Join
  Yes.
  NO DON'T GO!!!!
  Research more
View Results

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:44 am
Joining the armed forces is largely a matter of personal goals. If you're undecided about what you want to do with your future, joining the armed forces is a great way to give yourself perspective.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:54 pm
Don't go! You'll turn evil! Really, my dad was in the army & is now self-centered masochist.  

turntechKilljoy

4,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:19 pm
Jupiterkitsune
Don't go! You'll turn evil! Really, my dad was in the army & is now self-centered masochist.

Actually, I know a lot of people in the Army, and even a Seargant from the Rangers, and he is one of the coolest, and nicest people I know.

It all depends on the person.

But, trust me people, I am not jumping right in. I'm taking my time about this.
In all honesty though, I don't view me joining as like, me saying I completely agree with every single thing my country says or does. That is wrong, very wrong.
I disagree with a lot of what the U.S. does and even says.
But, I view joining the Armed Forces as a way of protecting what is ours, what we have, and what a lot of people take forgranted. Not as me bowing to the whim of Uncle Sam. I would be getting to have fun, get some nice training, play with big toys, get paid, and then retire.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:17 pm
Jupiterkitsune

Sometime's war and the army will change people like that. Theyve seen things we can only imagine  

r a i n- C R U S H E D

Magnetic Werewolf

Fux this account

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:31 pm
....being the govenment's b***h isn't goiing to help you in anything...I kill if I want to...not just because some 40+ year old guys get into an arguement and can't understand each other because they're from different countries.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:18 pm
I don't know why all of you are so "down" on the military. If not for them we'd be in a pretty terrible state right now. What jobs they do are of the utmost importance in, well, keeping us alive.
Becasue regaurdless of if you agree with our government or not on a lot of issues, there are lots and lots of angry people out there that would love nothing more than to see everything you know and love destroyed simply because you're not like them.
I don't mean to sound like a doomsday prophet or anything, but the simple truth is, if we didn't have such a great military, and if we didn't have people who are willing to join that military in order to defend their country, a lot of us would most likely not be alive today.

Secondly, there is no massive "brain washing" of our troops going on. My brother went through basic about a year-and-a-half ago. He told me plenty of stories about plenty of things that he was taught and experienced, and none of them involved any form of real brainwashing.
Of course they condition you to do your job through training, but none of it "desensitizes" you or makes you "less human" than watching the newest action flick at the movies.

That being said, it's still a very big step. Joining has many benefits, and also many risks. You personally have to evaluate each and see if, for you, the benefits outweigh the risks.

Personally, I probably won't join. Not becasue of the killing, or me not liking our government or anything, but for two other reasons.
A. I can't stand all the beuracracy in the military. There should be much more freedom for the soldiers to actually do their jobs without wading through red tape.
B. I've got other plans for my life that, if brought to fruition, will be of incalcuable value to our country, as well as the rest of the world.

In life, you've got two options. Server yourself, or serve others. Help yourself, or help others. Selfishness, or selflesness. Granted, there is always a mix of these two, but you'll always either be more one, or more the others. Personally, the selfless people I've met are always happier in the end than the selfish.  

DieiNoctis

Drifter_Xwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:15 pm
well a pro would be seing the world the con to that would be being shot at where your stationed  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:44 pm
Drifter_Xwolf
well a pro would be seing the world the con to that would be being shot at where your stationed

Haha, that is very true.

But, hey.
Funny thing is:
Life goal # 10: Get shot

biggrin  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

Drakul13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:07 am
I'd say, it depends... *laughs* I'm sure that's very specific but let me explain. First of all, I'm a 21B (Combat Engineer, basically Infantry with Demo) in the US Military, finished Basic not more than 3-4 months ago and am currently in a Unit that is reactivating...

In response to "lurichan"s statement that "They literally have to brain wash the humanity out of people so that they will kill for their country." that's false, sorry. I will admit that my friends call me a Sociopath (although one they trust, dont ask me how that works) but that was before I went in the military, lol, and that it is largely true. But I've watched other people, and yes they train you to kill. Becuase that is your job, to go into a warzone and defend your self. Be it to protect people that can't protect them selfs so for some odd reason our governent interfers, or what ever else. And yes, you will change through out Basic and AIT, but that's natural. However they will not "brain was the humanity out of you".

Any way's, should you join? That depends, do you have any alternatives?College? A decent job, what ever. Any thing else? If so, I'd say take it. Espically College, you can always come in later, and some civi education will help a lot. If you have enough college under your belt you can go directly to OCS if you want (if you can get your recuiter to get you there...) or you can come in as a E4 (more money, less details, but more responsiblity). And college gives promotion points for when you wana (if you want to) try for your E5.

To be honest, I joined becuase I had no were else to go at the time, but I wouldn't change my choice. I am currently enjoying the Army and will see how I perform on my first deployment when ever it happens.

If you want to join, there are much, much worse paths to take. But if you dont want to, than dont. And if you have some way to get at least a couple years of college in, I would highly recomend doing that first.

P.S The Army Rangers is hard to do, but possible, just remember. If you want to be in a Ranger Battatlion you have to be 11B (Infantry) that is Ranger qualified (if I remember correctly, could be wrong). But you can accually go through the training as any thing. Delta Force, from what I have been told, is almost impossible to get into. Basically if you want to be a D boy, your almost going to have to be Career, 20yrs or better.
P.P.S If you wana be in some thing like Rangers, think about being a Sapper. Go 21B (Infantry with Demo, AKA Combat Engineer) . Than go through Sapper training (Basically same thing as Ranger training, but it includes Explosives and if you go through Sapper, you can go to Ranger school with out have to go through the selection process, Hell Week n such). That would be a great start to go SF... If you want any more info feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what I can, if I dont know, I'll find out.. Oh ya, and never, ever, ever trust your Recruiter. And make sure that everything you want is written out in your Contract, not a word promise. Not written out? Sorry, you dont get it, no matter what your Recruiter says.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 am
joining the military is signing your own death warrant. not even for any real cause either. especially there in the US. alot of you will probably hate me for saying this, but everyone in the military these days is dying for nothing. america IS the terrorist country in the world. you invadfe countries simply because they have military capabilities whihc may approach your own. somehow, if the US has stockpiles upon stockpiles of nuclear warheads(indeed enough todestroy the world several times), it's perfectly alright, but if someone else has one nuke or maybe 10 or so, they're percieved as a threat. it's ******** idiocy.  

DR490N

fallenangel704

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:59 am
When I first saw this I was like NOOO!!! DON'T GOOOO!!!! but that's my opinon. But....

I KNOW what I'm talking about. In high school I was in MC JROTC. they basicly prepare you for the military & then I joined the Army but didn't do Basic 'cause I failed the heath tests, (I have breathing problems) there's like a zillion! They check your piss (drug test), your blood (AIDS test), bg check & everything, I mean EVRYTHING!!!

I blame them for losing most of my sanity, (or maybe it was because it the "Marine Corps" JROTC) but then again i did become stronger mentaly & I have a six pack 3nodding I can shoot varies kinds of weapons, I rode a tank blaugh & been in those huge helicopter the president rides in & there is no way on earth I can get lost anywhere (mental maps they drilled into my head)

Anyway, there's good things & bad things about it. If you join, prepare your self, your body & mind. Be ready for anything. & don't be surprised by Anything they do. It's hard work & they don't play around. So yeah, it's your choice, but remember THE MILITARY IS NOT FOR THE WEAK!! Many of my high school friends are dead from the recent war thing, yeah...

oh if your looking for money for college, i say join the NATIONAL GUARD, they give out the most money for that.

P.S. They know where I live!! O_o How do they know, I didn't tell them I moved!!! O__O  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:09 am
Jupiterkitsune

Really? the Army? The most psycho military men I've seen are from the Marine Corps. But you can't take away their pride away since they're the first ones into battle. I do believe I am slightly psycho from what ppl told me. my mom says I changed from before I joined. other ppl say that too. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing though. confused  

fallenangel704

DieiNoctis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:24 am
DR490N
joining the military is signing your own death warrant. not even for any real cause either. especially there in the US. alot of you will probably hate me for saying this, but everyone in the military these days is dying for nothing. america IS the terrorist country in the world. you invadfe countries simply because they have military capabilities whihc may approach your own. somehow, if the US has stockpiles upon stockpiles of nuclear warheads(indeed enough todestroy the world several times), it's perfectly alright, but if someone else has one nuke or maybe 10 or so, they're percieved as a threat. it's ******** idiocy.

I would have to completly diagree with this based purely on logic.
There is a chance that you might die, yes. But there's a chance you might die from riding your bike.
If you sign up for frontline duty, there's a higher fatality rate. But if you're a desk jocky, you're pretty safe.

As far as the "America being the terrorist country", this is also false.
The only countries we have invaded we had just cause to invade. We have always opperated by the rules of war, whereas terriorist simply attack at random.
And there is also just reason to keep other countried from acheiving nucular capabilities. The only countries we attempt to stop from gaining nukes are those that we have reason to beleive mean us harm.
There are five nuclear powers in the world. These include the U.S., Russia, The U.K., France, and China.
All of these countries, while they may not be the best of friends, have signed treaties with us.
Also, to be calling us the big bad nuclear power is false. Russia has 20 thousand nuclear weapons on record. Nearly double the ammount that the U.S. has. If you want a tree to bark up, you've picked the wrong one.
Hell, we haven't been the nuclear superpower since '77.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:21 pm
Well I may love swords and sniper rifles, but that doesn't mean I'm going to join the military. In spite of what I enjoy, I'm actually a huge pacifist, killing is against my personal beliefs, and I don't really support 99% of the wars that have gone on or are currently going on.  

Ndoki

[Fraggle]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:37 pm
BabyEaterLad
I've got a history of military in my family. Cousins, uncles and my sister. :3 My sister, however, got "kicked out" of the Air Force because of her eyesight. (She wanted to be a pilot)

If you plan on joining ever, air force is the way to go. It's pretty cushy as my dad says. XD

Untill you 'fall' out of a plane at 30,000 feet.

Splat.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces