Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Have fun, don't be a webster! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tregatry.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:46 am
Alright, so I've been on the internet since I was 2. >.< Using the emoticons and stuff is habit.

And since people have asked without response...

Lurve = a slang-y way to say "love." For example - "I lurve it."

pwn, pwnd, pwnz - all variations stemming from a typo of "own." Always used in an instance when one has won a competition. "We pwned them!"
On a sidenote: W00t! - originally an acronym for "we owned the other team"

Oh, and when I type, I tend to go with what either flows well, or looks nice. Hence, I use lots of commas. And periods. And I tend to use punctuation to generate the flow of my speech. I'm not sure if they're grammatically correct. And I'm pretty sure started a sentence with "and" isn't...but that won't stop me. I actually don't know most grammatical rules, but I've got a general feel for it. And I'm pretty sure "got" is incorrect too. Again with my vernacular.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:12 am
I use smilies and such. Sometimes I go all out on the txt talk but I make sure people know I'm joking. Example:

OMG i luv u guys!!!11!!1!!1eleven!!1!! nOT rly, PWN'D!!1!!

I don't think that counts, though, since I'm making fun of it.  

ringwraith10

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:25 pm
some random rivethead...
There are times when you don't absolutly have to avoid text talk. I still like to say "PWND","lurve" and "PWNZ" in humorous instances. What other words would you guys use that aren't perfect grammar.

I sometimes use that in real life conversations and they get in me into a lot of trouble. I like to use "UBER", "N00b", "Haxxorz", "leet" and "ORLY?"  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:50 pm
Aramethea
some random rivethead...
There are times when you don't absolutly have to avoid text talk. I still like to say "PWND","lurve" and "PWNZ" in humorous instances. What other words would you guys use that aren't perfect grammar.

Could someone tell me please what PWND and PWNZ are? I don't get that at all.

Sometimes I catch myself saying "He went, 'Hey', and so I was all like, 'Yeah!'" And I do use lol and the like when I'm chatting with my sister in the IM.

'PWND' and 'PWNZ' are words that are typically used by gamers to express superiority over their foe, much like 'WOOT'(We Owned the Other Team) however, it has begun to become more widespread and commonplace.

As for the original post, I consider myself a bit on the lenient side. When talking to my friends (IRC, etc.) I can slack off some, especially when joking around. It's not really something I try to change, because misspelling things adds to the humor. However, when posting somewhere that my typing patterns will be a judge of me, I do try to type in completely proper english and keep smilies and acronyms down to the minimum.  

ZigguratII

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:14 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
I use smileys like ^^ and xD a lot, and I still misuse the ellipsis sometimes. I think that's about it.

Same here, but I've been known to write 'BRB' when I really need to move quickly.
I use things like 'cause, wanna, gonna and dunno (I type like I speak). But I never use coz or cuz, it's always 'cause.

And I've been known to use 'pwn', 'uber' and 'w00t', as well as 'yo' (try not to) and 'hey' (often).

And a friend of mine has got me into the habit of writing fear and figure with a ph in certain cases -- 'phear'; 'go phigure'. As well as lowering my defences to the 'O RLY', 'YA RLY', 'NO WAI!' thing.

And I always write okay instead of ok or OK. It's not text talk, but it's not etymologically correct. OK is. But I will always use okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:01 pm
Yes, I am guilty of occasionally using a smiley such as :

xD
o_o;

That is about it.  

Embodiment Of The Living

GabbySilverwood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:50 am
Emoticons are litterly there to try and help of express the non-verbal part of our language. They don't call it body language for no reason people.
Forgive me, but some of these things are just to much fun to say.
Ex: Dude! You Roxored my Socsors!
Whcih I will now translate. Twice.
Literaly that said, Dude! You rocked my socks!
In all truth, it translats to a very archaic, Man, that nocked my socks off!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:07 am
I use smilies all the time! It's like a drug ^^"

I would usually say 'lolerz' and have taken a liking to saying 'bzuh?' But apart from that... Not really.

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Sylph_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:16 am
I like to use Jah and ZOMG! when I'm being weird and fooling around. I use lol in awkward situations and I am addicted to smilies! biggrin heart

Occasionally I'll say "I luff it! heart !" for no apparent reason. Well, maybe it's because I just had sugar or something at the time, but...no pattern. ^^ I don't see anything wrong with smilies so long as they don't make up the whole post. *stares at post* sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23 pm
I use smileys and I say lol alot of the time. I don't say lol out in person like some of my friends do.  

Klandy

Dr.Elf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:13 am
I sometimes say stuff like: "lil', lol, brb, and afk" I alo heart the smilies! xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:40 pm
I use the smilies, but only cause I think they're cute. whee
I also say "lol" a lot, more than I should, as well as brb. redface That however is about it and I only do that on im and no where else. I think the smilies are fine if you use only a few of them and go with what you're saying. And the "lols" well, it's a bad habit like biting my nails and as long as I only do it on im I don't mind much.

While I might do that I'll never type "plz" or "u" or things like that. I don't like them at all. And I never got the point of saying kk.

Oh well to each their own. biggrin  

Hot_Cocoa42

Tah-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:56 pm
I have a tendency to use "lol," "omg," and "lurve" every once in awhile. And I love emoticons. Otherwise, my sentences stay true to my grammar addiction. ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 pm
I'm an emoticon whore. And I use 'brb' and 'lol' sometimes. It sort of pisses me off when people shorten, twist and accent every single word they say. It makes it really hard to comprehend what they're saying. gonk
Hope it affects the way they write essays or any other kind of formal writing they have to do. stare

(Sorry. I'm in a bit of a bad mood today.) sweatdrop  

[shazz]

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:03 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
I use smileys like ^^ and xD a lot, and I still misuse the ellipsis sometimes. I think that's about it.
About the same here, yup.

It depends on the medium I'm using, too. If it's AIM or IRC, I'm more lenient with using things like "brb" and "gtg" (I still refused to use "lol", though)....if it's a forum or something that's not instant, I will spell things out, in most cases.

The sole exception being sarcasm.

Grammar, I'm not so strict about (with the exception of formal debate arguments, wikipedia articles, and papers), since sometimes un-grammatical things can be effective and better represent the way I actually talk in real life.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff