New Pope Good or Bad? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keistera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:54 am
mangaelfgirl
i think this whole pope business is a bunch of heirarchical crap. why shud anybody have to listen to the views and opinions of one man and have their life affected by it? everyone's entitled to their opinion but no-one shud be allowed 'godlike' authority over anyone domokun

Maybe not in a religion that lacks a central "government" sort of thing (like, say, solitary paganism)... but, it doesn't work that way in the Catholic church. What he says may be made law for that religion, but it doesn't mean all Catholics will follow it.

It has worked for this religion for millenia. Eventually, the system will cease to work and the religion will fall apart.

Aaaand... I forgot what I was going to say. Aaagh! That's been happening a lot this week. xp  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:35 am
http://www.bibleprobe.com/last10popes.htm

This is an interesting site concerning a prophecy made by a certai St. Malachy in the 11 hundreds made about the coming popes. According to it, the current pope is the second to last. Check it out  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:07 am
Nihilistic Seraph

This is an interesting site concerning a prophecy made by a certai St. Malachy in the 11 hundreds made about the coming popes. According to it, the current pope is the second to last. Check it out

Interesting, but highly doubtful...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:39 am
Atma311
Nihilistic Seraph

Interesting, but highly doubtful...
Sort of a food for thought sort of thing. I doubt it will be the end of the world. Maybe the end of catholocism. After all, everything must pass eventually, and catholocism has had it's time. Now, the fastest growing religions are Wicca and Islam  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Keistera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:19 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Sort of a food for thought sort of thing. I doubt it will be the end of the world. Maybe the end of catholocism. After all, everything must pass eventually, and catholocism has had it's time. Now, the fastest growing religions are Wicca and Islam

We will see.

That's not very comforting if Wicca is one of the fastest growing religions (Which I highly doubt), considering how it's so... pop-culture driven. :/  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:04 am
I don't think we'll see anything overly significant with this new pope; he was Jean Paul II right hand man, and has very similar values and beliefs. If anything, we'll see more of the same for the limited time he'll be in power, and if it is 15 years, I think that's pushing it.

Of course I had hoped for a more liberal pope this time around, but apparently the Catholic church isn't quite ready for that; it will come in time. Where the church is such a large institution, it takes quite a bit of time for any sort of change to be implemented, mainly because the changes have to be discussed and the pope can't just make declarations all willy-nilly.

Keistera: Wicca is actually documented as the fastest growing religion at the moment. I've had a few profs talk about it in classes, but the main reason isn't that it's based in pop culture; that's what's drawing in many of the younger crowd, many of whom don't stay because it's not like Charmed or Buffy, but it's the attiude it carries towards women, especially. Converts find it liberating, and much more supportive than the denominations they came from. It's predicted that by approx. 2012, if the growth rate continues, that Wicca will be THE largest religion in the world. It may very well be before that, since the surveys take covens and circles into more consideration than the staggering number of solitary pactitioners out there.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas