Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Whats ur favorite brand of yarn or type? (Knit & Crochet) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats ur faved type of yarn for prodjects?
  worsted weight
  wool (or wool blends)
  alpaca (not sure I spelt that right)
  acrylic
  anything wierd and funky (hip notch)
  cashmiere
  rabbit fur yarn (forgot the name for rabbit yarn)
  micron fiber
View Results

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:34 pm
My favorite yarn is my own yarn!

Actually, I really can't say that because I've only ever made 2 skeins, and I haven't even knit anything with them yet. I don't have any other favorites yet. I can only really say what I don't like, and in most cases, I don't really like the cheap stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:53 pm
I generally have to stay away from wool yarns, which includes alpaca and mohair, due to an inherited allergy to wool. I work mostly with acrylic, and I'm a real cheapskate so most of my things are done with Red Heart, although I have recently become addicted to Caron Simply Soft, though im not sure how it will take to my beloved aran knitting.

I also generally refuse to work with anything smaller than light worsted weight. Takes too damn long, and is usually far more expensive.

(and the rabbit fiber is angora 3nodding 4laugh )  

gemini6184

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:18 am
My all time favorite is discontinued now crying It was Cottonease from Lion. It's very soft and has a tiny bit of a sheen to it once you knit it up (possibly because I'm frogging something else to make my current project sweatdrop ).  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:28 am
I'm alergic to both wool and nylon, so I have to be kind of picky about what yarn I use. I adore cotton, and anything soft. I can use acrylic (that's what I use the most), but I have to touch and feel it first to make sure it doesn't irriate my skin. I lvoe the angelhair yarn nthey have at JoAnn fabrics, and there's another kind (can't remember who makes it or what it's called) but the skanes look like cotton candy, and they're so soft!

I don't have any prefereance with weight...just texture and price. xd  

knitting_needle_ninja

drunken goddess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:39 pm
I like lion brand, and red heart is good too. I'm cheap, so i just use $1 lion brand baby stuff.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:39 pm
drunken goddess
I like lion brand, and red heart is good too. I'm cheap, so i just use $1 lion brand baby stuff.
Cheap yarn is awsome! I like to scour clearance bins. Nothing beats getting a spool of $5 silk yarn for $1.  

LadyAnubis

Umberella

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:33 am
My favorite yarn ever is Moda Dea Cache yarn in Siren. They sell it at Jo-anne's online. It is a funky yarn in beautiful sunset colors with some gold strings mixed in. I made the charm purse out of the first Stitch 'n' b***h book out of it and I love the stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:13 am
For Most projects I like Red Heart because it's really inexpensive, but I haven't found a brand that I like for clothes, Red Heart is just too scratchy. I want something softer. What do you guys suggest?  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

taligator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:00 pm
Well, you didn't list it .. but my favorite is straight cotton yarn. I use the Lily Sugar & Cream brand the most.

I enjoy working with it because it holds shape well and forces me to crochet nicely and I can't be sloppy with it. I especially enjoy doing tunisian with it and making washcloths or potholders.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:17 am
storyfromthestars
For Most projects I like Red Heart because it's really inexpensive, but I haven't found a brand that I like for clothes, Red Heart is just too scratchy. I want something softer. What do you guys suggest?
Lion has some really good yarns for stuff like that. Homespun is very soft. They have some nice wools, though in my experiance places like JoAnn don't offer a very wide variety of wool yarns or colors. Microspun is very nice, but it can be difficult to work with. It's very soft, though.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:31 am
storyfromthestars
What you'd want to do is soak your item in a sink full of water and add 2-3 caps full of fabric softener. You'll only need to do this once, but it will soften the Red Heart stuff up really nice. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:47 pm
My favorite yarn to crochet with is Lion Brand Homespun because it's so soft and rather inexpensive.
For pot holders and other things that need to keep their shape and won't be against skin I like Red Heart. It's too scratchy for wearables though.
One day I plan to use more wool and other natural fibers, but at the moment they don't fit into the budget too often.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:44 pm
my mom and dad just came back froma trip they took the the 2 of them...and they went to an alpacka farm..... and they got me a 30 dollar ball of yarn. gonk they must be crazy...do you know how much yarn or fabric I can get for 30 bucks!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:06 pm
Lee Kushrenada
my mom and dad just came back froma trip they took the the 2 of them...and they went to an alpacka farm..... and they got me a 30 dollar ball of yarn. gonk they must be crazy...do you know how much yarn or fabric I can get for 30 bucks!
eek omg. that is such an awesome present. what you need to do is save that ball until you find the perfect pattern for it. depending on how big the ball is, you could make a scarf out of it, and it would be so warm!  

gemini6184

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:08 pm
Why does everyone keep saying Red Heart is too scratchy? gonk I have four sweaters made out of it! Sure its scratchier than the one I made out of caron's simply soft, but cables hold their shape so well in it, and after a few washings you really dont feel the scratchies anymore.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff