Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The continuing insult to the language Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SeleigheFey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:56 pm
I taught myself to speed-read when I was really little...how I did was a long story...and so I can get through books really fast. So, I've read a very large amount of books. Things I thought were common knowledge apparently are not, like who Jack the Ripper was or the definition of cynical.
I constantly correct my teachers regarding spelling and grammar--I kept a list last year of every time my Health teacher made an error, and the list was huge!
I listened to my mom's old records all the time, until the record player broke.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:47 am
DarkElf27
Ouch. Much pain. stressed Though, I disagree mildly, I think America is worse off, literacy-wise.

I agree, America is a declineing literary state.
Good thing we have Australia!!!
rofl

EDIT: Yes, i know. Lame Joke!  

coolrider102030

ChibbiChlessla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:02 am
I strongly agree that the Education depends on the Teacher. If the English teacher is using bad grammar, it doesn't exactly encourage the students to say it right. Keeping in mind though, that teachers *hate* being corrected by thier students, I don't think it's right to call them out in front of the class. To me, it seems mean.

My Dad taught me to read before I went to preschool. Granted, I wasn't reading 'War and Peace', but I could pick out words that I knew. My kindergarten teacher actually yelled at me for knowing how, saying that I wasn't being fair to the other kids. eek Again, a case of the teacher making the difference.

(My first post as a new member!)  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:49 am
I was a bit of an odd case. I didn't read much at all until third grade (I think I could, I just didn't,) then my reading level shot up all of a sudden. I have of late fallen into the trap of thinking things that I know are commonly known. I watch the history channel a lot and soak up new vocabulary like a sponge, so some words have entered my vernacular that some of my friends don't know. The most recent example of this is defenestration, a word I am quite fond of.

Perhaps it is that both of my parents are intellectuals. Their influence most certainly had an impact on my mental development, and could have enhanced my openness to learning new things.  

Xillania

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces