Coming Out of the Broom Closet Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:24 am

My parents were the first two people I told, mainly because I no longer felt any inclination to attend church services with my mother and grandparents any more; I had been forced, kicking and screaming, to go even while I was Catholic and it was my last stand. I simply told them flat out, and while they aren't thrilled about my decision, being away at my fist year of university certainly helped; I was an adult by that point, and the decision was mine to make. I have a witchy aunt who knew before my parents, but she knew mainly just through talking with me; she was a wonderful resource and provided me with books to read to help me along.

To this day, however, most of my family does not know about my religious beliefs and I'd prefer to keep it that way. My family consists of very devote, but also very image driven, Catholics on my mother's side, and on my father's side we have the rednecks. Not the most intelligent or accepting group backing me. stare

My friends know, however. I've had no problems with admitting my faith to them and they've been fantastic. It's been met by some with the same indifference that they view all religion with, and others have been energetic to the point that they've asked me to hold rituals in their homes for the sake of participation. My faith usually came up when people walked into my room and either spotted the many books on Paganism on my shelf, or saw my altar and asked what it was.

At work, I have a few coworkers who know, and a few who simply assumed because of my tarot reading. For the mnost part, I try to keep it out of the workplace because it has no place being there, which is how I'd like to keep it.

As far as advice goes on coming out of the broom closet, I'd say don't worry about it. Unless you feel it's absolutely necessary, people don't need to know Pagan or anything else, and keeping that information to yourself doesn't mean that you're afraide or anyless proud than any other Pagan; it's simply personal information.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:09 am

Lol as far as thsi goes i wasn't asking for myself specically, just thought it ought to be shared.

As far as i go my mom found out by catching me inmid-rite redface
but neways i'mnot placed by myfamily in teh same position as they placed my transy cousin. we aren't liked but they insist we come to family events to make them feel like their accepting and good christian people rolleyes
My mom insists i go to every church function and service there is to be had and she at first burned my BOS....i didn't tlak to her for a week.

WickedDecember

Dapper Dabbler

4,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200

midara the happy banshee

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:42 am

Winter Black
midara the happy banshee
I know. It really minimizes the conflict.

On a side note, I looked at your profile. eek Two bisexual Hellenics in the same age group who vote with the Green Party and are in long-tern relationships? Holy crap. xd

Actually, that profile has not been updated since January, and that jerk broke up with me three days before valentines day... Heh.
And I'm not sure I'm a Hellenic... o.o I'm an ecclectic, who mostly goes for the Grecco-Thracian religion, but takes Gods from the Greek, Egyptian, and Norse Pantheons...
Heh. But yeah, go Green Party.

I should go update my profile.

Oh! Sorry to hear that! sweatdrop And I knew your weren't completely Hellenic, but worshiping even some of the Greek Gods is enough of a coincidence, I would think. xd
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:28 pm

both my parnets work for church my dad plays the organ and my mom makes food for the poor and then there i am hating jesus

LawrenceIII

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:54 pm

LawrenceIII
both my parnets work for church my dad plays the organ and my mom makes food for the poor and then there i am hating jesus

xd Aww, you shouldn't hate Jesus of all people. I don't think he ever said to hunt down and kill Witches or anything. o_O

I think of him as one of the earliest hippies. xD <3
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:41 pm

Well when i was around my father i wasnt ever in the broom closet he is a very accepting man and i thank the god's and goddesses for him everyday. but my mother was a hardcore christan ... or so i thought and so i was very afraid to let her know untill just recently when i realized it was very pointless to keep it in anymore if she couldnt accept me for what and who i am then thats her loss not mine. we were actualy at the bar having dinner and i started talking about this tattoo i wanted (wings with a pentical connecting them in the midle) and she asked me why a pentical and bam out poped it i just straight up told her i was a pagan she did seem a little put off but im her daughter and no matter what a true parent will always love you regardless of what you believe in. I think more people need to realize that 3nodding

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:42 pm

shirokitsune
LawrenceIII

xd Aww, you shouldn't hate Jesus of all people. I don't think he ever said to hunt down and kill Witches or anything. o_O

jesus was so a hippy!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:04 am

mouseyanna
shirokitsune
LawrenceIII

jesus was so a hippy!

how?

LawrenceIII

Siofra Da`Halbria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Long hair, sandals, flowing robes, talking about peace and love all the time... 100% hippy.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:30 pm

He was.
Jesus was a hippy, and you can't erally deny it, if you look.
I mean, he was a stereotypical hippy, of course.
My brother is a "hippy", but he has a mohawk.
And I'm a "hippy", but I have shorter hair.
But the whole "I died so that your sins could be forgiven" thing was so hippy.
Even though I don't worship him, I respect that.
I really do.
Thats quite a cause to claim to die for.

Winter Black
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:56 pm

LawrenceIII
how?

He challenged the entire establishment of both culture and religion in his time; his ideas were both radical and alien to the people, which is why he was crucified.

Plus, dude was some kind of mellow. blaugh
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Okay, posting it here since we got into this...

www.wiccabilly.com Go here, click the "video" link, and click "Party on Jesus". You'll be amused, and you'll rethink Jesus a little...I mean, it isn't his fault his teachings got hijacked by militant fundies...

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:50 pm

Actually i posted a topic about my situation earlier this year, and in it I later said that my mom found out on her own... kinda.

My old Topic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 pm

I'd never really thought of Jesus as a hippy, but it's so true! That's really amusing. . .

And 'broom closet' is really kind of a hard thing to define. My family goes to church and everything, but my mom sees auras, my aunt talks to her spirit guide, and my stepmom and aunt went to a psychic fair today to get readings done.

. . .

phantomkitsune

Dangerous Enabler

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Seira Relur
Actually i posted a topic about my situation earlier this year, and in it I later said that my mom found out on her own... kinda.

My old Topic
How has that turned out for you? Are you moved out, or did your mom come to her senses.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff