Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How much longer will English be used in the U.S.? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you heard this before?
  Yes
  No
View Results

SteakGrowsOnDimitri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:28 pm
I hear that at least 300 million people speak English worldwide. In fact, in Europe some companies that have merged across borders have chosen to do their buisness in English. To me, English has things that are far too unique for us to lose. Consider this: in no other language are there thesaruses (or is it thesauri? smile ) like there are in English. The shades of meaning which color our daily language are almost absent in all other tounges. Though there is no national language in the U.S. it is obvious that English is the dominat mode of communication in all formal parts of life. Though, when I was in Miami two years ago, I did notice an alarming number of Spanish-only billboards.

Until it is somehow proven that Spanish is overtaking English as the dominant language here, I think that this idea may be another theory put forth by people who are more worried about the presence of illegal aliens than the language they speak. But that, truly, is another discussion altogether.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:44 am
Nonsense: there are emigrants all over the world, not only in US.
Look at Montreal, there are more people from other countries than Canadians and french is still the oficial language.  

LaForet

SteakGrowsOnDimitri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:18 am
But I think the important difference in the U.S. is that English is not actaually the official language; it just happens to be the most common one.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:41 pm
stuntmonkey
With all the Hispanics coming over to America I've heard rumors that since there is no set language for America it could someday be a Spanish speaking country. I hope that never happens.

Yup. I've heard that alot.

Of course, it would probably end up being some kind of fusion of the two languages. If that.  

lola_siannodel

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces