The Garb Thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you sew your own garb?
  Yes! And I love it!
  No! Needles make me bleed!
  Of course! I hand sew it, with period materials.
  I'd go naked if they'd still let me fight!
View Results

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:24 pm
Kittywitch
And on an unrelated note-- I'm a major sicko.

I made my newbie friend a pair of anglo-saxon tunics in black linen, and one of them is completely covered in white runes. Twice around the hem and cuffs, and down each arm. The collar is bound in white. The runes read as the lyrics to the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.

He doesn't read runes, and has no idea what it says. whee

Got a picture mayhaps? biggrin heart  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:01 am
Naito_Mitsukai
Kittywitch

I made my newbie friend a pair of anglo-saxon tunics in black linen, and one of them is completely covered in white runes. Twice around the hem and cuffs, and down each arm. The collar is bound in white. The runes read as the lyrics to the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.

I really wanted to get a picture of it, but the minute I finished it, he put it on. No idea what it says, but thinks it's awesome, because it's his first piece of real garb. I'm going to try and get a picture of him in it next time I see him.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:02 pm
Kittywitch
[ What? Polyester brocade? xp I'm really suprised you can't find anything else... that's kind of weird... I'm way not helpful, sorry. I'd suggest a few places to look for silk brocaide... but you aren't in my area, and like you said, money's an issue. Hm. Wait- if you had a nice cotton underdress, maybe you could use a polysester for the kirtle.

I live in a very remote part of Calontir. The closest fabric store is literally 45 minutes away, and I don't drive. For me, it would be best for me to order fabric (the town's fabric store is Walmart, which is great for Italian Ren and other "mainstream" personas, but based on the colouration I'm wanting to go with (differing shades of blue were considered "matching" in 6th century Constantinople), the one puke yellow bolt of brocade isn't going to work.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:00 am
::Edit::

I turned this post into a topic of it's own instead of this huge off-topic-ish post!! xd  

Naito_Mitsukai

ShadowDruid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:40 am
This is going to sound weird, but, go to ebay, to buy fabrics you want.
They are normal, especially silks & brocades, cheaper, than in a store,
and, if you can't get to a store, you can borrow a computer and get on
ebay!! Or, just do a search online, it takes abit of looking, BUT, you
can found what you want. I got, for example, 6 yards of raw silk,
for $20 for the material and $6 for s&h. You can't find prices like that
in a store or find out if fabric stores close by will do mail order,
or if you have a thrift store, check out curtains, bedspreads, ect.
Good Luck!!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:14 am
Mum makes just about all of my garb, though at some point soon I'm going to be making a mannequin-type thing of myself using ductape and t-shirts that are too big for me, and hopefully I'll be able to make a halfway decent set of garb.

And my mother still owes me a cloak from when I was 7 years old. crying
I'm 15 now.

edited because I somehow spelled "ductape" as "Custpae"  

Moomintroll

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 pm
Moomintroll
Mum makes just about all of my garb, though at some point soon I'm going to be making a mannequin-type thing of myself using ductape and t-shirts that are too big for me, and hopefully I'll be able to make a halfway decent set of garb.

And my mother still owes me a cloak from when I was 7 years old. crying
I'm 15 now.

edited because I somehow spelled "ductape" as "Custpae"
I can understand the difficultcy of sewing without a form if you're a draper, but if you're sewing for yourself, why not just take your own measurements, using existing garments for the basc design.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:52 am
My boyfriend made my first set of garb for my Christmas present last year-- a really nice green dress with a white chemise and tan velvety (detachable! heart ) sleeves.

User Image

God, my hair was short back then. . . *cough* Anywho. . . this picture was taken when he finally finished it-- at 3 in the friggin' morning. xp

In addition, I (with help from some very knowledgeable ladies: Sasha Grey and our Baroness, Tatyana) made my first wearable item ever-- a gorgeous green doublet with a faint ivy-like pattern. I'm so proud of me. whee

The thing I remember most about making it was everyone cracking up about how amazingly tiny I am-- the fabric for the body of my doublet was the same size as our friend Ivan's sleeve fabric. xd

I'll post pictures of the doublet when I actually get them (we took some with a manual camera at Pennsic; if I can get to a scanner, I'll upload 'em).

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:51 am
Well, I said I'd post this somewhere, and decided this thread! heart

These are my two outfits I wore to Yule feast,
The first is my every-day Garb (I didn't want to get my new feast garb dirty, so I didn't change until about 5min. before the feast! rofl )
User Image

And the second is my Feast garb! heart
User Image

And THIS is the garb I gave my friend as an early christmas present xd
She's SOOOOO lucky she told me BEFORE I went to vancouver she wanted a black chemice and a blue skirt - and that I'd seen her black and gold corset!! stare Otherwise that material for the skirt would be MINE!!

I walked into a fabric store and found it INSTANTLY! and it was on sale .... but there was ONLY enough for 1 skirt .... with the tiniest bit left over - and we bought all that was left on the bolt! crying *sigh* I wanted that material SOOOO badly!! it was on sale too!! crying crying

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:10 pm
Pictures of three of my friends and I in full garb. All in garb period to 1572 England.

User Image

We are cast for a historical ren faire. The guy plays the Duke D'Alascon, heir to the throne of france. The ladies are, from left to rigt, Lady Catherine Dudley, daughter of the Earl and Countess of Warwick (shes not historical, but shes an awesome character for our faire), Lady Mary Fitton, and Lady Elizabeth Throckmorton.  

Silver Mist

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm
Which one's you? biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:52 pm
Green and gold. ^^ First full on peice of garb I ever made was the corset for that dress..... what a way to start. xd The woman in the red velvet taught me. The other two had their garb made by ever so loving mothers.  

Silver Mist

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:00 am
Naito_Mitsukai
Kittywitch

Yes, I do. Finally.
User Image
This was taken yesterday at Birka, where I got some farbic to make their pants. Let me rephrase that. I got about four yards of very nice medium weight wool for fourteen dollars.

He still doesn't know what it says.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:45 pm
Kittywitch
Naito_Mitsukai
Kittywitch

Yes, I do. Finally.
User Image
This was taken yesterday at Birka, where I got some farbic to make their pants. Let me rephrase that. I got about four yards of very nice medium weight wool for fourteen dollars.

He still doesn't know what it says.

*giggles* do any Norskys every snicker at him at events?? Or do the Norskys you know just do it as a persona and not a lifestyle as well (the Norskys I know are Norse in and out of the SCA so they know how to read runes)  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 pm
I'm now really glad I didn't go to Birka. I would've spent all day laughing everytime I seen the guy. *laughs* Nothing worse then trying to explain to someone he has lyrics on his clothing.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff