Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Is it possible to be Goth wihtout a love for music? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it?
  No music is too much an integral part of being gothic
  Yes its possible.
View Results

m a r l o w

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:43 pm
Of course! Before I ever started listening to gothic rock or deathrock, I always viewed gothism through art and literature. Music is only a small portion of the Goth sub-culture.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:27 pm
According to the official definition? Maybe no. But there is no accurate definition of the word "goth", therefore, of course it's possible. You can be gothic because you're interested in gothic style or literature, etc.  

ringwraith10

Teh Rainbow Socked Ninjas

Invisible Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:19 pm
You don't have to listen to music or like it to be goth. I don't even know if I'm goth, but I like this guild because... Yeah.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:01 am
I'd say it depends on your definition of goth.Some people define it as they way one dresses, in which case I am not goth. Others by the music, in which I am. Others by the behaviour, again, I am. Still others by their taste in literature and other art forms, in which case I am. I simply don't fit the dress area of the definition because my mother doesn't like it much, and I don't like upsetting her. But does that mean I'm not goth? I don't believe so.

Some people just can't relate to the music considered to be part of the gothic sub-culture, but I don't think we should condemn them and say they aren't goths. Would you say someone wasn't gothic because they don't find the works of Edgar Allan Poe to be as extravagent as many goths do? I don't think so. Not every person will met them defintion of their sub-culture or label perfectly, but that does not mean, to me at least, that they do not belong.

Others are goth, but say they aren't because they dislike labels, but they are still a part of our sub-culture, are they not?

In all, I say yes, one can dislike goth music or music in general and still be goth. Some people just cannot relate to music, and they should not be punished for that.  

wantondestruction

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:17 am
loveneverdies31395
I'd say it depends on your definition of goth.Some people define it as they way one dresses, in which case I am not goth. Others by the music, in which I am. Others by the behaviour, again, I am. Still others by their taste in literature and other art forms, in which case I am. I simply don't fit the dress area of the definition because my mother doesn't like it much, and I don't like upsetting her. But does that mean I'm not goth? I don't believe so.

Some people just can't relate to the music considered to be part of the gothic sub-culture, but I don't think we should condemn them and say they aren't goths. Would you say someone wasn't gothic because they don't find the works of Edgar Allan Poe to be as extravagent as many goths do? I don't think so. Not every person will met them defintion of their sub-culture or label perfectly, but that does not mean, to me at least, that they do not belong.

Others are goth, but say they aren't because they dislike labels, but they are still a part of our sub-culture, are they not?

In all, I say yes, one can dislike goth music or music in general and still be goth. Some people just cannot relate to music, and they should not be punished for that.

I wasn't punishing anyone, i was just bringing up an interesting topic! crying
*cowers in a corner*  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:18 am
Big_Ass_Guitar_Gun
Actally its more than possiable. You could like me, be intrestead in gothic art or literature. There were goths before rock.

That is a really good point i never even bothered to think about!
Wow, so i guessed i;ve learned that, even though music is really important, its not necessary to be gothic. hmm.  

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100

wantondestruction

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:33 am
GrimlyFiendish
loveneverdies31395

I wasn't punishing anyone, i was just bringing up an interesting topic! crying
*cowers in a corner*

I wasn't implying that you were the one punishing people. I simply know someone *cough cough, Bran, cough cough* who does. Sorry!!!  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:52 am
Emperor Lothar
Depens on who you ask but id say no. Cant be a goth without listening to goth music just like you cant be a metalhead without listening to metal.

I agree with the emperor!!!!  

Forever_the_child

hfdhgsdfgsf

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 am
yes. some goths are too depressed to care about music, and others are too busy. Music isn't everything when ur a goth. Just when ur an emo, which is a cheap version of goth who always talk about death, and cutting their wrists and stuff like that.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:00 pm
Music-less goths are known as Romanti-goths or Novi-Goths

Novi-goths signifies the more spiritial. Nov-goths usuallly write books, poety and just love to speak.

-exceprt from The goth Bible.  

Eegaras

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:04 pm
Sneekysnake
yes. some goths are too depressed to care about music, and others are too busy. Music isn't everything when ur a goth. Just when ur an emo, which is a cheap version of goth who always talk about death, and cutting their wrists and stuff like that.

-_-* Please no sterotyping the emos, otherwise it's no better than when people sterotype goths.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:29 am
lurichan
Sneekysnake

-_-* Please no sterotyping the emos, otherwise it's no better than when people sterotype goths.

Very true 3nodding
Zioa- i don't remember that being in the Goth bible 0_o  

Dramatica Addams

Fashionable Vampire

28,390 Points
  • Charged Up 100
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Caroling Champ 100

m a r l o w

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:33 am
Sneekysnake

stare  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:51 pm
If you think about it...

All "cliques" and "stereotypes"; basically everyone wouldn't be who they are without what they read, write, listen to, draw, etc.

I mean think about it a bit harder, and you'll see... it's not just about not being able to be goth.
It's about not being able to be anyone, but importantly yourself.

Obnoxia

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces