stopped.

The fact that teachers are using "txt tlk" in class means that he's advocating the mis-spelling of common words in the English language - and that's downright embarrassing...
that's been happening to a lot of my classmates lately. We had to write an essay a few months ago and my teacher showed us some of the mistakes people made.

1. tis (its)
2. u (you)3. lol (don't know what to say to that..)
4. 2 (to)
5. 4 (for)
6. b/c, w/e (keep in mind that this is a class essay worth 5% of our mark)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 pm
I
Some Dumbass Teacher
[C0L0r=bl00]lykomg i dun no y u k!d5 r $0 5tup!d!11!tip n da pr0p3r ingl!sh l4ngu4ge1!```~ LYKMI. M4C N CHI$3. DUMB455 K!D5. HOWR EDOOC4SHUN SISTIM I5 FAYL!N US BCUZ O U.!11!11 IM $0 L!T3R4T3![/c0l0r]

*tear* That was so painful. I was insulted by someone that couldn't even spell their own ******** NAME.

crying

Damn, the HORROR...

That took me twenty minutes. The teacher's post, not mine.

sweatdrop

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:01 am
No "txt tlk" at my school is ever allowed. eek We'd be crushed under the giant foot of authority  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:05 pm
gonk This reminds me of when we had to read the newspaper in Reading.

I was looking through the thing, and I saw an article that looked interesting. I read the thing and laughed. It was titled, "What your Kids are Saying." They translated 'txt tlk' and told parents about '1337' speak. Worst of all, they were bad at it. sweatdrop  

Nami Tsuki

[-True Illusion-]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:19 am
lola_siannodel
So, someone who should be teaching you how to read and write is using text talk in front of his students? How ironic and sad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:39 pm
Nomader

Same thing here.
I now spend my time as...
A GRAMMAR NAZI.
-had a picture hosted to put here but lost the link- sweatdrop

anarchist_by_marriage

Jesus Pancake

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:55 pm
That's sad..Really sad.  
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:07 pm
If one of my teachers wrote like that, I would openly laugh at them. And I mean to their FACE. Although, my teahers are probobly the types that laugh at txt talkers.  

[[ Vanilla ]]

Mangabrary

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:17 pm
Dark Master Pineapple
NO!!!! NO!!!!

Okay, so I'm a 6th grader, 12 years old, yadda yadda yadda. My classroom is a technology testing class, and we have a huge smart board--a huge computer that is wounted on a wall that has special markers to be used for writing in WP documents and on websites, hypothetically. Anyway, so we were taking notes on these really sucky fantasy books, and my teacher was giving an example ont he smart board, with 'txt tlk'. I'll go cry somewhere now.
Don't worry, us students will chastise that teacher like there's no tomorrow.

A somewhat relevant story: Some of my teachers accept papers written in 'txt tlk' and it scares me.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff