Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"... If you know what I mean" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:48 pm
I had to work with an 'izzle' addict for a while. That helpdesk assignment was some of the most frustrating work I've ever done. At the end of each statement or phrase he said something with 'izzle' at the end of it. gonk

As for the 'like, you know' people... Can I help you with your hammer? I have a good arm for bludgening!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:43 am
wonkyspoon
Filler words . . . well, I'd be a hypocrite if I said that I didn't say "like" or "you know" more than I should. The thing is, people are talking faster than they used to. If I talk to my grandparents, they talk slowly and deliberately. Compared to them, our sentences are high-speed trainwrecks. But that's just the way things are, I suppose.

I agree. I think there's something about people today being in a hurry and talking too fast, but then I'm not sure why they add filter words if they're in a hurry. Hm, it's confusing. I guess that's just how things works.

I say "like" and "y'know" quite often. I really don't care that I do, though. It's bad grammar, but it's just they way I talk.  

pythonesque

Kawaii Fatcat

dianersj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:22 pm
Maybe if you take her literally she feels insecure if you actually get her drift so to speak or if you're actually listening to her. Or it could be that one of her family members started saying it or something of the sort. Or it could simply mean that she thinks its cool to say "if you know what i mean." Well hey, it could be worse, she could say "like" a whole lot.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:06 am
I say "by the same token" an obnoxious number of times...I think it's just habit. I agree it's annoying, but I can see where she's coming from because she probably doesn't even notice it. I think it has to do with the fact that we're becoming less clear in our communication so we need to confirm that you do, indeed, understand what the hell I'm talking about.  

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

ch4nel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:18 am
The main word i feel uncomfortable with, is "Yo". Its just the horrible. of all slang. "Yoooo was up??" Its just realy annoying.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:06 pm
Its just like a girl I know who says ' No offence'. Errrr! I will ring my hands around her neck while screaming no offence!  

Dead Twisted Romance

georgette_x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:59 am
Who knows why? I think its just a weird expression that came about, one that everyone uses but doesn't make sense when you think about it. I use it waaaaay too often.

I agree, "no offence" is the most annoying expression. If you didn't mean any offence, then why did you say it?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:23 pm
I say " you Know what?" a lot more then I say like...
And I talk way to fast, so that is really bad lazy habits that I got myself into.
Think before I speak...that is what everyone says to me.  

~Natures Child~

Aari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:48 pm
They thing that annoys me is when people say "Anyways..." a lot. It just irks me....  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:44 am
SeleigheFey
People hate being quiet. They feel that if they don't fill the silences with something, the other person will either finish their sentence or--gasp--come up with a thought of their own. "Um" is acceptable within reason, to designate thought, but "like," "you know," and others are habits that must be broken.

I like the quiet. Am I strange that way? If there's a silence, I rarely feel the need to fill it. Other people make aimless small talk, while I just stand there wishing they'd say something useful. Maybe I just ave no social skills. sweatdrop stare
domokun domokun domokun domokun  

[tHe_RaVe]

SiCKittie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:41 am
People adding things to their sentances.. I think that most people that do that, do it because other people do. It's a fad or something. It's slang and words that people just add in when they may not mean to, but they do it because they are exposed (sp) to it all the time.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 am
agny-pantsu
There's nothing wrong with saying, "...you know what I mean" jokingly every once in a while (this sketch comes to mind http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/nudge.html) mrgreen

I absolutely cannot stand people who constantly say "like"... I want to beat them with a hammer O.o ninja

Oh my gosh!! I have to agree with you on this one. I was once sitting on a bus and two girls across from me were saying "like" with EVERY THIRD WORD!! I just about turned around and told them to 'shut the hell up!' I didn't though. I had to enjure half an hour of "And he was like... And she was like..." gonk gonk gonk scream scream scream  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers