Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:19 pm

It's true gonk

Satan->shaitan->accuser/opposer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:34 am

Nihilistic Seraph
It's true gonk

Satan->shaitan->accuser/opposer
i didn't say it wasn't true but in this day and age, a statement like that will get you some unwanted results, just look at the Da Vinchi Code xd

MOD66

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:53 am

I went through a Christian-hating femnazi phase when I was 13-17 years of age.

I don't hate Christianity .. I mean I don't agree with most of it's teachings, but I don't waste my energy on hating them anymore. I actually like some aspects of the Catholic Church; me and mum are planning to go to a Latin mass some time. xD She used to be a nun and she really loved that. And I'd love to see what it's like.

I'm still a femnazi though. xD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:56 am

I don't hate Christian either. My whole family is Christian, and the guy I've been going out with is a Christian. It's kind of hard to not be exposed to them down in Texas. My family (except for my dad, the jerk) is accepting of my faith. They don't bring it up a whole lot. To each their own, you know? I don't make fun of my grandparents for owning a 7th Day Adventist church, I don't make fun of my sister for reading her Bible. I let them do what ever the hell they want with their faith.

My sort-of-but-not-really boyfriend Alex is okay with it too. He says that my faith doesn't change anything about me or how he feels about me, and that it's just part of who I am. His family is very iffy on me though. His brother doesn't even call me by my name, he just calls me Pagan (he says it like pag-gan though) as an insult. Alex tells me "Dude, just punch him. Hit him right in the face and shut him up." But I don't want to give his super-Christian family any more reasons to hate me. I really do want to knock his brother's light out though.

Siofra Da`Halbria

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:21 pm

I do understand how it can bother you. I usually don't let it myself, but there are those occasional people who you just want to smack 'em upside the head for.
A prime example would be one time when I was riding the bus and this guy (Josh) was talking to this other guy (Tyler) about himself being an athiest. Well Tyler would continuingly tell him that he was going to burn in hell for it. So Josh turns to me and asks me if I was christian, and I replied no and added that my family was. When I mentioned that I was pagan Tyler started flipping out and started yelling accusations at me. When I quietly said that his accusations were false, Josh asked me to enlighten Tyler. I spoke my beliefs and summed up what paganism was about, and he commented that it was "Lucifers Fairytales that guide people in his path". I then said, "Well then, lets just agree that you have your beliefs and I have mine", and what made me want to smack him was his remark... "It's not my beliefs, it's whats right. And anyone who doesn't belive the way the (some kind of christian faith... I think it was presbeterian [sp?]) are damned to burn in the fiery brimstones of Hell." stressed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:10 pm

Seira Relur
I do understand how it can bother you. I usually don't let it myself, but there are those occasional people who you just want to smack 'em upside the head for.
A prime example would be one time when I was riding the bus and this guy (Josh) was talking to this other guy (Tyler) about himself being an athiest. Well Tyler would continuingly tell him that he was going to burn in hell for it. So Josh turns to me and asks me if I was christian, and I replied no and added that my family was. When I mentioned that I was pagan Tyler started flipping out and started yelling accusations at me. When I quietly said that his accusations were false, Josh asked me to enlighten Tyler. I spoke my beliefs and summed up what paganism was about, and he commented that it was "Lucifers Fairytales that guide people in his path". I then said, "Well then, lets just agree that you have your beliefs and I have mine", and what made me want to smack him was his remark... "It's not my beliefs, it's whats right. And anyone who doesn't belive the way the (some kind of christian faith... I think it was presbeterian [sp?]) are damned to burn in the fiery brimstones of Hell." stressed
dear gods i would have punched him right there evil

MOD66

[GWW Guild Mule]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:42 am

Huh?
I would have said something along the lines of: "You can't go to a place you don't believe in. And you can't worship someone you don't believe in." And left it at that.

I don't hat all christians, just mostly the youth group leaders. (Mine is also the Top Dawg of the church, so If I have a complaint about him, it goes to him.) Well, my Church officials. They say alot of things against pagans, and people of other religions.

Oh, did you expect something smarter? xD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:58 pm

Personally, I find that waiting a while to cool down and then sending my argument in the form of a letter allows me to consider carefully what I want to say. Before sending if off, I proofread it to make sure that it a.) has no spelling or grammar errors which would make me appear ignorant, b.) is phrased in a way which is more likely to solicit understanding than provoke defensive knee-jerk reactions, and c.) actually says what I thought I was saying when I wrote it.^_~ I have a hard time coming up with arguments on the spot- especially when confronted with sheer hostility, insistent ignorance, or malicious hatred. These things tend to be bewildering and overwhelming for me, and I only think of what I should have said some time later. So where possible, I try to use my skills at writing to convey what does not occur to me to say on the spot.

There are times where, to get the best benefit and the most education to the people involved, it really is best to stand up and speak on the spot. However, if you are not in a situation where you can reveal your personal beliefs, then writing a letter will allow you to practice your skills and arrange your information so that when you can stand up and speak, you'll know what you want to say beforehand. I find that writing also has the unique benefit of allowing you to put forward your completed thoughts on a subject before anyone can sidetrack you with questions or comments.^_~ In addition, you have the option of anonymity- although letters carry more weight when they carry a name and a face attached to them, they are still a powerful option if you can not reveal yourself. You might consider sending a letter or email to the youth group leader, and if possible, maybe even putting up an address to the youth group members on a bulletin board. I suggest keeping your tone calm and peaceful, and work toward understanding and cooperation rather than accusations on either side. If you haven't seen it already, you might find this to be a helpful read.

You say that you're afraid to come forward as a Pagan because you think your friends might hate you as a goat-sacrificing Pagan. I say, establish your good reputation among your friends and community first, then come out as a Pagan as a powerful and yet subtle, peaceful way of challenging public assumptions about Pagans as bad, evil people. I did this when I was Wiccan, working in charitable organizations and wearing my pentacle openly while building houses for the poor through Habitat for Humanity, and donating food to the hungry through our local food bank. I said nothing while doing these things, unless someone asked me about the pentacle (and even then my answers were polite and brief with the focus being on our mutual cooperation on the good work at hand), and my actions spoke for me- this is a very effective method of activism as it doesn't present anyone with an opportunity to disagree with you. They can't very well deny the fact that you're there and doing what you're doing.^_~ If you can not reveal yourself now, then work on your character and contribute to your community. You'll build yourself up for the day when you can pull that religious symbol out of your pocket and wear it for all to see.

WebenBanu

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:45 pm

midara the happy banshee
Yeah, and many pagans today do still do animal sacrifice. I know several. In many paths, it's explicitly called for. In Hellenism, it's very clear that the Gods desire certain offerings, and many Hellenists feel the need to honor this by animal sacrifice.

I've a friend in a Hellenic group which was recently in an uproar about that very topic- seems some of them wanted to hold a public festival on a farm, and a part of the celebration would be the offering of a sacrifice and the sharing of the meat amongst the celebrants. Really, animal sacrifice in Pagan religions is not the big dramatic moment which Hollywood would have us believe- it mostly consists of offering the animal to a deity, killing it, and then distributing the meat among the celebrants- human and divine. The only difference between animal sacrifice and regular butchering practices is that the animal is blessed beforehand. So long as the animal is humanely raised and the method of killing is likewise humanely efficient, and so long as the body is put to good use afterward (meat eaten, possibly hides tanned and/or bones carved), I see no problem with the inclusion of animal sacrifice although I don't perform it myself for practical reasons. Usually, the argument of whether or not to revive animal sacrifice boils down to whether or not people feel it is right to eat meat- vegetarians will generally oppose it, those who eat meat will often agree that there's not much going on which isn't already happening once the process has been explained- and in fact, if we do the sacrifice ourselves we can ensure the humanity of the death and aftercare so it frequently turns out to be a better alternative. Awful things happen in conventional meat processing plants, at least here we can be sure that the animal is dead before we start to process it.

When you think about it, kosher meat is basically the result of ritual, sacred slaughter as well. One of these days I'd like to get a detailed report on what exactly goes into the production of kosher meat- I might favor it as my own choice of offering since I can't oversee slaughter myself. For now, I purchase only meat which is certified humanely raised and processed- that's what I eat at my meals, and that's what I offer to the gods.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:07 pm

Not every Christian is a raping, plundering, reckless, plague-spreading Conquistador, either. You can tell your youth leader that. The only brand of pagan that sacrifices goats that I know of are Vaudaun and Santerian practitioners, and they hardly do it out of malice or disrespect. The animal is treated very well and the sacrifice is a kindly one. Some rituals actually call for the animal to be eaten in a feast for the whole congregation after it has been sacrificed.

You could try to have a theoretical conversation with him, saying you have a friend who is Wiccan and doesn't do that kind of thing. (It's not really lying. You're among friends here.)

Lila Malvae

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:55 am

Kansas Kandi
I still go to youth group, and all you know, I have frioends who go, so I hang out with them there.
The leader was telling a story about people killing goats, and stuff and EXACT quote:
"They killed goats and stuff, kinda like Hethrens, Pagans, you know, the likes."
I almost left then, but I haven't came out yet. so they don't know.
He also made some rude marks about Homosexuals(I believe it was an accident.).
Discuss(I want a discussiong):
What you think of what my youth group leader said.
Christians hating pagans
Pagans hating Christians
Whatever else you think of.

Um... You do realize that many Pagan religions did and still do practice animal sacrifice right?

African tribes still do, some Heathens still do, some South American tribes still do, ect.

There was nothing ignorant or offensive about his comment regarding sacrifice.

Rude remarks regarding homosexuals has nothing to do with Pagans, but he should be asked to watch himself on that.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:07 am

I actually do find it offensive.

Lila Malvae

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:08 am

LilaMalvae

How so?
Because its true?
Or because it was said by a Christian?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:00 am

Shimegamis_Rage
LilaMalvae

How so?
Because its true?

Because it was said by a Christian, and actually most Pagans don't sacrifice animals anymore. There is a large percentage, but it is by no means a "most". I don't scorn it, and I don't do it. I believe that personal sacrifice is a bit more meaningful. And I'm an animal lover.

There was actually a whole issue devoted to it on PanGaia.

Edit: I think you're missing the point that the guy said it out of ignorance, his information based on Malleus Maleficarum-like and hollywood hype. He meant the comment to be scornful and degrading to us. I doubt any of his statements made about it were based on any kind of modern, logical fact. I don't mean to say that he was an idiot, just that he doesn't know and didn't do his research and said something he trusted that his prior pastors and church elders to know about.

Lila Malvae

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:10 pm

LilaMalvae
Shimegamis_Rage
LilaMalvae

How so?
Because its true?

Because it was said by a Christian, and actually most Pagans don't sacrifice animals anymore. There is a large percentage, but it is by no means a "most". I don't scorn it, and I don't do it. I believe that personal sacrifice is a bit more meaningful. And I'm an animal lover.

Your kidding right? Please tell me your really not so shallow as to get offended when a Christian states something thats true.

And actually, most "Pagans" do and in the case of dead Pagan religions, did. Most Neo-pagans, dont. I'm well acquainted with a good many that do. Hell, The Inca, Aztecs and Mayans used to sacrifice not only humans but babies. African tribes still practice Sacrifice. Some South American tribes still do. Its done, and there is jack reason to be offended by a Christian mentioning it.

Quote:

There was actually a whole issue devoted to it on PanGaia.

Edit: I think you're missing the point that the guy said it out of ignorance, his information based on Malleus Maleficarum-like and hollywood hype. He meant the comment to be scornful and degrading to us. I doubt any of his statements made about it were based on any kind of modern, logical fact. I don't mean to say that he was an idiot, just that he doesn't know and didn't do his research and said something he trusted that his prior pastors and church elders to know about.

Out of ignorance? So what, Pagans say crap about Christianity out of ignorance everyday, but they dont whine and b***h about it as much.
He may not have been fully informed, but what he said had truth to it.
Ignorance denotes refusal to learn, not being un-informed on the matter.
And how in nine hells would you know if he meant it to be scornful or degradeing? ESPECIALLY since he apparently said it while discussing animal sacrifice in the old testament.

Most of the kids in this forum havent done their research on the religion they CLAIM to follow, let alone the ones they dont. So until I see you getting offended by them too, your reasoning is bogus.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff