Poll Guild of DOOM liek totally doomy and stuff 

Tags: Poll, DOOM, Elephant, Guild, Silly 

Reply Literate Hell
Atheism vs Christianity Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If you don't feel offended, what are you?
  Atheist
  Christian
  Hindu
  Buddhist
  Other....
View Results

Used_Bookstore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:08 am
[Onigiri]

Some of my friends have been told and I've also heard other people of different religions saying not to go to see the Da Vinci Code, because of how it twists religious beliefs in the story. The Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction and if you treat it as that then that's all it'll ever be. There's no letting it sway your beliefs if you don't let it sway them. If you or anyone thinks you'll be swayed to believe the movie and leave your previous beliefs, then you obviously don't have much faith in what you already believe in.

That's what some of my friends said. Their youth pastors didn't want them to go and see. It's funny my youth pastor wanted us to go and see it. He even suggested we go as a youth group. I agree whole heartedly with you on that. The Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction. It says so on the book cover. There are always going to be things that try to make you doubt your faith but if you truly believe then you shouldn't let a silly movie convince you of something different. When it comes to my salvation I would rather put my faith in the Bible instead of a movie meant to stir up controversy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:50 pm
As for religion, I am a Buddhist, and believe in reincarnation. Though my beliefs don't just stop at Buddhism... I prefer to know as much as I can about all religion, but at my current state, I don't know very much at all except for my own and a few other major Religions in my state.

I do believe Jesus Christ existed, and will show up again through reincarnation as I believe everyone will end up.

I cannot really provide much of an opinion on the Da Vinci code because I have not read the book or seen the movie. But I do know that Dan Brown loves codes and cyphers, if I recall be may have written a book on just that. But I could be mistaken.
I do plan on reading the Da Vinci Code at some point....  

Lorane

Ryokuchan

8,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:02 pm
As of right now, I'm athiest. My mom has always promoted Christanity in my life, but never really lived the lifestyle of a Christian. I also have friends that are Wiccans, cathlics, and athiest so im influenced all around. I do believe that there is a superior being because this universe would not exist if there was not one but i also believe in evolution. Also at looking a other religions and what they believe and when they say if you beileve in any other religion other than this one you will go to hell...will that mean that everyone will eventually reach hell one way or another? Well i guess that is it. confused  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:27 pm
The Da Vinci Code, to me, was not a good movie. I just don't really believe some of the stuff it has to say. I haven't read the book. I'm one of those people who wait for the movie to come out and such. But the author said it was fiction, therefor the movie is fiction as well. I am Christian but have a large selection of friends who aren't or are. So I really can't say I'm strong in faith. I know He's there but it seems I'm not with him, so.  

Heart+Stitches

[Onigiri]

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Zakaru101978
The Da Vinci Code, to me, was not a good movie. I just don't really believe some of the stuff it has to say. I haven't read the book. I'm one of those people who wait for the movie to come out and such. But the author said it was fiction, therefor the movie is fiction as well. I am Christian but have a large selection of friends who aren't or are. So I really can't say I'm strong in faith. I know He's there but it seems I'm not with him, so.

The movie was kind of boring actually. Like, a lot of the issues they were talking about were very interesting, but overall it was boring. I think a bit more action would have added to it. Plus, it went on a very steady plotline. They didn't really have much trouble solving each problem, code or cipher that came along. They always seemed to figure it out too quickly or the clues to figuring it out came up too quickly and easily.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:56 am
I'm an agnostic. I don't really believe in any religion, but I don't actually disbelieve any of them either. xp Except UFO cults, Scientology and various other weird cults/sects. Those are stuff I definitely don't believe in.

Faith Kathryn Winters

Familiar Hunter

iLLFLiP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:57 am
Saka_Kazima
It's just a work of fiction by a very talented writer.

That "very talented writer" was sued for copying someone and breaking their copyright.

EDIT: The book is not much better than the movie.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:34 am
Well, I must say at this point that I am a very proud Atheist, and that Jesus may have existed, but he was nothing more than a prophet who suffered a sad death to the Romans. 3nodding While there IS the chance that he may come back, it will most likely be in spirit form and not physical form.

I'm one of those odd Atheists who believes in demons and ghosts and things, but just not God. xp

*those of you who are Catholic/Christian/Religious, now is the time to stop reading my post* I'm sorry, but there IS no God. I have yet to find proof of any existance of an omnicient/superior being watching over our heads, whether it be in the spiritual realm or the physical realm. Believe me, I have gone to church and attended church functions, but I still do not have any proof that there actually is a God. Christians can be nice people, and I have a lot of Christian friends. However, until I find proof of a "superior being", I'm not going to change my religion to suit the needs/wants of any arrogant Christans that want to convert me. Even so, I'm not too fond of the idea of a superior being...unless they're aliens. ninja  

Taka Seiyaryu

Used_Bookstore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:20 pm
Just for the record Jesus was real and did walk on this earth. Whether you believe He was a prophet or was the son of God is up to you but there are countless number of records outside of the Bible that say He was real. And just out of curiosity how are you sure there is no God. What kind of proof are you looking for? I'm asking in all seriousness. I'm not asking to get a rile out of you or start an argument; I genially want to know why. And it sounds like to me that you are basing Christianity off of church and church functions. And if you are going to look at the Christian faith don't base it off of church. Base it off of God's word and from your experience with God. There are a lot of hypocrites in the church, and when I say church I mean the entire Christian church not just the Catholic church. sweatdrop I believe personally it's one of the worst things about being a Christian. While I believe church is important to the Christian walk, since it gives you a place to gather information and support from other Christians there is a lot of hypocrisy and it's one of the biggest reasons why most unbelievers don't become a Christian. I hope you are not basing your view of Christianity just because of that. Also it seems that you have dealt with people who were pushy or arrogant as you said. I'm sorry you were treated this way and I personally don't fell its right to push your religion on to someone else. Talking about it is fine but pushing it on to someone is not the right way to go about it. But honestly from what I've gathered from your post; granted I might be wrong since I don't know you, but it sounds like you are the arrogant one. You say there is no God yet you offered no proof to say He isn't real and you seemed to have based your views of Christianity off of a select group of people. Like I said before I'm not saying this to stir up trouble but I'm just expressing my opinion and this is just my response to Taka's post ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 pm
My take on it is as follows: God loves people, humanity as a whole, Christianity agrees with this. I find it hard to beleive that a loving and omnipotent being would damn good, honest, caring, sympathetic, and generous people to Hell just because they do not feel Jesus to be the Son of God. Whether he is or not, whether or not he comes back is not the question to me but whether or not God would limit humanity with only one road to salvation. The General teachings of Islam are the same as Christianity, and Muslims even accept Jesus as a prophet but not the son. So are all Muslims to suffer damnation even if they live their lives as good people?
Another thing to keep in mind is that Heaven is supposed to be a paradise. If you love someone who is not a Christian, and you try your very best to convert them but cannot then how can your afterlife be considered a paradise if you must eternally coop with the fact that your loved one is in a lake of flames? I suppose my point is, how can Heaven exist if Hell exists.
Overall I beleive in Christianity but most Christians take it too litteraly. Following Jesus's teachings (yes that is grammatically correct) will get you into Heaven while praising his name alone will not.  

Noirevert

Taka Seiyaryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:38 am
Used_Bookstore
Just for the record Jesus was real and did walk on this earth. Whether you believe He was a prophet or was the son of God is up to you but there are countless number of records outside of the Bible that say He was real. And just out of curiosity how are you sure there is no God. What kind of proof are you looking for? I'm asking in all seriousness. I'm not asking to get a rile out of you or start an argument; I genially want to know why. And it sounds like to me that you are basing Christianity off of church and church functions. And if you are going to look at the Christian faith don't base it off of church. Base it off of God's word and from your experience with God. There are a lot of hypocrites in the church, and when I say church I mean the entire Christian church not just the Catholic church. sweatdrop I believe personally it's one of the worst things about being a Christian. While I believe church is important to the Christian walk, since it gives you a place to gather information and support from other Christians there is a lot of hypocrisy and it's one of the biggest reasons why most unbelievers don't become a Christian. I hope you are not basing your view of Christianity just because of that. Also it seems that you have dealt with people who were pushy or arrogant as you said. I'm sorry you were treated this way and I personally don't fell its right to push your religion on to someone else. Talking about it is fine but pushing it on to someone is not the right way to go about it. But honestly from what I've gathered from your post; granted I might be wrong since I don't know you, but it sounds like you are the arrogant one. You say there is no God yet you offered no proof to say He isn't real and you seemed to have based your views of Christianity off of a select group of people. Like I said before I'm not saying this to stir up trouble but I'm just expressing my opinion and this is just my response to Taka's post ^_^

I say there is no God because there has been no proof of such a being shown to me. When I was little I too used to pray to this possibly-nonexistant being. Ever since I even started bad things kept happening to me. My mother would abuse me, my grades would suck, and it seemed like no matter what I did I always got yelled at. Even when I stopped praying, the abuse would continue and more abuse was added to it. I almost lost my best friend because of my mother's abuse. I had to take matters into my own hands because this so-called "God" apparently didn't want anything to do with me. burning_eyes And since I declared myself an Atheist, all of these things have stopped. Since then I have been leading a good life with my father. I'm in love with a guy I can trust, and Mother has basically dropped right out of the picture.

Now, whether this proves the existance of God or proves the NON-existance of God, I have yet to decide for myself. In answer to your question "What sort of proof are you looking for", I search for physical evidence, if possible. If this "God" thing is real, he should be able to come before me face-to-face and prove his existance to me. If he can't or won't, then I have every right to believe that he does not exist.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm
I'm a Christian and proud of it. I believe everything the bible says because it's not only a book but a holy document. Jesus told these people what to write. I know there are some Christians who are kinda crazy and like to shove their beliefs down other people's throats. I too would be annoyed if someone came knocking at my door at 5:00am nagging me to devote my life to God or else I'll burn in Hell. But some people just don't understand, probebly because they don't know God. Christianity isn't just a religion, it's a lifestyle. It's about having a relationship with God. There are some Christians who don't pray, and don't study the bible or talk to others about God and therefore don't really know God so they don't act like Christians. I do believe that God will come back. I mean think about it. Isn't the world sort of ending already? I mean first 9/11 then the tsunami, then hurricanes. Disaster after disaster. I don't wanna scare people or try to shove my beliefs down other's throats. I think that many atheists want to live a full life. Thats what many atheists I know have told be anyway. They want to live for themself and miss out on the true meaning of life. It may not be as fun because religion is a serious thing, but dedication is important and Christians still have fun and live their lives. I have a passion for God and I can even feel him near me sometimes. It's a wonderful feeling and I think that if everyone could just listen to God's word and spend sometimes worshiping and getting the right kind of teaching, they would get that feeling too and love it.  

Angel of Music

Angel of Music

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:01 pm
Taka Seiyaryu
Used_Bookstore

I say there is no God because there has been no proof of such a being shown to me. When I was little I too used to pray to this possibly-nonexistant being. Ever since I even started bad things kept happening to me. My mother would abuse me, my grades would suck, and it seemed like no matter what I did I always got yelled at. Even when I stopped praying, the abuse would continue and more abuse was added to it. I almost lost my best friend because of my mother's abuse. I had to take matters into my own hands because this so-called "God" apparently didn't want anything to do with me. burning_eyes And since I declared myself an Atheist, all of these things have stopped. Since then I have been leading a good life with my father. I'm in love with a guy I can trust, and Mother has basically dropped right out of the picture.

Now, whether this proves the existance of God or proves the NON-existance of God, I have yet to decide for myself. In answer to your question "What sort of proof are you looking for", I search for physical evidence, if possible. If this "God" thing is real, he should be able to come before me face-to-face and prove his existance to me. If he can't or won't, then I have every right to believe that he does not exist.

Okay first of all God is a spirt now and he won't be back until the end of the world but he is here now for he is all around us.

I'm really sorry for what happened to you. Thats awful. But you can't blame God. God wasen't the one who abused you. Sometimes when you pray for something the answer doesn't come right away but if you keep having faith God will answer your prayers. Hes answered a lot of mine. I lost a best friend because I was to "good" for her taste. Guess what happened to her? She steals now and shes into some bad stuff.

All I can say is God died for you. There is the bible to prove it. And if your not greatful for that than thats to bad. If your gonna hold a grudge on God for something bad that happened in the past that wasen't even God's fault than thats to bad. I understand it must be harder for you to believe now but talk to your Christian friends, listen to them, open your mind. I'm not gonna try to force my opinion on you but I just feel it's to bad that after what happened to you, you can't be greatful that eventually you did get through it and have been blessed with a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:06 pm
Heaven will be perfect, I don't know how it will be perfect because I have never been there but it will be without pain or suffering.

God doesn't ship people off to Hell for no reason. There are people that hear the word and refuse it, therefore they refuse God. God is here holding out his hands offering everyone the gift of eternal life (Heaven) and if someone doesn't take it, its there own choice.

As for babies and people who never heard the word. If a baby or a person dies and never hears about God, God then looks at weather or not, had they lived would've been believers.

Angel of Music

Taka Seiyaryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:50 pm
Angel of Music
Taka Seiyaryu
Used_Bookstore

Okay first of all God is a spirt now and he won't be back until the end of the world but he is here now for he is all around us.

I'm really sorry for what happened to you. Thats awful. But you can't blame God. God wasen't the one who abused you. Sometimes when you pray for something the answer doesn't come right away but if you keep having faith God will answer your prayers. Hes answered a lot of mine. I lost a best friend because I was to "good" for her taste. Guess what happened to her? She steals now and shes into some bad stuff.

All I can say is God died for you. There is the bible to prove it. And if your not greatful for that than thats to bad. If your gonna hold a grudge on God for something bad that happened in the past that wasen't even God's fault than thats to bad. I understand it must be harder for you to believe now but talk to your Christian friends, listen to them, open your mind. I'm not gonna try to force my opinion on you but I just feel it's to bad that after what happened to you, you can't be greatful that eventually you did get through it and have been blessed with a lot.

Oh, how convenient. Spirit, eh? Well then the least he could do is show his face to me in a dream or something. If he wants me to believe in him so bad he's got to prove he exists first. The Bible does nothing for him. In my eyes, it's just another work of fiction written ages ago. And, grateful for what? He didn't die. Jesus did, and he was nothing more than a prophet. I do not blame God for what happened to me. All I'm saying is praying to him does nothing for me. He doesn't want anything to do with me, apparently, so he has made no attempt to answer my prayers in any form or way.

Since he was nice enough to answer your prayers: good for you. He likes you. You can go hang out in Heaven and I'll go hang out in Hell and try to become a general like Azazel. 3nodding  
Literate Hell

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff