Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Numbers in writing. One, two, 15, 1 million Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you know...?
  yes
  no
View Results

Split_Personality

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:31 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I was taught to write out any number below ten and that any number over 11 can be written numerically.

Yeah.
So,
One button
Nine buttons
11 buttons
100 buttons
One mill-- wait. That breaks the chain, but we're not supposed to do the zeros and stuff.. Yeah, I guess it's because the zeros confuse people. "Is that six or nine zeros?" sweatdrop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:06 am
I was taught that it had to do with the number of didgits, and that you had to write out numbers up to three didgits. And that you could put them down numerically untill the number was longer that writing out, say one-million.
I also know that that teacher probably would have failed my paper on principle if I wrote out something like 1 million in it more than once.
And personally I agree with her on that point, putting numbers and words in the same number just looks funky.
And I had to do it her way, because she went to the same church as my grandmother. Probably still does to.  

GabbySilverwood

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:46 am
I was taugh to write out all numbers under 20. After twenty then you can write them numerically.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:12 am
Yeah, we learned about that in regular English Composition. Mr. Fuhrel, my instructor of the class, was a real stickler about it.

If memory serves me well, all you have to do is to write out any number that comes out in two syllables. I don't know about the case of the number "11" or eleven, but otherwise, the rule stands.

Then again, I do whatever suits me. This is English, after all, and not mathmatics we're dealing with.

Example:
One potato.
Two potatoes.
Five potatoes.
Ten pounds of potatoes.
Twelve makes a dozen.
Don't go over twenty-one.

I've said enough.  

Natsuri

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:37 am

Doppelgangers:

I was taught that in formal writing, it's pretty much after you start to get confused....

I think.

The Killers of People...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:47 pm
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

I was taught that any number under 11 is to be written out. I would also write out one million, as the digital form would be rather long.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:23 pm
First things first: writing isn't spelled "writting."

Anyway. I did know all that, and I think that people have already stated what I would say...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:44 pm
I was taught:

one - twenty written

21 - 999 as numbers

1 thousand + as the number followed by whatever one it is.
(1 thousand; 23thousand, 70 million, etc,)

numbers not followed by set amount of zeros in numbers 1 thousand and up should be numbers

(1231, 10765)  

Venat the Undying

Bladeglory

Shy Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 pm
Yeah, I was taught (this year too, 'tis sad stare ) that under eleven should be stated with numbers and above is to be written out. I would do what most people have also said and put it like 1 million or 109,577,623.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff