5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Unsure
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 38

Wampyr Konig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:50 am
I think I'm Earth. My Chinese zodiac element is wood, and I've always loved trees. I tend to be most comfortable around rock and wood, and, to a lesser extent, metal. I do like to think of all the elements as equal in my practice, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:55 pm
Elias Starsson
I think I'm Earth. My Chinese zodiac element is wood, and I've always loved trees. I tend to be most comfortable around rock and wood, and, to a lesser extent, metal. I do like to think of all the elements as equal in my practice, though.
as do i, but i feel a stronger connection with my elements differntly  

Akwila

Cosmic Space Orange

Tipsy Mage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:30 pm
fire  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:24 pm
Since I'm a Cancer, my element is Water. There isn't much areas with tons of water though because I live in the middle of a city. Plus it's near the center of the border to the United States. How do I get in touch? Even though there's puddles everywhere from all the melted snow.  

Yukimura Akechi

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:31 pm
Yukimura Akechi
Since I'm a Cancer, my element is Water. There isn't much areas with tons of water though because I live in the middle of a city. Plus it's near the center of the border to the United States. How do I get in touch? Even though there's puddles everywhere from all the melted snow.

Heh. I'm a Cancer.

My primary element is fire, and my weakest is water. mrgreen Just because the stars say you should be a certain way doesn't mean it's true.

Are there lakes or streams near you? That would be one way to experience it. Walking in the rain is something else you can do. Or go swimming, if you really feel the need. Sounds like you're somewhere cold ... an indoor pool is not ideal, but it's better than nothing. Or try keeping an aquarium, with real plants as well as fish.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:18 am
Jishin
Yukimura Akechi

Heh. I'm a Cancer.

My primary element is fire, and my weakest is water. mrgreen Just because the stars say you should be a certain way doesn't mean it's true.

Are there lakes or streams near you? That would be one way to experience it. Walking in the rain is something else you can do. Or go swimming, if you really feel the need. Sounds like you're somewhere cold ... an indoor pool is not ideal, but it's better than nothing. Or try keeping an aquarium, with real plants as well as fish.
i like that aquarium idea  

Akwila

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:29 am
akwila
i like that aquarium idea

mrgreen I have three. Did I mention I'm weak in water? wink Make sure you do your research before you get a tank. While keeping fish is not hard, there are some little details (like the ammonia cycle) that will be lots easier if you know about them before you start.

PM me if you want more fish-info.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:43 am
I don't really have an element. Once I realized how many different elemental systems there were (four ele-, no five...wait...seven? ARGH!), I couldn't really pick one that I felt drawn to, so I just stopped using elements at all.  

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200

Rakei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:04 am
Tahpenes
I don't really have an element. Once I realized how many different elemental systems there were (four ele-, no five...wait...seven? ARGH!), I couldn't really pick one that I felt drawn to, so I just stopped using elements at all.

You shouldn't elements are a powerful asset, and well Its easiest to use the five element system, earth, fire, water, air and akasha(spirit) it fits the pentagram too. biggrin and the directions north, south, west, east and center (set as above)
Did I ever say what element I am? *goes to check*

Edit: Nope I didn't... I was sure I did... anyways... I'm Earth, though I mostly use air its easier to manipulate if thats the case... but I connect with both at the same time, when I do, and I don't have to do anything special earth is just beneeth your feet and air is all around you... though I prefer to connect outside with bare feet, our grass is so soft whee and in spells if I do them I mostly use air to carry them unless its a larger change I'm going to make, then I prefer earth...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:12 am
Tahpenes

That doesn't seem very wise. You should explore the elements more, rather than running away from them altogether. I'm fairly sure there are only 5 (earth, water, air, fire, spirit), so I'd start with them. Just explore them all on a basic level, don't search for "your element". After you begin getting comfortable, delve into them more deeply. That is probably when you will feel a stronger connection with at least one. I don't know about the 7 element system you are referring to (makes me think of pokemon, using time and electricity as elements) but generally speaking, 5 is the number. I would not try to ignore the elements. They're all around you, so why not what they are and what they can do?  

The Wallaby

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:18 pm
Elements are just a tool like any other, and they're cultural/social/psychological constructs. I'm not "running away" from them, I just don't feel as if using an elemental system would help me since that isn't how I perceive the world. Elements aren't an inherent aspect of the universe; they're a simplification in order to help people focus and maintain an inner system of order and categorized recognition.

No single system of elements is an inherent breakdown of the world, either (except maybe the periodic table blaugh ). The Pythagoran elemental system (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) has been the most commonly used in 20th century Western neo-pagan systems, but it's certainly not the default. Our contemporary Greek-based five elemental system, which is a favorite among many nowadays, seemed to get a lot of influence for including "spirit" or "akasha" from the New Age movement. Of course, there's also a Chinese five-element system: fire, water, wind, earth, and wood. There's also a seven-element version: wood, stone, metal, wind, water, fire, energy/lightning. Then there are a number of other systems that individuals or groups use; I've even met people who use a Final Fantasy-based elemental system.

But if an overly analytical person like me is going to sit there and say to themselves, "Using these four/five/seven particular elements makes me feel like I'm pantomiming, since they're not necessary and are only allegorical and they aren't significant to my cultural background," then that's going to be a distraction rather than an enhancement.

It's no more necessary to recognize or use elements than it is to separate the concept of "god" into male and female aspects, or to have animal spirit guides, or to have sex on a specially prepared altar.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:06 pm
i dont know about the 7 element wheel, but i like the 5 elements  

Akwila

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:00 am
Tahpenes
Elements are just a tool like any other

Exactly. If they don't work for you, they don't work for you.

I have an instinctive draw to the four-element pool (fire, water, air, earth), and that whole spirit thing ... well, I don't know how I feel about it. Spirit is not an element in my book. It's a compound. wink

Sure, they're allegorical / metaphorical tools. This is a batch I find helpful. The whole Feri "blue fire" meditation, for example ... that batch I don't find helpful. It's all in what works for you.

If you get along fine without it, there's no reason to force yourself to work with it. Out of curiosity, what metaphorical tools do you use, or do you attempt to avoid them altogether?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:43 am
Jishin
Out of curiosity, what metaphorical tools do you use, or do you attempt to avoid them altogether?

Actually, I'm big on colors, and to a lesser extent tones. So I primarily use the visible color spectrum and on occasion musical notes.  

Tahpenes

Quotable Shapeshifter

10,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Olympian 200

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:48 am
Tahpenes
Actually, I'm big on colors, and to a lesser extent tones. So I primarily use the visible color spectrum and on occasion musical notes.

Oo, that's pretty cool. 3nodding I rarely think of using music, since I'm not musically inclined. Single tones is actually rather appealing.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff