Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
What makes you an emo? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EMO
  i am an expert let me broaden your mind!
  Umm....
  What is an "emo"?
  Who came up with the stupid name for emo?
  The voices oh the voices
  Damn kristin really is the poll whore queen~!
View Results

Solomon 469

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:01 am
The Vampire Persephone
Twack
i like the song "Stabby rip stab stab"

sorry i had to

rofl And you couldnt get your hair to do that flippy thing either, like that guy from that band can do?

Come now, we've all heard that song.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:18 am
Emo is a style of music, not a religion as some are making it out to be.  

Merry Platypus

Yamin0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:26 am
Emo is just another sterotype people like to give "punkers" and what not. It is a style of music supposidly. Then again emotion is in all music so why even bother making is a genre?

Personally...I hate all sterotypes...and sadly as humans we have to use them to describe people and things...
::sighs::  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:08 pm
ok, i have to say, first +~Luna.Le.Fay~+ i dig your billy pic mrgreen

ninja

moving on

I think emo is a stupid word, mostly i use it with close friends as a joke, but all in all i think people are going to be one of two things
a) themselves
or
b) part of a trend

personally, I choose a. And most people will claim to when really, they try like hell to be like someone else.

I listen to the music I like, if I don't partiularly like a band I'm NOT going to put hem down, I know I dont' have the courage to get up and preform in from of that many people, do you?
I don't think so.
But, I listen to what I like, I wear what I like, I have no one to impress, if you don't like me, i'd rather you not like me for who I am.
kthx  

RobynCorynne

Alex_The_Strange

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm
People around me say that people that are emo are cutters with weird hair and black clothes. i have to disagree with them about the cutting. I have never met an emo person that has cut him/ her self, but they do have the clothes and the hair and they listen to the music. I just think that the clothes are kind of punk mixed with "goth". Not looking for anyone to agree with me, but that's my opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:27 pm
True emo is a style of music that sadly and unfortunately died with The Cure and Depeche Mode. (I still luffle them.)

"Modern" emo is a group of |individuals|, if that's what you would prefer to call them, who listen to angsty screamo music and have no real problems, but make a big deal out of their tiny ones anyway.

Usually public/pity cutters.

Cutting is not strictly an emo thing. People who have a real problem with it, i.e. half the people I associate with X_X, have reasons to go along with their issues. Emokids just do it for attention.

Then, there are emo-boys. Fun to watch make out with each other, not really good for much else. They scream well. Does that count?  

Fang_Stryfe

MOD66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:29 pm
Lita1692
The Vampire Persephone
Twack
i like the song "Stabby rip stab stab"

sorry i had to

rofl And you couldnt get your hair to do that flippy thing either, like that guy from that band can do?
I think that the Emo Song has brought all of the stereotypes to everyone's attention, which has caused everyone to think that way about "Emo." Like others have mentioned above, Emo is a type of music and a fashion, but not really a lifestyle in its own respects. Almost all of the traits mentioned above are associated with "Emo", but are not necessarily related to the music.
yes i know but it is still a funny song not verry true and i dont judge people that call them selfs emo by that song but it still was verry funny  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:56 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with being a little over emotional sometimes, and writing depressing poetry now and then. We are all humans, we are going to have times in our life when we are really down. It doesn't make you emo.

To me an emo is someone who tries to be emo. Someone who purposefully acts and dresses like the typical emo kid to either fit in or to get attention.  

Alice_K8

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:07 am
north_of_nita
GilAskan
I've been searching for information about emo for quite some time, and here's the sum of my studies:

You can't be emo.

To tell the truth one cant be goth ither. To be goth or gothic you would have to have been born hundreds of years ago.

Well, you see, there's a difference with that.

"Goth" has an alternate meaning, referring to a creator of or avid fan of goth-rock. The "goth" culture originally (and to some extent, still does) rotate around music (goth-rock).

In this sense, you can be a goth because the word has a new denotation to it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:54 am
emo is the root of all evils in this world
- the music sucks
- the sytle sucks
- the attitude oh the "tude" it blows huge donkey nutts!

wahmbulance warning rant wahmbulance

sure it's fine to be emotional from time to time but if you're still whining and bitching about someone breaking up with you or your parents when you're ******** 30 or so years old you honestly need to be shot!
(in reference to the bands)
as for the kids who listen and follow hat crap they too need help possibly with a gun to the head because sure you can relate then because you're all grr *angst* *cry* it's life live with it just as the rest of us have to!
you're whining and complaining to no one because nobody cares what you have to whine about every ******** day.  

xX x0mbie Xx

bakasensei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:20 pm
NOT EMO  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:37 pm
I'm emo...and I do cut my wrist once evry week....I don't know why tho.........maby cause I'm depressed and suisidle*I can't spell well*  

Edwardfmaf

Kosova4Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:28 pm
Ugh, "Emo" is probably the most misunderstood "label" & genre of music there is. Even more so than Goth... much more so.

First of all, Emo is DEAD. Because is refers to a genre of music that is no longer being created. Sure, there's some bands making post-emo indie rock around... emphisis on the "post-emo".

Emo is a genre of music that essentially evolved out of the Washington DC hardcore/punk music scene in the 80s. Some examples of *real* Emo bands are Rites of Spring heart heart , Dag Nasty, Jawbreaker, Moss Icon, Sleepytime Trio, The Hated, Indian Summer, Lincoln, Still Life, Evergreen, etc.

That's what Emo is -- a genre of music. Post-emo = Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, Jets to Brazil, Braid, Boys Life, Get-Up Kids, etc. [<< examples of post-emo bands].

There is no such thing as an "Emo kid". Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, & bands like that do not play Emo music... nor do they play post-emo music, post-hardcore music, or anything of that sort.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:33 pm
Fang_Stryfe
True emo is a style of music that sadly and unfortunately died with The Cure and Depeche Mode. (I still luffle them.)

"Modern" emo is a group of |individuals|, if that's what you would prefer to call them, who listen to angsty screamo music and have no real problems, but make a big deal out of their tiny ones anyway.

Usually public/pity cutters.

Cutting is not strictly an emo thing. People who have a real problem with it, i.e. half the people I associate with X_X, have reasons to go along with their issues. Emokids just do it for attention.

Then, there are emo-boys. Fun to watch make out with each other, not really good for much else. They scream well. Does that count?

Nah, The Cure & Depeche Mode had nothing to do with Emo music. The Cure is actually largely considered to be a Goth band... since, well, a fair amount of their music is Goth. Depeche Mode = New Wave or Synth-pop; quiteeee far from anything Emo.  

Kosova4Life

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces