Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is 'deconcentrated' a word? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:08 am
Quote:
Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:55 am
Sola Catella Wrote:
Ikonik Angel Wrote:
Emmanuela Wrote:
Quote:
^^ And she's an English teacher? I hope she doesn't do it often.

My Humanities teacher can't spell...

Unfortunately she does>.< Though this last tern we've only had her for three lessons, we've had a substitute for the rest, who is way better then her, so it's probably a good thing.

We're studying 'An Inspector Calls' at the moment, has anyone else had to suffer this as wel?

Good spelling is the basis for a good life:p

Ugh God...Insepctor Calls...That was annoying. As far as I remember, that's the worst of the coursework, but then there's the poetry...I'm pretty sure I almost failed my English Lit because of that damned poetry.

I love not having to do English lessons with the rest of the class...But it means I don't get taught. My teachers are printed sheets and the internet.

Wait, you don't like poetry? Poetry is wonderful! Poetry is English all dressed up in its finest clothes and looking beautiful! It's glory and beauty and everything that can't properly be expressed in prose!

Maybe you just haven't gotten any good stuff yet. Lear is fun, and Jabberwocky is wonderful at 'taking care of the sound, and the sense will take care of itself.'

Good description of Poetry, except why do we need to learn something dressed in 'finest clothes and looking beautiful' if we're just going to have to strip it of it's clothes and leave it ugly to the eye just to figure it out?

Well put, well put! And also, we study post 1914 poetry I think, which is fairly crap, as it's mostly poems like 'Dulce Et Decorum Est', which is highly depressing. And yes I know, the First World War was terrible, but I honestly don't like reading all these really depressing things, unless it's beautifully depressing, if that makes any sense. Why we can't study Keats, Eliot, Longfellow, Poe... *sigh* Whoever wrote the exam has no taste in good literature, no offence if you actually like 'Of Mice and Men' and not the poem.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:11 am
Another abslolutly awful post 1914 poem we studied last year was one written by an American soldier in Vietnam, and it was all in phonetics, quite clever I suppose, but dreadful, truly dreadful.  

Emmanuela

Sola Catella

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:40 am
Oh, bleh. Of Mice and Men bit, and I had to do it two years in a row.

We did get to do some Tennyson and In Flanders Fields (the latter is depressing but at least it sounds nice) this year, though, and my joy was crowned when we did Yeats' The Stolen Child.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:53 am
Of Mice and Men twice in a row?? Oh, I feel so sorry for you! That must have been like being tied to a medival tourture rack.. Or, that might just be me...

We did In Flanders Fields too. We were given a book of poems written in various wars, that were supposed to be post-1914, but The Charge of the Lightbrigade was there too. I quite like it actually, my friend and I made up actions to the Charge of the Lightbrigade...'Half a league, half a league, half a league onward, all in the valley of death rode the six hundred'... *pretends to be riding a horse Monty python style*  

Emmanuela

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:57 pm
Hmmm....I'm actually doing the play 'Glass Menagerie' in my Literature Class....after reading Shakespeare's plays such as Macbeth, Merchant of Venice, and Romeo and Juliet, this play was actually enjoyable for me, although the ending sucked. >_<

But I hear the author, Tennessee Williams, led a very depressing life after his husband, or boyfriend (from whatever bibliographies you read) died, and then died by choking on a bottle cap. The play is based on his early life when he lived with his mother and sister.

Has anyone read it?

As for poems. I think we have a list of about 20 poems to cover, none of them really based on a time period. Some are enjoyable, other's just simply bore you to death.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:39 pm
I've done Macbeth, which was actually quite fun, at one point I could quote half of the play, but it has all seem to have left me now>.< Romeo and Juliet annoyed me, I don't care whether is the greatest love tragedy ever written, it's cliched and why can't they just tell each other they love them instead of the whole 'Juliet is the sun'? Also, it's set over a period of four days, I mean, you meet someone, fall in love, marry them and end up both killing yourselves in four days?? It's a bad exapmle condoning blood feudes, under age sex, violence and drugs (well the film does). As you can guess, I don't like it!

In English when we were studying it, some of the guys decided to do a short play where Juliet was physically and mentally disabled, to be politically correct. My teacher said 'But Romeo wouldn't have loved her if she was retarded'. And teachers are supposed to be setting us an example!  

Emmanuela

Kohy

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:06 pm
Emmanuela
I've done Macbeth, which was actually quite fun, at one point I could quote half of the play, but it has all seem to have left me now>.< Romeo and Juliet annoyed me, I don't care whether is the greatest love tragedy ever written, it's cliched and why can't they just tell each other they love them instead of the whole 'Juliet is the sun'? Also, it's set over a period of four days, I mean, you meet someone, fall in love, marry them and end up both killing yourselves in four days?? It's a bad exapmle condoning blood feudes, under age sex, violence and drugs (well the film does). As you can guess, I don't like it!

In English when we were studying it, some of the guys decided to do a short play where Juliet was physically and mentally disabled, to be politically correct. My teacher said 'But Romeo wouldn't have loved her if she was retarded'. And teachers are supposed to be setting us an example!

That last quote about the teacher had me laughing for a few minutes....the people we call our elders....tell you one thing, just to do another thing which they told you not to do.

I enjoyed Macbeth also, and like you, memorised a bunch of lines for exams...which reminds me I'm going to have to relearn all of them for my finals next year...so I can finally be done with Secondary School.  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:03 am
<[ Richness comes from the heart heart Not from earning money. ]>

*did not bother looking up "deconcentrated" in dictionary* sweatdrop I've never heard it being used... nor have I ever seen it in any context... But you can blame that on the account of English not being my first language blaugh And probably the fact that I'm younger than most of you here 3nodding (I think).. The word that I find the hardest to remember the definition of is tryglodotic gonk My friend says I am all the time. And I have to look it up in the dictionary each time she mentions it crying

<[I... I'm hyperactive heart User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.]>

KoshiDoragon

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:11 am
Quote:
KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:03 am
<[ Richness comes from the heart icon_heart.gif Not from earning money. ]>

*did not bother looking up "deconcentrated" in dictionary* icon_sweatdrop.gif I've never heard it being used... nor have I ever seen it in any context... But you can blame that on the account of English not being my first language icon_blaugh.gif And probably the fact that I'm younger than most of you here icon_3nodding.gif (I think).. The word that I find the hardest to remember the definition of is tryglodotic icon_gonk.gif My friend says I am all the time. And I have to look it up in the dictionary each time she mentions it icon_crying.gif

<[I... I'm hyperactive icon_heart.gif ]>

English is my first language and I've never heard the word 'tyglodotic' before. When my mum used to mark exam papers from Poland, I think it was, she had to look up some of the words they used:p

Quote:
I enjoyed Macbeth also, and like you, memorised a bunch of lines for exams...which reminds me I'm going to have to relearn all of them for my finals next year...so I can finally be done with Secondary School.

Yeah, I've got to do that with Of Mice and Men for next year, when I can escape secondary school for ever *dances* It's such a shame we only do Macbeth for SATs and not GCSEs>.<  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff