Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Avatar Talk
Question: Avatar Contests - Attracting Contestants Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Think this topic deserves our attention?
But of course! We could all use the advice.
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
No, not really. We should be able to figure it out on our own..
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
This topic has already been discussed! (point me in the right direction?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Who cares, I just want gold ATM.
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

[waffles]

Dedicated Loiterer

7,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:55 pm
I've never held an avatar contest in the AT, but occasionally I'll peek in on one that sparks my interest. The ones I like best are the ones with interesting or challenging themes, not just an overall best avatar contest. If I were to consider joining, I would want the entry fee to be a reasonable price, and I wouldn't want the holder of the contest to make an outrageous amount of gold. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:01 pm
This seems to be a tough topic to get started. ^^;  

Cognizance

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Damn Leprechauns

8,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:08 pm
Methinks you went a teensy bit overboard with your reserving...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:21 pm
Atlantima
Methinks you went a teensy bit overboard with your reserving...

^^ Yeah... I tend to do that at times. LOL I realized that after the page was taken up and thought "Do I really need all that space??"

Meh... if I do, I do. If not, oh well... this is a brainstorm thread anyhow. wink

I could always put some lovely pictures up there in some posts. *giggle* Feature some nifty avatars? ^^

Oh, and I added a little questionaire to get us started. heart

Cognizance

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Crawlerette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:46 pm
Personally, I like the Avatar Contests that have a really interesting theme. Such as MAKE FOX ITEMS WORK!, PIRATE THEME!, etc. Put some thought into it, and it really gives people ideas. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:23 am
Crawlerette
Personally, I like the Avatar Contests that have a really interesting theme. Such as MAKE FOX ITEMS WORK!, PIRATE THEME!, etc. Put some thought into it, and it really gives people ideas. 3nodding

True, a good theme does help! Good call. heart  

Cognizance

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Cognizance

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:19 pm
*BUMP*  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:15 pm
Good judges is also a importaint aspect to look at. They should be people that you know are fair in rating, have been judges in the past, and that they won't favor one of their friends in the contest over others who have a better avatar. Last judges who work for free is a plus. biggrin  

aisuakuma

Thirteenth Member

Nena

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:13 pm
Do you host avatar contests?
sometimes
How many have you had so far?
Did you feel they turned out successful?
yes, except the last one It took along time to fill up
Explain to me a little bit about how you ran your contest. Any details you would like to give.
So,you're looking for tips.. Sure, first decide if the judging is going to be done by poll votes or judges or random members coming into the thread. I usually do poll votes so I get ten contestants and I do themes depending on whats hot around gaia ex..pets seem to be the items now, so I would see who can match their outfit to thier pets better, and so fourth. I can get into lots of information on this (contest lover) pm me. Oh and I have 3 prizes with a reasonable entry fee and not to much profit for myself. ex.. if your entry fee is 300 with 10 spots - 1st.prize 1100g* 2nd.prize 800g* 3rd prize 500g *. leaving you with a profit of 600g which you can play with ex.. best bumper gets a prize (keeping this a mystery) this way you can pay 20g each to the 5 best bumpers and still make a profit of 500g for yourself. Don't forget it should be fun so stay active.
hope this helps Cognizance xd  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:23 pm
aisuakuma
Good judges is also a importaint aspect to look at. They should be people that you know are fair in rating, have been judges in the past, and that they won't favor one of their friends in the contest over others who have a better avatar. Last judges who work for free is a plus. biggrin

Most definitely. I agree. ^^ I believe I mention that in the judges sticky in AT.

But do you thin that having the judges pre-determined and anounced is a good thing? Do people look at that prior to entering?

Nena
...Oh and I have 3 prizes with a reasonable entry fee and not to much profit for myself. ex.. if your entry fee is 300 with 10 spots - 1st.prize 1100g* 2nd.prize 800g* 3rd prize 500g *. leaving you with a profit of 600g which you can play with ex.. best bumper gets a prize (keeping this a mystery) this way you can pay 20g each to the 5 best bumpers and still make a profit of 500g for yourself. Don't forget it should be fun so stay active.
hope this helps Cognizance xd

Most definitely! I like the idea of best bumper prize. I've seen that implimented in many contest threads. I think that's a good note to keep. ^^ And three prizes is a good thing. I've been only offering 1 prize, an unopened letter, in my contests. And I like to give a little something to my judges for their participation as well.  

Cognizance

7,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Orlyescence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:40 pm
I've attempted to host an Avie contest before, and the results were less than favorable... Maybe I should have started a free contest first before attempting a paying one...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:58 pm
I've held one contest in my rating thread, which was just a basic contest. It was tough getting people to join, and it seemed like they came in groups. x.0
Right now I have a themed contest going and no one has entered for a couple of weeks. D:

Something I did notice however, is if you put "X/X Spots Left!" in the thread title, you tend to get people in faster. But that's only worked for me once. o0

Nonchalant

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff