Yea.
  No way!
  Eh...Somtimes.
  Hot Topic?
View Results

.Sodomy.On.A.Stick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:14 pm
-sigh-

I love Hot Topic personally, seeing as it's the ONLY place I can get anywhere near "gothic" clothes around here.

((It's Connecticut, ********. There are no goddamn indie shops here.))

-sighhh-

I don't care about fashion.

I don't care about having a certain look. I wear what I want, and you can go die if you want to start calling me a "poseur". I wear the Hot Topic t-shirts because they often have the bands I like, and they have some animes I like. I don't live off Hot Topic, however. I wear my Wal-Mart jeans and my black Kohl's tees all the time. I just wear whatever I feel like throwing on this bag of flesh and bones.

-shrug-

That's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:20 pm
.Sodomy.On.A.Stick.
-sigh-

I love Hot Topic personally, seeing as it's the ONLY place I can get anywhere near "gothic" clothes around here.

-sighhh-

I don't care about having a certain look. I wear what I want, and you can go die if you want to start calling me a "poseur". I wear the Hot Topic t-shirts because they often have the bands I like, and they have some animes I like. I don't live off Hot Topic, however. I wear my Wal-Mart jeans and my black Kohl's tees all the time. I just wear whatever I feel like throwing on this bag of flesh and bones.

-shrug-

heart

Same with me. I'll shop any and everywhere there's clothes I like.

AverageTyrant

.Sodomy.On.A.Stick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:26 pm
AnimeTemptress
.Sodomy.On.A.Stick.
-sigh-

-sighhh-

-shrug-

heart

Exactly =3

No special label needed =O

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:37 pm
in a way it is "poser-ish"...and in a way its not.....

it is because it tries to please mainstream stuff while keeping a punk-like edge....

its not because, for those of us who don't really shop online, its one of the only places to get stuff without going completely out of your way....

....but I bet if another place opened up worldwide, didn't care much about mainstream, and had enough money and support to last a while (say at least 10 years) that Hot Topic would not even try to compete and become completely mainstream......  

OverlordMMM

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:54 pm
Calling anything "poser" is rather odd. I have never heard it used in any way that could not be more accurately said, "I did this first, so you are not as cool as i am."  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:02 pm
......does anyone have any better terms than poser and mainstream......they don't really fit the context of what we're talking about right....  

OverlordMMM

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:18 pm
OverlordMMM
......does anyone have any better terms than poser and mainstream......they don't really fit the context of what we're talking about right....

Sure they do.

Poser: Anybody doing what i did first.
Mainstream: Whatever anybody else likes; not cool.

They fit perfectly!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:28 pm
Poser: someone who wears and acts a certain way to either fit in or rebel

mainstream: things that appeal to the masses rather than the individual

.......still does anyone know better terms.....  

OverlordMMM

Ndoki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:19 pm
GilAskan
EmoXPickles_________x
GilAskan
Ndoki
I find it very poser-esque but that's just me. Just leave it to stores like that to make gothic clothing mainstream and increase the number of skin goths. *Shudder.*

eww. Kindergoths, mallgoths, mallcore... ewww. While I don't blame Hot Topic, I do think they are one of the factors in the exponential growth of the posuer-goth cultures.
I'm pretty sure they are, I mean, have you noticed there's a Hot Topic in almost every mall?

What I meant was that they weren't wholey responsible for posuer goths, nor did they start the trend. They do contribute to it's growth though, and do nothing to stop it.

This is primarily why I have greater respect for goths who don't wear all black and makeup all the time. Any tween can go into hot topic and buy some clothes and call themselves goth, but very few can redeem themselves as goths solely on how they act. 3nodding So yeah, a store promoting themselves and focusing so heavily on wannabe goth clothes would definately increase the numbers, although it isn't their fault that the people shopping there may or not be posers, but it is making it worse.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:36 am
OverlordMMM
Poser: someone who wears and acts a certain way to either fit in or rebel

mainstream: things that appeal to the masses rather than the individual

.......still does anyone know better terms.....

A poser (posuer, actually) is a person who follows a trend because it's a trend. In other words, they'd rebel and dress "punk" not because they're rebellious or a fan of punk music, but because it's what's popular. They'd dress like goths not because they're a goth, but because they think it'll make them cool. A poser can also be a person who specifically does things against the mainstream as a way to stand out. As soon as something they liked got popular, they would no longer like it and move on to something else. For example, despite not being a goth, they would dress like a goth to seem unique, until it became popular at which point they'd do something else.

Mainstream refers to whatever is most popular at any given time. It can refer to any popular belief, fashion, media, or slang.  

GilAskan
Crew

FenderSkaface

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:45 am
I don't think hot topic is posuerish. Yea when your in there you see some preps but that doesn't mean it's posuerish...I mean most of my friends who are BIG preps are afraid of hottopic. It's funny.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:58 am
Fenderstratogirl
I don't think hot topic is posuerish. Yea when your in there you see some preps but that doesn't mean it's posuerish...I mean most of my friends who are BIG preps are afraid of hottopic. It's funny.

What we mean by posuer-ish is that a lot of the customers are teenagers with little or no conception of what goth or punk is, but shop there exclusively, thinking that it makes them goth/punk.  

GilAskan
Crew

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:29 am
AnimeTemptress
.Sodomy.On.A.Stick.
-sigh-

-sighhh-

-shrug-

heart

I do the same thing. You can find something almost anywhere if you look hard enough.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:09 am
GilAskan
Hot Topic's legitimacy in the goth culture is a topic I have commonly heard debated. I think I best summed it up duing a conversation I had a few weeks ago:

"It's good to pop into CVS if you need just a few simple things (aspirin, film, pencils, etc.), but you wouldn't want to shop exclusively there, would you? No, you'd go to Miejjers, or Kroger, or Walmart. Likewise. Hot Topic is like the goth CVS. It's good to pop in for a few simple things (eyeliner, a Projekt CD, fishnets, etc.), but you couldn't shop exclusively there. The majority of the CDs are pop-punk and metal, the majority of the fashions aimed at teens who want to rebel. Good for a quick pick up, yeah, but with far better stores online (like Heavy Red, Argoth, Goth-Shop, Drac-in-a-Box, etc.), why Hot Topic?"

As for it's "goth-oscity" (how goth it really is) I'll post on that a bit later.
Drac-in-a-box? eek I loves Drac-in-a-box! The only thing I've bought from Hot Topic was a pair of Fullmetal Alchemist shoes. I love them! smile But yeah, their customers annoy the Hell outta me.  

KoRnfucius

Beatngufan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:15 am
Their clothes are too expensive!!!! emo I only go there for the c.ds and the posters cheese_whine  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff