Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
When to use ellipses? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use ellipses?
  Yes
  No
  What are ellipses?
View Results

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:46 pm
Technically, the only time it's "proper" to use an ellipse is as a literary technique (common in fiction) or when quoting something but omitting something in the middle; for example, say I wanted to quote "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" but I wanted to omit a bit. The correct quote might look something like this: "the...fox jumped over the lazy dog". It could also look like this: "the [...] fox jumped over the lazy dog". It really depends on the style of quotation you prefer.

The only other time I can think to use it is when you specifically want to let something "hang", often in fiction right before a time shift:

"Lucy sensed something was wrong. Little did she know..."

Of course, I over-use ellipses when I'm casually speaking, and there are other reasons to use them, but generally speaking, that would be what you use them for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:28 pm
Allllll the time. I'm a bit of an ellipse whore. Even though until now I thought ellipses were ovals.  

georgette_x

Hyotana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54 pm
Elispes are a desiese and a way out.

and I use them WAY too much.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:55 pm
Ellipse-whore over here too!!  

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:18 pm
georgette_x
Allllll the time. I'm a bit of an ellipse whore. Even though until now I thought ellipses were ovals.
Huh. Looking it up, you're right....the term for the "..." is "ellipsis", not "ellipse" which is, indeed, a geometrical shape similar to an oval (technically ovals aren't really ellipses because it's based on the distance of the points from the centre, but that's pure technicality) xd good fun  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:27 pm
Well seeing as how i'm absolutely horrible at ending my thoughts I generally end most of the things I type like so...

But when I occasionally have a great ending their not used at all. I just find them more appealing then one period though I only use them at the end of a thought or paragraph.

I guess you could call me a major Ellipsis whore...

dark and demented

[Riyuu]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 am
I use them all the time as well. I can't really explain when to use them or not.

I just know when...

HAHA.

Oh man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:48 am
I overuse them whenever I don't know how to end my sentence  

Lou101

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:05 am
They're typically used in quoates when you want to cut something off. Example:instead of "Amanda has too much time on her hands-for she is oftentimes bored-and a computer to assist her", one could put down, "Amanda has too much time on her hands[...]and a computer to assist her".  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:44 am
I over use them as well... Basically to say my mind's drifting to a different topic and the transition won't be smooth. See? Yeah...
Or that I don't really know what to say, which is the case when "Yeah" comes before the ellipses.  

Ariomness

Raspukittin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:34 am
I have an ongoing vendetta against ellipses, simply because they're the most abused puntuation marks on the face of the internet. People just can't resist throwing them in at random, whenever the hell they wish.

Ellipses can be used to omit words.

Ellipses can be used to end a sentence that's meant to trail off.

Ellipses cannot be used to indicate a pause in speech, no matter how dramatic that pause is. It's like throwing in random periods just to look cool.

I can tolerate it in casual chats, but it has no place in RPs or fiction and people need to get that through their skulls.

[/rant]

Yes, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. :/

Edit: Because. . . doesn't it make me. . . look like a complete. . . asstard when I type like. . . this? Yeah it does.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:06 pm
From what I've come to understand, (and someone has most likely posted something similar to what I'm about to type) is that the only time I really use ellipses is when I'm doing some sort of paper (eg. term or research) and I have a quote that I want to excise words from.

Other than that, I don't use them quite often.

I've seen people use them to trail off as said before, and I've also seen people use them in the middle of sentences. I don't know why.
It doesn't really makes sense to me.

limp dick

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:40 am
I use ellipses when I'm RPing. I have a silent type of character who trails off or just says "..." I also use them a lot in informal writing. It is usually what I type to show that the thoughts are slightly interrupted. Typing in ellipses are my way of taking a breath while typing. I never write them out. (you know when you have a pen in paper like you parents used to)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff