Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Hate slang? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beeing Literate
  The Tv of course.
  Other people.
  beeing lazy.
  I dont know about you but i like slang.
View Results

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:40 pm
I think this goes without saying, but let's keep the "personal slang" to a bare minimum in the main forum. Thanks.

becos' - because  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:14 pm
I am actually fairly afraid of people who use slang, or "pidgin" english... I suppose it is because of the fact that, unless proven otherwise, i equate slang with stupidity, and am scared of stupid people, having been harassed as a kid by them. I don't know... That's not without saying that people who use slang aren't intelligent... I know a lot of intelligent people who use their little slang terms... Just, on the whole, I don't like it.  

[yin~yang]

Red-Chocolate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:46 pm
My dad always says one thou, instead of one thousand. It drives me crazy! It's just one more syllable! scream  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:57 pm
iFreak
Someone actually understands how I feel about correct grammar. I don't mind it too much. When it is overly used, that is what upsets me. I hate it.

I agree. I use certain slang terms at times, but never a lot.

I use slang in massive amounts to make my friend laugh. We make fun of it all the time.  

pythonesque

Kawaii Fatcat

Sheep Kitchen

Wheezing Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:22 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Dont Don't, Its It's, stupide stupid, Were Where

I think some slang is fine and indeed part of speech. However, slang should never outweigh classical speech, as this leads to dumbing down.

Dumbing down? I think it's a little late for that, but I agree.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:24 am
I don't know. I think some slang is ok. I don't mind "yo" or "dude" at all.  

The Jesus Bot

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:11 am
becca3567
Don't you just hate slang? Its every where. Why is it so hard to put a couple more letters to make a real word? You just look stupid. For example : "YOO"
When you could add two letters to make "hello" Or "was up" When you could be literate and say "how are you" Where do you think most people are learning this?

One would not be so quick to point out another's faults if she had none of her own.

I guess what I am saying is that your own grammar and spelling could use some work before you start dissing (SLANG!) others for being lazy. Not only that, but what you are describing is not exactly slang. It's text talk.

I'm not trying to be critical because I realize that I have room for improvement myself, but I do think you need to put a little more effort into your own typing. I didn't even really understand what you were trying to say. I choose slang over repeated grammatical and spelling errors any day.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:19 pm
If slang is used to constuct a whole sentence than it can be rather annoying to read sometimes, especially if the person is also using '1337' or 'txt tlk'.

I don't like slang very much, especially if it is used by literate persons in, say, books or movies.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:58 pm
Small amounts of slang are fine with me.
For example, I actually do say "yo" (often when answering the phone or when someone says my name to get my attention) or "dude." I say "dude" a lot of the time, really.
However, I'm not exactly one to fill my speech with nothing but but slang, and it's not hurting my grammar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:31 pm
I don't mind slang used a bit, as it's fun to mess around with, but when someone constructs a sentence full of it and they're in a serious mood, it's ridiculous.  

Whoremone

Fintastic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:41 am
Sigh. I never really like using slang. I don't know why.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:32 pm
By the way, "being" is spelled incorrectly on that poll if you havent noticed yet.  

Dulak

Noob

Caleb Hellforge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:35 pm
I live in an area where slang is rampant amongst the streets. I'm used to it.

Even then, it gets very bothersome when too much of it is used.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:33 pm
Merriam Webster
Main Entry: slang
Pronunciation: 'sla[ng]
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : language peculiar to a particular group: as a : ARGOT b : JARGON 2
2 : an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages, arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious figures of speech

I'm fine with slang when it's taken in the sense of definition number 1. Biologists, mathematicians, philosophers, doctors, and pretty much any occupation or hobby is going to have it's own kind of slang and that slang has usually come about to allow for clear, concise and rapid communication between two people familiar with the thing being spoken about. For the ultimate example of this look at the slang of fry cooks, there you can take whole meal orders and shorten them to a few words - this type of slang is highly useful and effective and I don't see why it shouldn't be used. However, the thing about this type of slang is that it does tend to be standardized. Of course there are some exceptions, but in general people using these kinds of slang can get together, even from different continents, and be understood by one another because the slang they use is common.

On the other hand, when slang is nonstandard and arbitrary then I tend not to like it because it stops being an aid to communication. If any conversation involving slang consists of more clarification than conversation then your slang is not really doing what you want it to be doing and you'd be better off using standard, formal speech.  

[Mammon]

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:20 pm
I use 'YO' to bug my friends, and because I'm weird like that.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff