Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Oh my God.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should it be done?
  No
  Yes
View Results

Ultimate Antihero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:03 am
My non-native English speaker's opinion is that half of that article isn't in English. eek  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:22 am
Well, if they push that through I think we can safely call it something other then English. Still chances are small of this happening.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:55 pm
That was freakishly weird. It was difficult to read.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:39 pm
ew...  

fluffypants

wonkyspoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:15 am
stressed

Simplify the English language?

That's like . . . that's . . . it's BLASPHEMY!

If it wasn't for this wonderful guild, I would lose faith in humanity.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:42 am
Wow, that was truly disturbing, i couldnt even read the rest of it.  

multicolored~gummybears

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:22 pm
Ultimate Antihero
My non-native English speaker's opinion is that half of that article isn't in English. eek
i must agree with you. though i frequently alter the pronunciation of words when i speak merely for the sake of being weird, the knowledge that our country has sunk that low truely frightens me. especially since i occasionally insult people in Shakespearean.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:24 pm
NO! IT'S HAPPENING! IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! RUN AND HIDE EVERYONE, RUN AND HIDE!

Ok, now that that's out of my system. That article is a grim preview of things to come.  

lola_siannodel

Klandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:25 pm
They can't change the spelling of words, that would be wrong. I should it too my mom and she didn't like the idea. She said it mostly likely won't happen. I barely could read all of that.

The only way I would agree on it is that for people trying to learn english. The people who speak a different language might be more easier for them to learn. That's the only part where I soften up about this.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:52 am
I really hope this is a joke.  

Laustere

Dapper Genius

Hot_Cocoa42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:58 pm
Well, if people want to spell how words sound, they should learn a more phonetic language. Spanish is. And while people say english is a hard language to learn once you know it, I don't think it's that hard to spell. Really some people are just lazy. stare Though I'm one to talk. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:09 pm
It won't. With any luck, it'll turn out like the metric system, with us coming up with it, and another country stealing it. Then we can all laugh at them and their crazy language.

Still, I've been working on learning a number of different languages(I'm just starting, to tell the truth), and I've got to say that this won't bode well. If it passes, three fourths of the teachers in America will go on strike. Almost all of the teacher's Unions oppose it.

The only problem is that some of that article is correct. Don't mininterpret my words. I hate the idea, because I hate illiteracy. I don't hate illiterate people unless they know how to spell, and they choose not to. But text messages, instant messages, and places like the chatterbox are giving a lot of strength to the opposition.

There are people out there that will oppose this far too strongly. Influential people, and people that influence influential people. Then there are people that will try to get this passed. With any luck, something will change their minds, but stupid people don't normally change their opinion. Just look at Jack Thompson.  

Rukoric

Quaffed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:19 pm
You know, I didn't even read that article, so forgive me if I say something completely off. ^^;;

Simplifying English-- no, no, excuse me, I mean American. Simplifying the American language could only prove that we're making pretty bad moves way too often. Just because our literacy rate is dropping doesn't mean making things easier will make us smarter, or in this case, more literate. Simplifying would probably make us probably either less literate. Sorry, bad analogy coming up. Take no offence! I enjoy living. >.< Making spellings easier is like giving the learning-disabled kids an automatic B+ or something while they're in a regular class instead of being in a class that suits their needs.

And...I say the American language, because, over the course of American history, words from other languages have incorporated themselves into the daily language of Americans. biggrin I learned so from 8th Grade Social Studies. *nods*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:29 pm
I think I'm feeling something! Nah, that's just me feeling like PUKING. I mean come on! Since when was it good to spell with numbers? burning_eyes  

chrystalclear

Mercenary Rubedo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:13 pm
don't make words easier to spell, because then more people wouldn't understand the big words I use. And trust me, I use them a LOT  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff