Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weekly show and tell for 8/20 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold?
gold.
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 8

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:21 pm
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
Gemini, those are so cute!
Thanks! I want to make more, cuz I think they are just adorable, but my arthritis gonk
I know what you mean. I crochet anime plushes, but I've only made two because my carple tunnel is so bad.
I think I'm going to try some joint medicine my boyfriend has. I think those plushies would be a huge hit at the craft fair we're doing next summer, but I'd have to make my own pattern sweatdrop the author wrote specifically that products made with her pattern cant be sold
Making your own pattern isn't hard. I can't read standard patterns (abbreviations can DIE), so everything I make is free form. I'm working on a sweater right now, and all my plushes, cosplay stuff, etc, is just made by looking at existing pieces and the shapes they are made from.
I can make my own, I've just never done a plushie pattern before. I'll prolly use that one as a reference. As for reading standard patterns, it took me all of an hour to figure them out. knitting.about.com has a glossary that tells you what the abbreviations mean and links for instructions (even some animations!) on how to do most every one. It took me bout an hour maybe two just surfing through there, and it makes a great reference page. If my net was working better I would post the link but I don't trust the school network right now sweatdrop

I'll check that out. I'm so used to making my patterns now, though, that unless it's something complex (socks or gloves for example, or certain necklines) I can figure out how to make it just by looking. I've actually scared a few people because I was standing behind them in line, hovering, trying to figure out the construction of their sweaters. sweatdrop redface  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 am
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
I know what you mean. I crochet anime plushes, but I've only made two because my carple tunnel is so bad.
I think I'm going to try some joint medicine my boyfriend has. I think those plushies would be a huge hit at the craft fair we're doing next summer, but I'd have to make my own pattern sweatdrop the author wrote specifically that products made with her pattern cant be sold
Making your own pattern isn't hard. I can't read standard patterns (abbreviations can DIE), so everything I make is free form. I'm working on a sweater right now, and all my plushes, cosplay stuff, etc, is just made by looking at existing pieces and the shapes they are made from.
I can make my own, I've just never done a plushie pattern before. I'll prolly use that one as a reference. As for reading standard patterns, it took me all of an hour to figure them out. knitting.about.com has a glossary that tells you what the abbreviations mean and links for instructions (even some animations!) on how to do most every one. It took me bout an hour maybe two just surfing through there, and it makes a great reference page. If my net was working better I would post the link but I don't trust the school network right now sweatdrop

I'll check that out. I'm so used to making my patterns now, though, that unless it's something complex (socks or gloves for example, or certain necklines) I can figure out how to make it just by looking. I've actually scared a few people because I was standing behind them in line, hovering, trying to figure out the construction of their sweaters. sweatdrop redface
SO have totally done that rofl  

gemini6184

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 pm
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis

I only did that when I made my mittens. I followed the instructions only on how to make the thumb hole, but other than that, I just made up my own mitten pattern as I knitted it.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:01 am
Peppermint Elf
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis

I only did that when I made my mittens. I followed the instructions only on how to make the thumb hole, but other than that, I just made up my own mitten pattern as I knitted it.
Mittens, gloves, socks, and certain necklines are about the only reason I can think of for needing a pattern. I mean, if you know how to knit, purl, increase, decrease, and maybe a couple kinds of pattern stitches or cabling, you can knit almost anything. *shrug* maybe it's just my arts background, but I can usually figure out how most knits are made just by looking at them, and what I can't figure out by looking I usually make up with pretty good results. The exception being the damn gussets... stare  

LadyAnubis

gemini6184

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:22 am
LadyAnubis
Peppermint Elf
gemini6184
LadyAnubis
gemini6184
LadyAnubis

Mittens, gloves, socks, and certain necklines are about the only reason I can think of for needing a pattern. I mean, if you know how to knit, purl, increase, decrease, and maybe a couple kinds of pattern stitches or cabling, you can knit almost anything. *shrug* maybe it's just my arts background, but I can usually figure out how most knits are made just by looking at them, and what I can't figure out by looking I usually make up with pretty good results. The exception being the damn gussets... stare
I have an art background myself, but i still find it necessary to write things down even if im just wingin' it  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:24 am
*Is very excited* I only have six inches of a sleeve left to go, and I'll be done with my first sweater. whee heart heart heart  

LadyAnubis

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:30 pm
LadyAnubis
*Is very excited* I only have six inches of a sleeve left to go, and I'll be done with my first sweater. whee heart heart heart
YAY! If you need any finishing tips, just pm me. And I hope it turns out right!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff