Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that should not be misused Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should we strive for words to be used correctly?
  Of course!!
  No, what's the point?
View Results

BabbleFish

Shameless Smoker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:11 pm
The phrase "same difference" bothers me. It didn't used to because I'd heard my mother say it often. I don't exactly remember who first pointed out to me how stupid that phrase was, but I thought about it and now it just aggravates me.
Every time someone says that phrase I have to stop myself from screaming at them exactly how stupid it is. If something is the same as the other object they can't be different! You're contradicting yourself when you say it. I don't think I've actually used it since the fourth grade. whee  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:34 pm
BabbleFish
The phrase "same difference" bothers me. It didn't used to because I'd heard my mother say it often. I don't exactly remember who first pointed out to me how stupid that phrase was, but I thought about it and now it just aggravates me.
Every time someone says that phrase I have to stop myself from screaming at them exactly how stupid it is. If something is the same as the other object they can't be different! You're contradicting yourself when you say it. I don't think I've actually used it since the fourth grade. whee
That's true. My dad says it all the time, but it doesn't bother me. I suppose I'm used to it! sweatdrop  

Mangabrary

]Me[

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:26 pm
Gay, retarded, and stupid.
For example:
"What? That rule is so gay!"
"Man, that`s RETARDED!"
"Oh, you`re so stupid!"

I just hate it when some of the kids in my school use these words like this. Just because somebody didn`t learn what something is or was because they`ll learn it a week or a day from now doesn`t make them stupid, correct? Holy s**t, they`re retarded!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:01 pm
BabbleFish

I agree with you on the point that it's stupid, but not that it's completely wrong.
What it means is that both things have the same differences in common, if that makes any sense.
Even with that said, when you say that you're saying that the two things are different.
So, that brings me back to the point of it being incredibly idiotic... XD

Embers_and_Ashes

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:03 pm
<[I heart you, you hate me... we're a happy family...]>

Well, all the words I feel should not be used lightly by our society have already been put here... However, I must say I never really noticed "same difference" was a silly phrase until I looked at it on it's own and not in a sentence. I have been so ignorant throughout my life -_-"

<[I... I'm hyperactive heart User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:05 pm
Ignorant, when mis-used makes me so mad, "oh, you so Ignorant" "that was Ignorant", i hate when people say that.  

Ravendart

GiftNinja xD

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:10 pm
Ravendart
Ignorant, when mis-used makes me so mad, "oh, you so Ignorant" "that was Ignorant", i hate when people say that.

I really hate that too...-__-;  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:52 pm
I strongly dislike the use of the word "cancer". It may not have the same hard meaning as in the Netherlands (Seeing is in cases of English speking people you can have it, or be one)

But in my country it's just a word for a nasty and undeserving disease. The Dutch word is also a tad more harsher I guess. But it's not nice to read it in English as well. Using such diseases in insults or as casual banter is not nice, not at all.

I'd blame Seinfeld for coining the "nazi" term, he started it with his infamous "soup nazi" remark.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

beliael

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:12 pm
"LOL". Not my favourite word, but I hate the extent to which it's been used. Gosh, do people really laugh that often when constructing a post? Some people practically use it as a full stop! E.g. "That's so gay lol I bet your mom was there lol I finished my homework lol". What the hell?  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:18 pm
Mangabrary
lola_siannodel
Kohy
Changing one word with another such as 'fanatic' doesn't make anything better, be it how dark the word 'Nazi' really is, as I would know people who would still get upset with the term 'fanatic' since it is just away to show how crazy they are over something.

There are a multiple of words misused, all used in the sense of bad-talking another person. I personally hate it when someone calls a woman 'b*tch'. And therefore instead of saying words misused such as 'gay' or 'retard' and so forth, are terrible and shouldn't be used, I think we should just refrain from calling someone something 'demeaning' in general. It would make everyone a happier person in the end.

I hate calling a woman a b***h, and acting like that's alright. I hate it when I talk to a girl, and she asks me about something, I refuse to answer, and she would ask "Why, b***h?". Yeah, that's why. A b***h is a female dog, or unpleasent woman. Not one's girlfriend (which, if it could be concidered derogitory, like saying that she's your sex object. Girls, if your boyfriend calls you a b***h, dump his a**, and do it in the most humiliating why possible.), and you shouldn't call your friend that (I, personaly, consider it an insult). I've been called a b***h by my ex after he asked for sex (and I refused). It's not a good word.

I also see 'Nazi' and 'communist' thrown around all the time. Usualy, by ignorant, older men who probably where too full of themselves and how they are beter. I also hate people who think that certain capitalist countries are communist (Japan is one. Russia, too, which is now a democracy.). Using 'Nazi' to describe someone who is not a Nazi is just taking it lightly. I also get annoyed when people compare Bush to Hitler, and say Bush is worse. Now, I'm not a Bush fan, but he's no where near as bad as Hitler.
I'm with you on that. I really dislike Bush but, come on people! You don't see him murdering hundreds of thousands of Jews!
millions actually.  

Kavuu

Aramethea

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:00 pm
Here's one - niggardly.
Function: adjective
1 : grudgingly mean about spending or granting : BEGRUDGING
2 : provided in meanly limited supply

A politico - I can't remember who - used this in a speech a few years ago to describe the spending cuts by Congress for certain social programs. He caught holy hell for it. Now, I don't think it should be banned. As an aspiring writer, I abhor any kind of censorship. But in the current educational climate, I can understand why people reacted the way they did. No one learns English anymore. Shakespeare used this word, for goodness sake!  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:55 pm
I can't really think of any words that annoy me. I just don't like it when someone uses curse words or the same word or phrase constantly. Like when someone says "like" over and over, or "you know" after every sentence they say.  

Ammera

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:05 pm
Aramethea
Here's one - niggardly.
Function: adjective
1 : grudgingly mean about spending or granting : BEGRUDGING
2 : provided in meanly limited supply

A politico - I can't remember who - used this in a speech a few years ago to describe the spending cuts by Congress for certain social programs. He caught holy hell for it. Now, I don't think it should be banned. As an aspiring writer, I abhor any kind of censorship. But in the current educational climate, I can understand why people reacted the way they did. No one learns English anymore. Shakespeare used this word, for goodness sake!

XD I checked it up in my dictionary. After the part of it being an adjective, it further goes on to say 'often offensive'. Mankind is too 'easily hurt' if that's the case. Politics can be a little harsh in the words they use sometimes, but to give him hell for a word that simply means such, that's sort of foolish in my case...

beliael
"LOL". Not my favourite word, but I hate the extent to which it's been used. Gosh, do people really laugh that often when constructing a post? Some people practically use it as a full stop! E.g. "That's so gay lol I bet your mom was there lol I finished my homework lol". What the hell?

"LOL" baffles me....I can understand it being used such as 'haha' in an online conversation among friends, but why do people use it when talking?! I hate it when I hear someone say "lol" as if it's a word, and so natural to say...  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:29 pm
The word "Ain't".

stressed

People that use it make me mad.

And force me to eat them.

(People wonder why I'm so fat. What, with all the people I have to eat.)

Mutturqueen

6,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Confused Cotton Socks

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:17 pm
"I could care less" bothers me. It's supposed to be "I couldn't care less."  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff