Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Chainmaille and Wire Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Allomer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:51 pm
1) Splitrings are like the rings on a keychain. They loop around twice, with a break between one layer to pass through another ring. Jump rings are single loops, like the ones in a jewellry chain or in chainmaille. Split rings are great for amour/anything strong and itt doesn't require welding. Jump rings may or may not be welded shut (soldered?), depending on the quality of the project.

2) I work in aluminum and stainless steel for clothing, and copper and sterling silver for jewellry. I highly reccomend The Ring Lord for tutorials, forum help, and ordering supplies. Superb products and shipping. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:49 am
i usually work wiht Galvy...  

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

gemini6184

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:17 pm
A friend of mine used to do his chainmail work at school in between classes. And sometimes during class. Its neat to watch them work. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:45 am
My only issues with galvy and copper is that they'll stain your skin/clothing if you wear them often. I like the look of titanium, but it's a b***h to work with.  

Padmasana

_rio-san_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:09 am
Well, ive never made chain mail but I would LOVE to try it in the future.

Ive mostly worked in sculpture - with wire and steal. Sometimes I like to sauder as well. I took a sculpture class at my university and learned how to weld. It was AMAZING. heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:20 am
i would love to learn how to make mail.....sadly, i don't think having little circles of metal around a baby would be a wise idea..... sweatdrop  

Maki Minakoaino

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:46 pm
well if you can hide the rings and the tools, then you should eb safe and babyproofed, but you'de have to nopt mind being away from it for a while.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm
I'm gonna be getting started with making stuff hopefully later this week! I ordered an aluminum kit from The Ring Lord.

any ideas on which weave is a good starter?  

Yugure no Tasogare

Iyou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:03 pm
I've done a little work with making chainmail, and I'd say that a basic four-on-one is definitely a good weave to learn. It's used for, like, everything.

Anyone have any good, quick ways of making rings? I used to wrap wire around a dowel rod about twenty times, and then go at cutting them off with a hacksaw... which took forever. Later I attempted to use a dremel tool to cut them more quickly, but that actually broke the dremel bit I was using! eek Maybe my wire was too thick... I can't remember how big the gauge was anymore, since it was at least a year ago.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:11 am
well.... with the ring cutting, I think they have a few tutorials on MailleArtisan.org  

Yugure no Tasogare

Yugure no Tasogare

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:11 pm
yay! I started making stuff with chain maille! I'm hooked.... probably gonna run outta rings in a few days, lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:15 pm
Cool! whee Post some pictures of your work if you can, I'd love to see it!  

Iyou

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:42 pm
If your tryign to make rings, wrap the coils and cut them with some aviation snips.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:50 am
I have three bracelets done so far
Bracelet 1- made with 14 gauge anodized aluminum in the coyote weave, it's my first bracelet ever and I'm proud of it ^^
Bracelet 2- same materials as the first, same weave, just different colors. made for one of the younger campers at camp as part of a bracelet trade.
Bracelet 3 my third bracelet, and second weave. It's flowers in cages, but I call it roses in cages because of the coloring. it was made for a friend and she loved it.  

Yugure no Tasogare

Kitanya_Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:14 pm
Yugure no Tasogare
I have three bracelets done so far
Bracelet 1- made with 14 gauge anodized aluminum in the coyote weave, it's my first bracelet ever and I'm proud of it ^^
Bracelet 2- same materials as the first, same weave, just different colors. made for one of the younger campers at camp as part of a bracelet trade.
Bracelet 3 my third bracelet, and second weave. It's flowers in cages, but I call it roses in cages because of the coloring. it was made for a friend and she loved it.

Those are lovely! Your color choices are really nice... *nods* It looks like they took a while. good job on them smile  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff