Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
New Spelling for the US? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So if we were to change the United State's primary langage all together, what should we chage it to?
  Japanese
  Latin
  What does this have to do with anything?
View Results

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:26 am
The_Wrench_Ninja
First off, every post I've read, against changing the language, uses the argument "It's fine the way it's always been."

I didn't say that, and yet my post (directly above yours, in fact) was against changing it just the same. I said that after learning the language for twnty years, as I have been - being born an English Canadian citizen in 1986 and all - that the "simplified" way would actually be more difficult for me. Tell me how that's not the truth. Sure, to people who do have difficulty it may be easier... or to people who are brought up with a new system. But, to those of us who know the current way, the change would throw us off. Yes? Yes.

A language changing over time is one thing, but a drastic change to make it easier (?) will confuse more people than it will help.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:48 pm
I like grammar to be hard. Otherwise, where would we get our fun from correcting others?  

Red-Chocolate

King Kento

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:43 pm
snazy-a-tastic
The_Wrench_Ninja
First off, every post I've read, against changing the language, uses the argument "It's fine the way it's always been."

I didn't say that, and yet my post (directly above yours, in fact) was against changing it just the same. I said that after learning the language for twnty years, as I have been - being born an English Canadian citizen in 1986 and all - that the "simplified" way would actually be more difficult for me. Tell me how that's not the truth. Sure, to people who do have difficulty it may be easier... or to people who are brought up with a new system. But, to those of us who know the current way, the change would throw us off. Yes? Yes.

A language changing over time is one thing, but a drastic change to make it easier (?) will confuse more people than it will help.

Thats one issue with the article, i dont think there was much given on a time frame.

Either way its selfish though to say because itd be hard on you (though i think you said only a drastic change) that it shouldnt be done. It would be easier on foreigners as well. Its not like it wouldnt help for more poeple to know english.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:55 pm
Ok. That would just be rediculous to do that. It was hard reading that. The only part I ped through was the quote form the guy who was against it. Writting out the full word and sound of it is much easier to read and write.  

farfromsight06

Fashionable Hunter

5,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

Lissiwen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:57 pm
Red-Chocolate
I like grammar to be hard. Otherwise, where would we get our fun from correcting others?

That one is going in my quote book.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:53 pm
I like the way English is.

Is the correlation between spelling out the words and sounding them out logical?

NO!

You know why? It's largely due to the fact that English is vibrant and thriving. Many different people from different cultural backgrounds are constantly learning it, using it and modifying it. I would hazard a guess that there are words from nearly every other major language hidden somewhere within ours. That's what makes it fun. It's like a history and a cultural lesson all wrapped up into daily speaking and writing.

Why do we say lasagna with a "z" sound and tortilla with a "yuh" sound? You answer: because they're words from Italian and Spanish, duh! In Italian or Spanish those constructions are logical and they carried over to English. Sure, we say the words with an English accent, but who cares? These words are carrying their history with them, just like people with the last name of Miller who's family used to all be millers.

Sure, we could standardize everything, but that would take all of the fun out of it. Don't you like coming across a word and going "What the. . . ? What were they thinking!" and then finding out later the logic behind the evolution of that particular word and suddenly appreciating it much more?

For those that ARE interested in such things, I highly recommend the AWAD (a word a day) mailing list.

For those that aren't; well, you're welcome to your opinion, too.  

Alexa488

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:03 pm
I am all for spelling reform [seriously, it's ridiculous the number of ways "ough" can be pronounced]... but people go about it entirely the wrong way.

They make ugly word forms which don't even mesh with more or less standard international pronunciations.

What we need to do is adopt some more character symbols [bring back thorn and edh!] and standardize vowel sound formations. If I were hardcore, I'd suggest having to learn the IPA, but that's a bit extreme.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:28 pm
Riyuu-Rae
I don't have to read this entire article to realize myself that this is a retarded idea.

Quote for truth.

What about the multi millions (billions?) of people who already know English. How about we just tell them that everything they've learned about the language, up to this point in time, was wrong.

Hell no, this is a horrible idea.

Whoremone

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:06 pm
Whoremone
Riyuu-Rae
I don't have to read this entire article to realize myself that this is a retarded idea.

Quote for truth.

What about the multi millions (billions?) of people who already know English. How about we just tell them that everything they've learned about the language, up to this point in time, was wrong.

Of course, because language transitions are always instantaneous.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:09 pm
If everything that sounds the same is spelled the same, then how will anyone know the difference?  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:11 pm
DarkElf27
If everything that sounds the same is spelled the same, then how will anyone know the difference?

Look up the word "set" and observe the longest list of definitions in most dictionaries.

How can you tell which definition of set is being used?

Context.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:49 pm
Either way, it's just another English 'expert' trying to make a name for himself by 'revolutionizing' the language. rolleyes  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Whoremone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:11 am
skeate
Whoremone
Riyuu-Rae

Quote for truth.

What would they do? Change a few different words per year until we eventually have a new language? Even if they tried to change 2% of the language per year, that's still a huge thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:05 am
Whoremone
skeate
Whoremone
Riyuu-Rae

Quote for truth.

What would they do? Change a few different words per year until we eventually have a new language? Even if they tried to change 2% of the language per year, that's still a huge thing.

Language transitions are slow. Do you think they suddenly sprung the changes from Old English to Middle English on people, and they were just like "oh, okay" and started using it?

One way it could be done is instead of replacing words, simply add them as acceptable spellings. Over time, the simpler spelling will win out and the other will become archaic.

If, of course, people are willing to accept a little change.  

The Man who was Thursday

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:51 pm
skeate
Whoremone
skeate
Whoremone
Riyuu-Rae

Quote for truth.

Language transitions are slow. Do you think they suddenly sprung the changes from Old English to Middle English on people, and they were just like "oh, okay" and started using it?

One way it could be done is instead of replacing words, simply add them as acceptable spellings. Over time, the simpler spelling will win out and the other will become archaic.

If, of course, people are willing to accept a little change.

That has happened, actually, over time but met with much resistance. Ever try to read Sheakspeare or the King James Bible. Many of the words were replaced and the meanings somehow changed. Language evolves.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff