Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
What A Goth Is And Is NOT....(Got this from a site) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artica_Maius-The_Fox_Born

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:54 am
[Reo]
this is bull you cant learn how to be goth
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel

pardon?...who said anything about learning?

this is just and article piece...not and opinion...i did not write this...says soo in the title...soo step off a bit there Cheif  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:25 pm
[Reo]
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel

Honestly, this is an article on opinion, and not fact. It is also not trying to teach anybody anything. Think of it as an interview between two people, and not a lesson. I also agree that you cannot teach someone to be goth. But so does the author. He states that it's something you are born with. If you had read the entire article, and not just skimmed through, you would know that... I am not trying to offend anyone, and if I do, I apologise, however, You really should try to fully understand what you are talking about before you make rude comments as you did.  

Argetlam13

Shirtless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:33 pm
Argetlam13
[Reo]
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel

Honestly, this is an article on opinion, and not fact. It is also not trying to teach anybody anything. Think of it as an interview between two people, and not a lesson. I also agree that you cannot teach someone to be goth. But so does the author. He states that it's something you are born with. If you had read the entire article, and not just skimmed through, you would know that... I am not trying to offend anyone, and if I do, I apologise, however, You really should try to fully understand what you are talking about before you make rude comments as you did.

Thank You...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:56 pm
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel
Argetlam13
[Reo]
Lucifer_The_Death_Angel

Thank You...

Any time...  

Argetlam13

Shirtless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200

Dirzdra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:50 pm
I agree with this, while some ideas are more vague than others, I do agree.

I'm going to show this to my older sister because yesterday we got into an argument on this subject somehow. I think she said something like I'm not depressed enough to be gothic. And than she started calling me emo. I have no idea where that came from at all. We basically argued about different kinds of stereotypes and all that. It was annoying, and she got lost in what I said.

Maybe this article will make it easier for her to understand.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:17 pm
Seems I Found Something Of Interest...^.^  

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 pm
Firstly I wish to commend Lucifer_The_Death_Angel on his ability to not only post decent points as well as place them in an unbiased elitist light but also form a truly contributing thread. Also I desire to commend both you and Argetlam13 for diffusing two antagonists without devolving into a flame war. I am honoured to share a guild with the likes of thee.

While I would keep my own opinions about the origins, cohesion, etc... of the subculture to myself I would like to point out to those new to the scene that small cliques of goths - one of the most famous being Lord Byron, Shelley, Claire Clairmont and Dr. Polidori - cropped up from time to time.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:05 pm
ceilisidhe
Firstly I wish to commend Lucifer_The_Death_Angel on his ability to not only post decent points as well as place them in an unbiased elitist light but also form a truly contributing thread. Also I desire to commend both you and Argetlam13 for diffusing two antagonists without devolving into a flame war. I am honoured to share a guild with the likes of thee.

While I would keep my own opinions about the origins, cohesion, etc... of the subculture to myself I would like to point out to those new to the scene that small cliques of goths - one of the most famous being Lord Byron, Shelley, Claire Clairmont and Dr. Polidori - cropped up from time to time.

I just like to keep discussion in a civilized, intelligent manner... Getting angry hurts people, and I believe it is pointless to a certain degree. Thank you for the compliments.  

Argetlam13

Shirtless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200

.Gothentic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:59 pm
1.You feel the need to spend a lot of time creating things (music, art, poetry, philosophies, stories and the like) (DEFINETELY CHECK CHECK CHECK!)

2.Your creative efforts are often described as dark, shocking, scary, morbid or strange (sometimes in art class)

3.You like museums and cultural centers (ummmmm.........i preffer surf the net to look for art that i like and then try to copy the style of drawing alot if that counts)

4.You understand and even enjoy Shakespeare, Shelley, Browning or some other similar work without having to read the Cliffe Notes (i've never tryed, rite now i'm reading the Davici Code tho! lol )

5.You know the difference between nihilism and existentialism, even if you don't really live by either (not check)

6.You really, truly enjoy music of many kinds (definetely check)

7.You are a very sensual person (aware of color, texture, sound, taste and scent) (check)

8.You don't understand why the people around you spend so much time watching TV (check, i only like to watch three shows a week, they coe on once a week for an hour during the school year whee )

9.You don't feel comfortable looking just like everyone else you know (check)

10.You do feel comfortable just being yourself, even if no one else around is anything like you (personality-wise, check)

11.You wonder "why" a lot, and come up with some interesting answers (check)

12.You wonder "how" a lot, and often figure it out on your own (ummmm..............i really dunno about that one, i'll think about it)

13.You don't just reject something because you don't understand it (check)

14.You base your opinions of people on who they are and what they do rather than what they look like (check)

15.You are not afraid of the unknown (DEFINETLY check)

16.You are not afraid of the dark (check)

17.You are afraid of mediocrity (dunno)

my score:

for sure checks: 11  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:55 pm
Argetlam13
ceilisidhe

I just like to keep discussion in a civilized, intelligent manner... Getting angry hurts people, and I believe it is pointless to a certain degree. Thank you for the compliments.

No Problem...Flame Wars are bad enough as is...we doth not need them here...The Compliments are nice...Thank You ^.^  

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:41 pm
anybody sick of defining goth yet?
A goth knows goth.
volia, i just compressed it.

Goth with a sledge hammer ^_^ heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:01 pm
Nyed
A goth knows goth.

There's a problem in that.

What if person who doesn't know what goth is thinks they themselves are a goth?

I remember the mallgoths of my highschool saying things like "I'm goth because I listen to Marilyn Manson," or "I'm a hardcore goth; I worship Satan and stuff."

By defining it from the third person (i.e. "Goth is _______" rather than "I am goth because ________"), and gaining the opinions of others, we're able to gain perspective on ourselves.  

GilAskan
Crew

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:55 am
It was very well put and brought light to some very stereotpical things.
And I learned a new word.(skin-goth)
Okay that sounded like sesame st.lol.
Still very good points though.Well done.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:32 am
GilAskan
Nyed
A goth knows goth.

There's a problem in that.

What if person who doesn't know what goth is thinks they themselves are a goth?

I remember the mallgoths of my highschool saying things like "I'm goth because I listen to Marilyn Manson," or "I'm a hardcore goth; I worship Satan and stuff."

By defining it from the third person (i.e. "Goth is _______" rather than "I am goth because ________"), and gaining the opinions of others, we're able to gain perspective on ourselves.

Then ive got a better question.

WHo cares?

Im not saying this to be immature. We just waste so much time defining something that doesnt really matter much anyways.
If your looking to gain innner knowalage or trying to define yourself from defining a group of people, youre heading down the wrong path. Try taking up a hobby.  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:33 am
.Gothentic.
1.You feel the need to spend a lot of time creating things (music, art, poetry, philosophies, stories and the like) (DEFINETELY CHECK CHECK CHECK!)

2.Your creative efforts are often described as dark, shocking, scary, morbid or strange (sometimes in art class)

3.You like museums and cultural centers (ummmmm.........i preffer surf the net to look for art that i like and then try to copy the style of drawing alot if that counts)

4.You understand and even enjoy Shakespeare, Shelley, Browning or some other similar work without having to read the Cliffe Notes (i've never tryed, rite now i'm reading the Davici Code tho! lol )

5.You know the difference between nihilism and existentialism, even if you don't really live by either (not check)

6.You really, truly enjoy music of many kinds (definetely check)

7.You are a very sensual person (aware of color, texture, sound, taste and scent) (check)

8.You don't understand why the people around you spend so much time watching TV (check, i only like to watch three shows a week, they coe on once a week for an hour during the school year whee )

9.You don't feel comfortable looking just like everyone else you know (check)

10.You do feel comfortable just being yourself, even if no one else around is anything like you (personality-wise, check)

11.You wonder "why" a lot, and come up with some interesting answers (check)

12.You wonder "how" a lot, and often figure it out on your own (ummmm..............i really dunno about that one, i'll think about it)

13.You don't just reject something because you don't understand it (check)

14.You base your opinions of people on who they are and what they do rather than what they look like (check)

15.You are not afraid of the unknown (DEFINETLY check)

16.You are not afraid of the dark (check)

17.You are afraid of mediocrity (dunno)

my score:

for sure checks: 11

"You understand and even enjoy Shakespeare, Shelley, Browning or some other similar work without having to read the Cliffe Notes (i've never tryed, rite now i'm reading the Davici Code tho! lol )" sometimes i don't really try to understand either, but i have the potential to if i did try. i read the davinci code in 2 in a half days. biggrin i really liked it and understood it , some people are disturbed on how quickly i read things and still understand them... xd  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff