Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
n00b language can be understood... so why be a literate? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To be Literate you need to:
  spell and use grammar correctly.
  flame n00bs that irritate you.
  show off and grow a big head.
View Results

Litia_Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 am
Plus it just makes you look immature. And it can be very hard to read.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:19 pm
Litia_Echo
Plus it just makes you look immature. And it can be very hard to read.

Time may fly, tears may dry~

~It makes you look immature, yes, but what's the point of looking mature? People may respect you for being literate, but will they respect you as much as they respect the witty n00b speaking person with those sharp and funny jokes?

But our friendship will never die~

KoshiDoragon

Fatal Hilarity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:49 pm
GabbySilverwood
I would have to answer the question with a question.
Why be literate? Well, Why have Shakespearean english, or fine art, or for that matter, gormay food.
(Someone please tell me how to spell that one.)
It's all a matter of taste. If you don't mind, well then it's not a problem.
But if you do, most people who care about talking to you at all will make an effort to be more easily understood.
Unfortunatly, sometimes it does get to the point where you just can't understand people.

Gourmet.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:11 pm
On the internet, the only way that people know you is through your words. In my case, I do not like to be considered a lazy, immature n00b, which is why I strive to be literate. I don't flame or evern correct n00bs, unless they come on a board designated for literate people. And, without grammar or spelling, I could say something like "lik i to moosek llizon" and with no rules to English, it could be correct. -shudders-  

Moppeh

Klandy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:17 pm
It's important because when you have to write big papers for college or fill out job applications. You will mostly likely get a good grade or the job because you wrote properly. You wouldn't want to fill out a job application or write a paper with txt tlk.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 am
Basically, using incorrect grammar is unnecessary. (sp?) On forums, people actually have TIME to use correct grammar. So why do they use n00bspeak in the first place?  

Elanchana

x-Sadistic_Angel-x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:07 am
Being literate is a very helpful skill in life, seeing as if you want a good job, or you're doing your University exams, you need it. Using chatspeak is like walking around with a sign around your neck that says 'I am a complete Moron!', and you wouldn't do that, now would you? I find it pathetic how people my age (14-year 9) can't bring it together to use REAL words in writing-For example, 'ur gay' or 'the oc rox'-I can spot at least 3 mistakes in that second sentence.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:55 am
Child_Of_Sephiroth
Hm...That may be true, however, we were all noobs once, like I was, seemingly a billion years ago.

I am sure that all of you were noobs.

Of course all of us were noobs once, however that doesn't mean all of us used "txt tlk".  

Ayria Black

Bard of Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:41 am
Why be literate? That's a good question and I agree that the most important thing is being able to get your point across in a conversation. I'm literate because I find it too troublesome to type in txt tlk or l337, but I'm also literate because it conveys something about the person typing. One who types like a n00b displays the personality of someone who is immature, uneducated, lazy, etc. That doesn't neccesarily mean that they are, but that's how it seems to most people around them. A literate displays the image of one who is educated and mature (once again, that doesn't mean it's true). I've met several literates that need to get off their high horse and start acting their age.

When one goes into the real world, people are going to judge and stereotype (we all do it even if we don't realize it). The n00b will not be respected or achieve things easily in life, while the literate has a better chance, because he/she can communicate better.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:24 pm
This has a point about newbie-ness, just bear with me since it is slightly off-topic. I play Maple Story and various other online games. I haven't gotten far yet in Maple Story, I'm only up to level 17. One way I like to level up is to go to a harder area and try to defeat the tougher monsters by myself. Anyone who games knows you get more experience points by doing this. Well, I took on a quest that was a bit too hard for me, and I was struggling, but doing fairly well. All of a sudden some dink comes along whose at level 43 and starts totally decimating all my enemies. Not only that, he kept ragging me to "take my n00b a**" to an easier area. Then, just to be a jerk, he got a bunch of his buddies to come to the same area and they drove me out. There were so many of them I had nothing to fight. After I left, I waited for a few minutes and went back only to find that they had all left too. They were just being nasty.

The point to this story should be fairly obvious. Being a n00b is hard enough without having people rag you. However, being a "seasoned veteran" doesn't always mean that you're going to be nice. We were all n00bs once, at everything we do. Not just at gaming or Gaia, but everything. Until I had this experience, I had been known to bust on the newbies occasionally, when I couldn't understand them. Never again - not for grammar, not for anything. I agree with all of you about the importance of good grammar and what it can get you in life. I want to finish my novel and get it published soon. One needs good grammar for that, right? However, I have retracted my "Nazi" stance for a more comfortable posture - one of calm, indifferent amusement. But you won't catch me busting newbies for their grammar anymore. Life is too short. I just want to have fun with all of you and be happy in the knowledge that I don't knowingly hurt anyone's feelings.  

Aramethea

Kupo Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:44 pm
Even if 'n00b-talk' is understandable, that doesn't make it easy.

I find myself struggling through some people’s posts. No capitals, no punctuation, no nouns. How can you write sentences with no nouns? Not even pronouns.

Now I'm not saying that I shun n00bs, or yell at them, or punish them for the way that they are. I understand that not everyone takes as much pride in their literacy as other people, but why do we have to suffer because of that?

I do, on occasion, make some horrible mistakes in my typing and writing... But for me it's either the fact that I get to excited, or the fact that I'm dyslexic. That provide somewhat of a difficulty.

I think the world needs literates. If we don't have them, the world is going to fall into an illiterate frenzy or stupidity and 'n00b-talk'.

I may have been a 'n00b' once, but I wasn't really a 'n00b'. I had spelling issues, and I tended to leave out my capitalization, but I never once typed in l33t or txt tlk... Other than 'lol, rofl, and brb'. I grew out of that quickly though.

We are examples to the n00bs. They notice that we sound more intelligent just because we type out our words in real English.

It's also a common misconception that you have to be boring to be literate. I've heard that said many times.

Really, I have a lot of fun. I have a guild based completely around insanity, but that doesn't mean we have to sound stupid, now does it?

I believe only about two paragraphs of that were on topic...

Oh well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:00 pm
Because sometimes n00bs go out of their way to make their speech unreadable. Using good grammar and spelling help others, especially those who have difficulty with English. I'll admit I write in n00b occasionally, but only in Instant Messenger, and not much in forums, especially on Gaia... sweatdrop  

]Impetigo[

Fleacy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:29 am
GabbySilverwood
I would have to answer the question with a question.
Why be literate? Well, Why have Shakespearean english, or fine art, or for that matter, gormay food.
(Someone please tell me how to spell that one.)
It's all a matter of taste. If you don't mind, well then it's not a problem.
But if you do, most people who care about talking to you at all will make an effort to be more easily understood.
Unfortunatly, sometimes it does get to the point where you just can't understand people.

It's spelled gormet. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:09 pm
I think being completely literate is good. Why cut things short when it really takes no trouble to type everything out?  

Hot_Cocoa42

wonkyspoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:31 pm
Who says that n00bs can be understood? I can't understand a damn word they say.

But with that aside, literacy is important to me. Therefore it's important. If it's not important to you, then it's not important. (Ha, and good luck trying to find a job in the real world.)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff