Which?
  Roy
  Marth
View Results

ChaosGENE

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:49 pm
Indigo Swordsman
ChaosGENE
You guys might say Marth is better, but me personally, I like Roy. This is one of the most annoying things ever though.

When you do dolphin slash(?) with Marth, you're fast, but you're so vulnerable. That's what irks me the most, but with Roy, you do your blazer(?) and the foe goes up with you.

I prefer speed over strength yes, but I think that I'm better with Roy because of the strength. I just think that Marth's a little to weak, and the speed with Roy is just fine with me.

Indigo Swordsmen, it's your call. I'd like to have a small talk about this 3nodding

Alright. :3 I always enjoy intelligent discussion about things like this. Y'know, a break for the whole 'Link is best because he's awesome!' xd

Roy's a great character, don't get me wrong. It's just, well, Marth is broken. D:

Range - This would probably be Marth's biggest advantage over other characters. Why? Because it's crazy-a** long and it applies to all of his moves, even throws. Also, the sweet-spot of his hits is at the tip of the Falchion, which allows him to abuse the range. Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure his range is the best in the game (Ganon's may be longer, I don't remember).

Priority - Marth out-prioritizes most other characters, especially in the air. This makes juggles just a bit easier since Marth is harder to swat away while in the air than Roy.

Speed - Self-explanitory. He's faster and can get more hits in, juggle better, etc. It's not that Roy's slow, it's just that Marth's pretty damn fast.

F-smash of DOOM - While Marth's dragon slayer does less damage than Roy's f-smash, it has advantages over it's counterpart. It has greater reach, which makes it easier to be hit by. It still does a decent amount of damage, and it has greater knockback. Almost all of Marth's moves can chain into a fsmash, but that's also true for Roy.

That said, I agree with your point that he's too weak. (He'd be disgusting if he were stronger, though. XD) Also, Roy's counter and upB don't suck a** while Marth's do. (I cut the dolphin slash completely out of my game and only use it to recover.)

I personally like Roy, and I like it when people take the time to learn low-tier characters. I main as Zelda, and she's even lower on the tier list than Roy. XD

OO;;

If that's all true, then damn, I'm liek converting the next time I hold a controller in my hands.

The priority, speed, and fsmash, I completely agree with, but I sure didn't know anything about the range...I didn't notice it--I just thought that it was the same with Roy that wherever you hit the enemy with your blade, they go flying in different directions (Tip of blade, goes up, bottom of blade, goes far, In the middle, goes like all smashes)

With that said, I can easily agree with you that Marth is better. I remember the good times when I was a complete fifth grade newb and knew nothing about melee--just smash. I wanted a different character to be with, so I saw Marth and I played with him for a while...and even as a newb...he was pretty damn good! xDD The fsmash is amazing. Really.

Guess I chose Roy because I did blazer much more that time.

He is a bit weaker...that's why I usually have trouble winning the matches...but now, like I could actually miss the fsmash on fox and recover quickly without screaming and losing a stock. He is really fast. I just have trouble knocking them out for real. I like the counter though, honestly, I think it just gives me time to breathe--even if it's just like 7 or 6% damage.

Any hints?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:16 pm
ChaosGENE

OO;;

If that's all true, then damn, I'm liek converting the next time I hold a controller in my hands.

The priority, speed, and fsmash, I completely agree with, but I sure didn't know anything about the range...I didn't notice it--I just thought that it was the same with Roy that wherever you hit the enemy with your blade, they go flying in different directions (Tip of blade, goes up, bottom of blade, goes far, In the middle, goes like all smashes)

With that said, I can easily agree with you that Marth is better. I remember the good times when I was a complete fifth grade newb and knew nothing about melee--just smash. I wanted a different character to be with, so I saw Marth and I played with him for a while...and even as a newb...he was pretty damn good! xDD The fsmash is amazing. Really.

Guess I chose Roy because I did blazer much more that time.

He is a bit weaker...that's why I usually have trouble winning the matches...but now, like I could actually miss the fsmash on fox and recover quickly without screaming and losing a stock. He is really fast. I just have trouble knocking them out for real. I like the counter though, honestly, I think it just gives me time to breathe--even if it's just like 7 or 6% damage.

Any hints?

Converting between Roy and Marth is surprisingly hard. xd I can't play Roy for the life of me.

Well... you're sort of right, but Marth's and Roy's swords are different. Both have excellent range, but Marth's range is the more abusable of the two. For Roy to do the most damage possible, he has to 'sweet spot' his hit, which is about the center of his blade. But with Marth, his sweet spot is the very tip of his blade. That means to do alot of damage, Roy needs to be up close to his enemy while Marth can keep his distance.

As for tips on beating your friend's Fox... save yourself the trouble and just get a new friend who *doesn't* use Fox. xd

Or you could try spamming throws against him. Marth can chainthrow fox pretty easily, and shield grabs are always great. It really depends on how he plays Fox, though.

Marth is an excellent edge-guarder, so it shouldn't be too hard to kill Fox once he's off the edge. Edge hog if possible. If he uses his Fire Fox move to get back on, you can predict where he'll come down and fsmash him back off the edge before he lands. His neutral A's pretty good for keeping opponants off the stage as well because it sweeps in an arc. Just stand near the edge so that the arc covers below you too. His down A's good for some characters, plus it's fun to poke people with your sword as they're trying to recover. ^w^

Indigo Swordsman

diranithedemon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 pm
See Roy and Marth have there ups and downs. They both have good range.
~Marth~
He has the speed and can recover from an attack like nothing. He is better for juggling and better for combos. He attacks a lot faster

~Roy~
He is slower then Marth but is stronger. His uppercut attack can carry the opponent up making it do even more damage then what Marth can.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:39 pm
diranithedemon
~Marth~
He has the speed and can recover from an attack like nothing. He is better for juggling and better for combos. He attacks a lot faster

~Roy~
He is slower then Marth but is stronger. His uppercut attack can carry the opponent up making it do even more damage then what Marth can.

Well, at least you understand that Marth isn't completely useless.

Your point about Roy being stronger is correct, but his Up B doesn't constitute much of an advantage considering the awesome come out time and knockback of Marth's up B.

Roy's best points are his chain throws, F-smash, down tilt and shuffl game.  

ArcVyse

Phantom_Renegade

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:13 pm
Arc Angel Gabriel
diranithedemon
~Marth~

~Roy~

Well, at least you understand that Marth isn't completely useless.

Your point about Roy being stronger is correct, but his Up B doesn't constitute much of an advantage considering the awesome come out time and knockback of Marth's up B.

Roy's best points are his chain throws, F-smash, down tilt and shuffl game.

u forgot about his DED, its definately a staple move of roy  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:34 am
Indigo Swordsman

I'm getting tired of you calling Marth useless. He's far from it. Marth has speed, range and priority over most other characters, insane juggling abilities and an ABSOLUTELY GODLY fsmash. He's one of the best characters in the game. He's top tier and with very good reason!

Have you played a Marth that SHFFL's his aerials, chainthrows, and wavedashes effectively? The answer's no. I know because if you have, you wouldn't be calling him useless, that's for sure. Marth can be disgusting when in the right hands. Every newbie with a c-stick knows how insane his fsmash is. Add that with the many, many ways to chain into that fsmash and you've got yourself an amazing character.

Roy can be a good character if used properly, but he just doesn't compare to the unbalanced range, speed and knockback that Marth possesses.
YA YOU SAID IT MARTH RULES!!!!!!!!  

guardian of summoner yuna

Final Cloud Strife

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:12 pm
ROY!!!! CAUSE HE IS MY FAVORITE AND BEST CHARACTER!!!!  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:39 am
they are the same for me because roy over here has superior strength but on the other hand he would have to get way in to cause some real damage;While marth could just blow you away with the tip of his blade.
But i prefer roy because I like his fire 4laugh  

Yoko Hino

Roy Soraxis

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:25 pm
Its so strange that I almost always seem to win from Marth players with Roy then the other way around >.>...

And Roy's Blazer does more damage aswell as when you use the Reverse Blazer you're opponent flies high up (Jigglypufs and G&W can be killed with that attack instantly).
And not to mention that his Blazer comes ALOT further.

Give me Roy anytime and I beat the hell out of people.

Even Helios (Swedish Number 1, Fox player) who had smashed against me was impressed about my skill with Roy so for all the Marth fans who want to try to say that I wouldn't stand a change against a good Marth... don't because I have proven otherwise.

Beware that I am not claiming to be the best or that no Marth player can defeat me because I know aswell as you all do that I'm not invincible.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:42 am
Roy is much better excpecially with his 1 hit KO move  

hikishi

Indigo Swordsman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:13 am

Well of course, it always comes down to the skill of the player in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:48 pm
Here, watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4300975011074561942

Now get over Roy, he is NOT better than Marth.  

ArcVyse

Phantom_Renegade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:58 am
tell me now, can roy ever hope to do anything that crazy, well let me answer u NO FUCl
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:07 am
if save the best for last is true than Roy is better than Marth because no matter how you do it you get Marth before Roy  

hikishi

ArcVyse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:44 pm
hikishi
if save the best for last is true than Roy is better than Marth because no matter how you do it you get Marth before Roy

In what way does 'Save the best till last' have ANYTHING to do with it?

Did you watch the video in the link above?  
Characters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff