Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words one should never use in a formal paper. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  GOLD GOLD.
  This is helpful..
View Results

Danapal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:05 am
Of course, internet slang, such as "lol" or "omg."  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:40 am
"really"
"extremely"
"very"
"good"
"great"
"interesting"
"fantastic"
"wonderful"
"in other words"
"I think/believe/feel/argue"
"thing"
"stuff"
"it" (in excess)
"like" (unless you're using it for a legitimate comparison, and even so, stronger words like "as compared with" might be more appropriate anyway...basically, none of this "it was, like, twenty pounds" nonsense)
using Arabic numbers rather than spelling it out (unless it's a large number)

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200

georgette_x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:18 pm
I got marked off for using "tons" in a paper once. As in, "There was tons of garbage lying everywhere."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 am
Don't use these too much!(as in you can use them occasionally):

Because
And
Then
Also
I (never use unless a story from 1-st person view!)

Try to change your "transition words" often!  

Dr. Elfy

Lissiwen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:58 pm
I don’t know why, but my English teachers always seem to get rather angry when I use the word “hence” in a paper. I’ve always thought it was a perfectly good word and I tend to use it once every few assignments, but my last English teacher actually wrote in that I needed to use language from this century or I couldn’t be credible when talking about a modern concept.
So don't use the word hence... or thus.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:24 pm
Never use "this" without a noun after it. You have to elaborate what "this" is. Also, never use "you." Using generalities like this word (<-- see, a noun) will get points deducted from your paper.  

Missy Wyvern

fyrebrite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:01 pm
Lissiwen
I don’t know why, but my English teachers always seem to get rather angry when I use the word “hence” in a paper. I’ve always thought it was a perfectly good word and I tend to use it once every few assignments, but my last English teacher actually wrote in that I needed to use language from this century or I couldn’t be credible when talking about a modern concept.

That just seems a bit stupid to me.

All of my english teachers say we should have our own voice when we right. Thus, it would make us a unique writer. So it would seem logically that you should be allowed to use "hence" and "thus."  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:24 am
More then 2-3 descriptive words per sentence!  

Srgt effin Moo

SoulDruidKazeko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:06 pm
According to my critical listining professor, the word "slop" is not a good word to use.

... who would use the word Slop in a term paper? neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:11 pm
fyrebrite
Lissiwen

That just seems a bit stupid to me.

All of my english teachers say we should have our own voice when we right. Thus, it would make us a unique writer. So it would seem logically that you should be allowed to use "hence" and "thus."

Once you get to college (unless you are there already, in which case you already know), they don't want you to have your own voice in your paper. That is for creative and high-school writing only. One must only use standard English syntax. One should never use metaphor or allegory unless the propmt says to.

I really suck at it, though. Because metaphor is my best friend... cry

Oh, and in a formal paper, never use parenthasis. Becasue that just makes ya look indecisive. And never use words like "seems" for the same reason.

Never refer to yourself or to the reader. Never controdict the professor, even if he/she is wrong. Never use more semi-colons than you need- they are becoming obsolite. Never controdict the profesor, even if he/she is wrong. Even if he or she is wrong, never controdict the professor. ... gonk

And don't use repetative syntax. And don't use repetative syntax. And don't use repetative syntax... blaugh  

SoulDruidKazeko

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:26 am
More words not to use:

dude
babe
homey
homeboy
homegirl
ho  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:32 am
when paraphrasing.. cite.. always cite when in doubt.  

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 am
A lot of people here seem to not be acknowledging the fact that this is for formal papers. Not stories, essays, or whatever.

WRT the original question, "could of".

georgette_x
I got marked off for using "tons" in a paper once. As in, "There was tons of garbage lying everywhere."

A) Should be "were" -- tons is plural.
B) You were probably marked off because it's an obvious hyperbole.

@ Lissiwen: It's entirely possible you're using it wrong. Or, your English teacher is just stupid. Here, there, and where and all their inflections are still very much in use.

@ SoulDruidKazeko: You can have your own voice without using metaphor or allegory.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:43 am
My teacher busts us for these:

Good
Bad
Nice
Pretty
Ugly
You
Don't
Won't (Words like this. We have to spell out can not, or do not, and so on and so forth.)  

Ocean_Skye

Ocean_Skye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:45 am
SoulDruidKazeko
According to my critical listining professor, the word "slop" is not a good word to use.

... who would use the word Slop in a term paper? neutral

I have used the word slob...

What is slop?

Isn't that like, what pigs eat?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items