Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IS RED SEXY?
  YES-NO
View Results

samuraichikX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:31 am
alright since there is a bit of confusion with the guy kenshin is based on i've decided to quote something from the manga that watsuki wrote about here goes:

Kawakami gensai was one of the four great hitokiri, or assassins, of the revolutionary (bakumatsu) period. he was short and skinny, and could be mistaken at first glance for a woman. contrary to his appearance tho he was clever and clear headed despite also being mose dreaded among all the hitokiri.

master of an original sword style called shiranui-ryu kawakami is famous for felling the great idealist Sakumi Shozan in one swing, in mid day. kawakami is nevertheless a mysterious figure, however as there are no certain records of his other assassinations.

after the revolution and unable to let go of the idea that japan should remain closed to the world kawakami found himself in frequent conflict with the revolutionary government. ultimately, he was accused of a crime he did not commit and executed in the 4th year of the meiji.

(watsuki) as i researched further, it began to occur to me that the story wasnt so cut and dried. what this hitokiri could not let go of was his duto to his fallen comrades, and to the men that he had killed. it's this that gave me the initial idea for the kenshin character. as for others, there is the selflessness of okita soshi of the shinsengumi and the mysterious quality of saito hajime...but, then again, who knows.

hope this helps ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:06 pm
I think the color red was chosen to 1) make him stand out, and 2) to show Kenshin's blood-stained past and how no matter where he goes, he is constantly reminded of it by the color. I think it is both symbolic and just practical to make him easily recognizable.  

fungrl515

7,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

cycloneoldaccount

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:27 pm
I've only met one asian, and old chinese lady, with naturally red hair. Very rare. I know I'm random, so sue me. I thought it was interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:21 am
fungrl515
I think the color red was chosen to 1) make him stand out, and 2) to show Kenshin's blood-stained past and how no matter where he goes, he is constantly reminded of it by the color. I think it is both symbolic and just practical to make him easily recognizable.
Well, as the autor of the anime/manga has allowed information of, kawakami gensai, born with red hair, was a slight influence on the character Himura kenshin. It wasnt so much to make him stand out or remind him of his past, his past was gave back to him through nightmares of the past and war trauma. I have studied almost everything in my grasp on Kawakami Gensai, he is a major influence in my life, some would call this a role model.

I do beleive that kenshin was half-based on kawakami, however, not fully, due to the historical guidlines and facts on kawakami. But yes, the red hair was influenced by kawakami, or so, this is what the autor has hinted at.

^_^

Youkosama

Dangerous Lunatic

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0

chocolateee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:40 pm
because too much pplz that the blood stained his hair heart  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:09 pm
Why not? This is anime, after all. Nothing HAS to make sense, especially regarding hair color. anyone whose seen any anime can tell you that.

Plus, It's just cool.  

Bibliophillic

Enishi-san

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:21 pm
Bleach = Same thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:38 am
kenshin's hair is red because it makes him look cool.  

C0FFIN

NewtypeS3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:31 pm
Let's also not forget that in Japan, the color red is pretty much the heroic color.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:38 pm
I think watsuki made Kenshin's hair red so that he would stand out more as the main character, and because, well, black hair and dark brown eyes on every one gets boring after a while.
Personally, in my own little world, I liked to think that his mommy was Irish or something. LOLZ. Weird I know....  

Lady Boleyn

Athrun 789

Greedy Raider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:32 pm
I do not know why it is red but in talk2hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:12 pm
becuz it is stare stare JK  

santannamoss

flutflut

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:00 pm
i don't know why but i think it's cute.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:47 am
I'd say to make kenshin stand out.  

d a s Z o m b i e

Deathfire-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:59 pm
It got dyed with blood from all his kills.
I jest, he was born like that.  
~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces