Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
IT'S A VERB, NOT A NOUN! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

aznspartan94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:57 pm
A word can have multiple meanings and usages. Google is a search engine and a really long number. It can be used as a noun, search engine and number, or as a verb, "I googled Gaia." Using that simple change of context in the sentence can change the meaning and form the word is.
Quote is also socially accepted as a verb and a noun.
The four-letter words can be used in the 4 basic forms, noun, verb, adjective, and adverb. If those can be used so many different ways, then why can't quote be used as a noun and a verb?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:24 pm
Jill_Frost
Quote:

noun (plural quotes)

Definitions:

1. literature ( informal )
Same as quotation (sense 1)

2. printing
Same as quotation mark ( often used in the plural )

3. North America business estimate for work: an estimated price for a job or service

-as per MSN Encarta dictionary

Sorry folks, it is a noun. This is what we should be having a problem with: bootylicious was accepted into the English lexicon as a word. Is it something in the drinking water that is making everyone stupid? Stop the world; I want to get off.

Thank you! I knew it was a noun. Even if it is an abreviation of quotation, it's still a noun.

Oh the joy of new words... -.-; *Restrains from going into another 'emo' rant.*
It's not a verb damn you!

Oh, and google I'll use as a verb ocasionally, but with my family it's more of a running joke. We know it's not a verb.

What really gets me is 'writ'. What kind of a word is WRIT!? It's write, damn you! WritE! Or 'written'! Or even 'wrote' in some cases, but never writ! Oh yes... You 'writ' it did you? What does that mean? [/seethe]

Ithaya

Jill_Frost

Greedy Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:52 am
Ikonik Angel
What really gets me is 'writ'. What kind of a word is WRIT!? It's write, damn you! WritE! Or 'written'! Or even 'wrote' in some cases, but never writ! Oh yes... You 'writ' it did you? What does that mean? [/seethe]

Writ:

Pronunciation: 'rit
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old English wrItan to write

1 : something written : WRITING
2 a : a formal written document; specifically : a legal instrument in epistolary form issued under seal in the name of the English monarch b : an order or mandatory process in writing issued in the name of the sovereign or of a court or judicial officer commanding the person to whom it is directed to perform or refrain from performing an act specified therein c : the power and authority of the issuer of such a written order -- usually used with run
-as per Merriam-Webster dictionary

- - -

Writ is a word too; just not the way it is commonly used.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:59 pm
O_o
You guys are way over my head.
I couldn't make a dictionary definition if you made me..
>_<;;
But I agree with you guys. Some words shouldn't be words. Like 'googling'. Google is a number, get it straight. It is also a company(which leads me to think: the google search engine coming up with a google of found sites for a search?), but that doesn't allow it to automatically become a verb. You can't Powerade or Nike something.

...Nike is Greek for victory...

anarchist_by_marriage

Ithaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 am
Jill_Frost
Ikonik Angel

Writ:

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old English wrItan to write

2 a : a formal written document; specifically : a legal instrument in epistolary form issued under seal in the name of the English monarch b : an order or mandatory process in writing issued in the name of the sovereign or of a court or judicial officer commanding the person to whom it is directed to perform or refrain from performing an act specified therein c : the power and authority of the issuer of such a written order -- usually used with run

- - -

o_0 I never knew that... But it's a noun, not a verb...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:07 am
Jill_Frost

This is what we should be having a problem with: bootylicious was accepted into the English lexicon as a word. Is it something in the drinking water that is making everyone stupid? Stop the world; I want to get off.

Sorry, ma'am, but it's spinning too fast to be stopped. You're gonna have to jump, which will likely result in your demise.  

I am Jaques colon

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:05 pm
Jill_Frost
Quote:

Sorry folks, it is a noun. This is what we should be having a problem with: bootylicious was accepted into the English lexicon as a word. Is it something in the drinking water that is making everyone stupid? Stop the world; I want to get off.

My reaction from the word Bootylicious being in the dictionary was similar to my reaction when finding the word peeping Tom in the dictionary.

I guess mankind has decided that they need to update the younger generation's vocabulary as we find it too hard to say beautiful or other words of that meaning....  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:27 pm
I actually never noticed that. Thank you for showing me the light! heart  

Mangabrary

Casey Stephens

Durem Duelist

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:43 pm
You know what word is almost always misused? Nauseous. It means, "To cause others nausia." xd  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:29 pm
Jill_Frost
Ikonik Angel

Writ:

- - -

<33
I must honestly say, I'd never heard the word Writ before Civics and Economics class, but there it is actually used a lot.

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200

Totle

Gallant Reveler

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:04 pm
Even funnier, "disrespecting me" is grammaticaly incorrect. It should be "being disrespectful to/towards/ect. me" Likewise for respect, is should be "show me respect" or "be respectful"  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:41 am
To be fair, in English nouns become verbs and verbs become nouns all the time. (Usually the latter become gerunds, but there are exceptions.) English isn't a picky language that way, and especially with the invention of new technologies, it has been absorbing new words faster than you can shake a stick at.

For instance, take the case of to google. The world decided it needed a good word to mean 'to search for something on an online database.' To google, or googling, fit the bill and has now become pretty much accepted. There isn't a lot you can do about it.  

Sola Catella

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:21 am
Hm, at my school everyone says 'Do you want to go to break' at break time. What they mean is 'Do you want to go to the school canteen to get something at break time?', but 'Break' has now turned into the name of a place rather then a certain time in the morning. Quite interesting really, I guess it's just that people are just to lazy to say the correct sentence.

I found a Melissa scented candle once, it was very nice, though Melissa scented?? The name unnerves me.  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:42 pm
Actually... dictionary.com has it listed as both a verb, and a noun. So in acordance to that, it is being used correctly.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=quote  

The_Wrench_Ninja

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:30 pm
I do love cinnamin scented candels, they are quite nice! They do a good job of filling up the room, especially during the holidays.

Washinton Mutural is a bank that I will never go to, reguardless of whatever happens, because they call themselves "WaMu" It is horrible! I wish I could cry from it.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff