Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weekly Show and/or Tell: May 15 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

firrantello

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 pm
Peppermint Elf
firrantello
this week i'm knitting intarsia for the first time really. I'm making my friend who went into the Marines recently a hat. It's navy with a thick red stripe in the middle-ish. On the red stripe I'm knitting "USMC" in white.

So far I have discovered that intarsia is not meant to be knitting and look clean on the back while knitting in the round. It looks wretchedly messy. Anyone have suggestions on how to cover it up (other than a full lining, because I'm worried that might make the hat too warm)
To be quite honest... it will look like complete crap.... until the ends are woven in. Once the ends are woven in, it's not ugly or messy at all. If the stitches are loose, you can fix them by tugging on them when the knitting is finished and then weave the ends in. Either way, the mess cleans up when it's done. 3nodding

i actually wasn't even looking at the ends, but rather than the yarn is in lines across the pattern in the back.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:56 pm
Lee Kushrenada
I don't have any friends that are going into the survice, but if I ever do I think I'ed like to do some thing like that.
or I could hake hats or whatever wit collage names and color's on them.
knitting just random things is fun...but I like to have some kind of reason behind it... like Harry Potter scarves to show my fandom.
I'm thinking of making a sort of Fruits basket sweater thing... I could put Kyo's face of the back of it or something like that.

the college hats could be fun if you actually liked the college you were going to work on the hat for rofl  

firrantello

firrantello

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:57 pm
Thurston Moore
I've finished painting the pages of the books (most pages are just one colour though a few have a vague pattern) and I'm in the process of finding quotes and verses to write. Any favourites you could help me with?

I also need to make 4 friendship bracelets/anklets for a craft swap. I may end up making 8 as some extra swappers were needed. I feel like I'm 12 again whee

what kinds of quotes are you looking for? funny ones, serious ones, ones about friends, ones about death... anything?

i always had fun with those bracelets.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:58 pm
gemini6184
Well I finished the first sleeve of my sweater tonight at work. I'm preparing to move Friday so I will most likely finish the sweater on the 6 hours drive to my new home 3nodding

*cheers* yay for progress!
good luck with your move. 6 hrs isn't THAT far in the grand scheme of life, but it IS a ways away!  

firrantello

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:37 am
ITS DONE!
well here's my first ever sweater.
I'm very happy with it... other than the fact that the sleeve's go freeky big about 5 intches after the wrist...but that's not my falt, I made it just like the pattern told me, and its really not all that bad really.
I really like how the caller came out too.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Lee_Kushrenada/DSCN3851.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Lee_Kushrenada/DSCN3850.jpg
don't ask me why it look's pinkish... its really dark red, Jiffy Wind, to be exact.  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:15 am
Lee Kushrenada
ITS DONE!
I'm very happy with it... other than the fact that the sleeve's go freeky big about 5 intches after the wrist...but that's not my falt, I made it just like the pattern told me, and its really not all that bad really.
don't ask me why it look's pinkish... its really dark red, Jiffy Wind, to be exact.
HOORAY!! *applauds*

It's a great feeling to finish your first sweater, and have it come out so nicely. When I finished mine my mother looked at me and told me it takes a lot of people several tries before they can get a sweater right. I still have issues with fitting them but you try things out and find the right type of sweaters for you. That looks like a very versatile pattern. it should serve you well.

*hops up and down* i wanna see it modeled!  

gemini6184

gemini6184

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 am
firrantello
gemini6184
Well I finished the first sleeve of my sweater tonight at work. I'm preparing to move Friday so I will most likely finish the sweater on the 6 hours drive to my new home 3nodding

*cheers* yay for progress!
good luck with your move. 6 hrs isn't THAT far in the grand scheme of life, but it IS a ways away!
yes it is, especially since im moving two states away sweatdrop parents = not happy but too bad. i miss my bf. long-distance relationships suck even if you can make em work  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:21 am
firrantello
Peppermint Elf
firrantello
this week i'm knitting intarsia for the first time really. I'm making my friend who went into the Marines recently a hat. It's navy with a thick red stripe in the middle-ish. On the red stripe I'm knitting "USMC" in white.

So far I have discovered that intarsia is not meant to be knitting and look clean on the back while knitting in the round. It looks wretchedly messy. Anyone have suggestions on how to cover it up (other than a full lining, because I'm worried that might make the hat too warm)
To be quite honest... it will look like complete crap.... until the ends are woven in. Once the ends are woven in, it's not ugly or messy at all. If the stitches are loose, you can fix them by tugging on them when the knitting is finished and then weave the ends in. Either way, the mess cleans up when it's done. 3nodding

i actually wasn't even looking at the ends, but rather than the yarn is in lines across the pattern in the back.
well its going to be against his head anyway so who cares? blaugh  

gemini6184

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:48 pm
gemini6184
Lee Kushrenada
ITS DONE!
HOORAY!! *applauds*

It's a great feeling to finish your first sweater, and have it come out so nicely. When I finished mine my mother looked at me and told me it takes a lot of people several tries before they can get a sweater right. I still have issues with fitting them but you try things out and find the right type of sweaters for you. That looks like a very versatile pattern. it should serve you well.

*hops up and down* i wanna see it modeled!

O thank you. redface
mediling eh? ok I'll have to get my mom to take some cicturs (not that her eye is not glewed to her camera 90% of the time) so it should be easy to put some up.
I'll have to learn how cord... have you ever noteced that all the men's sweaters are all 'death by cording'? o.O what is up with that!  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:02 pm
Quote:
yes it is, especially since im moving two states away sweatdrop parents = not happy but too bad. i miss my bf. long-distance relationships suck even if you can make em work

eh I'm sorry! I've never moved... and I've only been in one relationship that was short lived, so I can't say that I know what your going through, but my heart gose out to you.

firrantello: I don't know how, or even what it's called, but I do know there's a way you can knit like you are and hide all those lines that stick out. I know it has some thing to do with twisting the yarn's when you switch colors.
I hope some one know's what I'm talking about. sweatdrop  

Lee Kushrenada

firrantello

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:40 pm
Lee Kushrenada
ITS DONE!

yay!! it looks pretty good to me.
flashes wash out reds easily (hence the pinkish)  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:41 pm
gemini6184
firrantello
Peppermint Elf
firrantello

well its going to be against his head anyway so who cares? blaugh

that's kind of what i was half thinking smile  

firrantello

firrantello

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:42 pm
Lee Kushrenada
firrantello: I don't know how, or even what it's called, but I do know there's a way you can knit like you are and hide all those lines that stick out. I know it has some thing to do with twisting the yarn's when you switch colors.
I hope some one know's what I'm talking about. sweatdrop

I know what you're talking about. And that works great for small areas, but because the yarn is getting drawn across such a distance to the next section of a letter, it doesn't work as pretty as it should.
I did that for a scarf once.  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 pm
here's a link to my craft journal
the particular entry of interest is this one which is basically picture spam of the USMC hat if anyone is interested in seeing it.
warning for anyone on dialup - my wireless DSL acts slow sometimes (like now), so it occasionally makes loading hard. your dialup will probably try to eat your soul for hurting it :-p  

firrantello

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:56 pm
like I said I have never used it, so I don't know.
but the hat look's great! I love how you have so manny picturs up for all your stuff. 3nodding  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff