Back to Guilds

Tags: neopets, neopia 

Reply Neopia Central
Neopets finally gone too far with sponsors? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Has Neopets finally gone too far with sponsors and trying to make money?
  Yep.
  Nope.
View Results

KeliJo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:33 pm
I pay for neo, because I hate the adds, but that is not the only reason. I love the extra NP you get, and the hidden boards are Spam, and N00b free, most of the time. also I use the web mail adress for alot of things. In fact I used it to sign up for this site. xD paying for neo have its advantage.
but I know its not for every one.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:52 pm
I'm sorry if this topic made anybody "angry" - does but anybody realize Neopets isn't run out of the goodness of their hearts? The site's been able to turn a profit since it was just beginning.

I'm not exactly sure how much it costs to run a site as huge as Neopets - but tell me - does anybody here who wants to claim Neopets has so many things to pay for ads, sponsor items, games, shops, and certain feature only accesible by paying is absolutely necessary?

Neopets was sold to Viacom for $160 million. They make tons just on their "immersive advertising", as they like to call it. They sell trading cards, action figures, stuffed animals, and video games - which just makes up a small portion of their revenue. They even own a huge amount on marketing data on kids under 12 (which is difficult to get due to COPPA laws) - which they sell (market research, not personal data) to other companies - giving "unparalleled access to young people" as their company press kit phrases it.

If anybody wants to argue with this - please, at least do a little bit of research and try understanding it first before yelling out "LIVE WITH IT!".  

Certified Dyke

Kalee_633

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:05 pm
Well, I just joined neopets last year, around september or august, so I started with the ads and am used to them. They don't bother me at all. And I understand how much such a big website will cost! Anyway, think of all the easy-np sponsor games lol
And they said that they DIDN'T sell neopets. I'm not sure now though.... hmmm.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:29 pm
*sigh* Neopets can't make money on thier own, 'tis why.  

Syarasu

EBthePurple

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:52 pm
I ignore the adds, but they can be alittle anoying. What makes me mad is they want you to spend money, and little kids can't. which is most of the pop on neopets.

But then again TNT needs to make money some how.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:00 pm
ilovemycat5
I tottaly agree with you.
And Magic_By_Heart- Stop lieing. You don't know the first thing about
Neopets. What more you've only been on for 15 months. They DID
promise that, and just because you weren't here when they did, doesn't
mean they didn't. stare

Be quiet you don't even know me I am not lieing! Your the liar. I have been on neopets for at least 4 years tops! I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!  

magic_by_heart

Certified Dyke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:53 am
No need for outbursts. x___0
I've been on Neopets for over six years.
I do generally have a good idea of what they've said over the years.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:24 pm
Honestly, i'm not too bothered by the ads. It's either deal with them, or everyone get charged to play neopets. Some people can't afford that, so it's easier to just accept the ads and play as if they weren't there.  

Yaymeimashi

8,650 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Clambake 200

KeliJo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:27 pm
I just saw a add on Gaia, If you look at your jounal, there is one on that page, It is very small, and near the top of the page. Not the very top, but near there.

and there is some when you submit your posts, or poll awnsers. So there is adds on Gaia also.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:31 pm
I don't see the problem with having ads on neopets. If the pop-ups ones annoy you, then just download yahoo pop-up blocker for free.
The people who run neo- that's their job. They're not going to work for free, they're going to want to milk out every last bit of profit they can get, so they get other big companies to pay them a lot of money to host their ads. It makes sense to me.
Also, when TNT promised that they'd never have more than one ad, etc, they probably didn't realise how huge the site would become, and how expensive it would become to host.  

moonflowerislemonflavour

ilovemycat5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:54 am
Kalee_633
Well, I just joined neopets last year, around september or august, so I started with the ads and am used to them. They don't bother me at all. And I understand how much such a big website will cost! Anyway, think of all the easy-np sponsor games lol
And they said that they DIDN'T sell neopets. I'm not sure now though.... hmmm.

Neopets was sold to Viacom....  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:44 pm
Oh yeah, I do remember that years ago they had less sponsors. Hmm,I guess I'll vote 'Yep.' on the poll.  

dolphinSYJ

Gt_The_Pyromatic_Tanuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:50 am
I don't mind the banners, but the ones that pop up in the middle of my screen unexpectedly scares me O__o. But then again, these ads are paying bills and bringing in profit. So I guess it's good for THEM.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:56 pm
I'v had like one pop-up.  

ilovemycat5

AlbinoBudgie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:21 pm
True, thats bad, but they also offer you a way out, get premium. i did, i think its worth it, besides what company DOUSNT want to make money??  
Neopia Central

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff