Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Grammar vs. Spelling Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dianersj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 pm
Personally I'm more of a grammar freak than a spelling freak. Mostly because my hands have a way with placing the wrong letter in the middle of a word so, I can sympathize with those who misspell. BUT! I cannot and will not forgive those who blatantly abuse my sympathy by misspelling on purpose; for instance the ever so popular “bai bai” or Don8 and other atrocities. I suppose I’m more of a grammar person because of my family. My parents are bilingual and my mother works in an office as a secretary for a chiropractor. And as luck would have it she says things in a way that gets the point across but she still said it wrong. An excellent example of this would be “I could never figure it out they way she has her hair like that.” No matter what the circumstance she always adds the “it.” Worse scenarios include “Oh yeah, I sawed that on television a few nights ago.” I felt my heart ache after hearing this. “Sawed?” So I believe myself more to be a grammar nazi. ^.^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:43 am
Between spelling and grammar, mispelled words are my deepest heartache. I can forgive grammar because it gets confusing sometimes, but what's the point of all the punctuation marks in the right place if you can't read the message?  

Coco Beware

STiCK3R3S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:11 pm
Well, I guess I'm more paticular about grammar because most of my family has dyxlecsia and so do a lot of my friends. I guess I have more sympathy for those who spell badly then people who are just being lazy.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:11 am
I am more of a grammar freak. I really hate it when someone abbreviates simple words because they are lazy. It drives me insane!  

Red-Chocolate

Rini Haru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:02 pm
Me? Well, I'm more of a grammar freak. Sometimes we miss spell. And that's okay. We all make mistakes. But grammar? Um. Kinda easy. For instance, "I wasn't the one." is correct. But, "I weren't the one." Well, that's kind of a "No-branier."
I mean. Yes sometimes. I forget the simplest stuff. Like capitalization of commas, but come on! And when you use the word, "Ain't" Well, that just gets on my freaking nerves people!
Yes, it is in the dictionary. But that's because they used it in the old times. When people use that word now, it soundslike they're saying, "Ain't chu da one."
Oh my gosh! So freakin anooying dude! Okay. That clears my point. I'm a grammar freak.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:02 am
Well, really, it's a diction thing rather than a grammar thing, and in that, I agree. I think either can be correct, though. "commit" has a much more negative connotation, as well. *shrug* I guess what I'm saying is that the word has to fit the exact nuance you're aiming for.
Red-Chocolate
I am more of a grammar freak. I really hate it when someone abbreviates simple words because they are lazy. It drives me insane!
Isn't that somewhat oxymoronic since abbreviations are grammatically correct?

I hate to be nitpicky, but many of the people who are claiming here to be grammar freaks either have moderately low grasp of grammar themselves or cannot actually differentiate between grammar and style error. For example, the use of contractions is stylistically appropriate in fiction dialogue, and while it is not necessarily appropriate for formal papers it is also not a sin in of itself. The use of idiom is natural and denotes a historical evolution of language.

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers