Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x0DarkTiger0x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:02 pm
I thought this was interesting....

Quote:
Exploring the Goddess Isis

The Egyptian goddess Isis is one of the goddesses that stood the test of time. Isis is the Greek form of more ancient Egyptian names, and the name Isis is associated with the word for "throne." Originally, Isis was known as Aset, or Eset. Isis is worshipped today, just as she has been for thousands of years, as the Lady of Heaven, The Great Enchantress, Goddess of Magic, The Goddess of Love and War, the Giver of Life, Queen of the Gods, and Goddess of Marriage and Protection.

Isis was able to give the gift of immortality. For this reason, she is often portrayed wearing or carrying an Ankh. The Ankh is an ancient symbol for eternal life. The symbol is similar to that of a cross, but it has a looped top. Isis is sometimes seen wearing horns and a solar disk atop her head. She is sometimes pictured with wings. Isis is occasionally shown with a cow's head or with the sign of a throne on her head.

Isis is one of the only winged deities in Egyptian myth. She is sometimes representative of the wind, as in the legend of Osiris. One version of the legend tells of Isis using her wings to fill Osiris' mouth and nose with air. For those people who recognize Isis as a force at work in their life; the wind takes on a magical face. The simple act of walking outside on a windy day brings about a refreshing of the soul.

Isis is viewed as the protector and patron of women. Isis guided women in childbirth, marriage, and in the loss of loved ones. She has the qualities that endear her to women of all ages. Isis is full of compassion, tenderness, love and devotion. Isis is the Great Mother Goddess.

As a divine healer, Isis shared the secrets of healing and preparation of medical potions to her priestesses. Isis is also credited for bringing us the secrets of law and agriculture. If you ask anyone that esteems Isis to the role of goddess in this present age; you will surely hear them proclaim that Isis holds life in here hands. Isis, with her ability to breathe life into something once dead, is worshipped today as she has for centuries.

There are ways to bring the goddess Isis into everyday life. Her colors are white, gold, and cobalt blue. Many view these as the colors of royalty and comfort. The gems and stones equated with Isis are pearl, coral, lapis, geodes, and moonstone. Wearing jewelry with these stones embedded is just one way to bring the goddess near. Fragrances of the goddess are myrrh, rose, iris, and eucalyptus. Candles and essential oils are useful in bringing the fragrance of Isis into the home.

Isis is the Mistress of all elements, and she is a powerful wind that blows constant. Isis is the ‘Goddess of Countless Names,’ and she will continue to make her presence known.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:00 am
So much to learn!

Edit:
That thing about the wind is very true for me; it's one thing that I connect with fully and have all my life.  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:16 am
Just a warning though, that site isn't very accurate. Isis wasn't the only Goddess from the Egyptian pantheon to be displayed with wings; Ma'at also was often shown with them. The ankh as well is not just rhe symbol of Eternal Life. In fact, as we have so little about the Egyptians, we're really not very sure what the true meaning is.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:27 pm
Wasn't the anhk just the symbol of life?And joined with the snake, it became eternal life? (Or, one of the possible meanings...)  

Esteloth

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:05 pm
Isis is one of the only winged deities in Egyptian myth. they arnt saying she is the only one but one of the few.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:31 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
Just a warning though, that site isn't very accurate. Isis wasn't the only Goddess from the Egyptian pantheon to be displayed with wings; Ma'at also was often shown with them. The ankh as well is not just rhe symbol of Eternal Life. In fact, as we have so little about the Egyptians, we're really not very sure what the true meaning is.

The ankh, I think, is the combination of the circle which represents the female the line which represents the make and the scroll of wisdom which represents well knowledge obviously.
Of course I can't be sure. Weben would know I should think.  

Goddess Hekate
Crew

x0DarkTiger0x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Nihilistic Seraph

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't know HOW accurate the info was. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:36 pm
Goddess Hekate
Nihilistic Seraph

The ankh, I think, is the combination of the circle which represents the female the line which represents the make and the scroll of wisdom which represents well knowledge obviously.
Of course I can't be sure. Weben would know I should think.
Only it's generally not a circle, but rather an oval-ish thing. There are many guessing, but no real info to back it up.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

[Life is a Glitch]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:38 am
I'm glad for you, that you have found your patron Goddess! I have not yet found mine, and I don't know if I ever will. However, this is beside the point.

The Egyptian religion always confused me. It seemed to have many different beginning stories, frequently changing the purposes of it's Dieties. It also seemed very "Egypt-based". If I recall correctly, the creation story only mentions the creation of Egypt and not any other county, this I always found odd.

But, to each your own. I wish you happiness in what you do!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:09 am
the egyptan religion isnt my religion. Though it always has interested me but not on a spiritual basis. Shes the goddess who reached out to me and i accepted. I will incorpoate any traditional egyption ceromonies (im a horrible speller keep in mind) i can find relating to her to the best of my ablititys though.  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:44 am
mouseyanna
(im a horrible speller keep in mind)
In a pagan guild like this, that's just a bad joke waiting to happen. >_<  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
mouseyanna
(im a horrible speller keep in mind)
In a pagan guild like this, that's just a bad joke waiting to happen. >_<
oh ho ho ho ho i like bad jokes ^_^ im suprised you didnt jump at the chance!  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm
oh and does anyone ever look at the spam thread i have something posted there that i would actualy like a discussion about but it wasnt related to religion atleast i dont think it is so i posted it there and its just been sitting there with no posts. Along with a few other threads that look like they should need attention.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:16 am
mouseyanna
oh and does anyone ever look at the spam thread i have something posted there that i would actualy like a discussion about but it wasnt related to religion atleast i dont think it is so i posted it there and its just been sitting there with no posts. Along with a few other threads that look like they should need attention.
It has been moved to the proper subforum, The Owl's Roost, and will be addressed. wink  

Jameta
Captain

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas