Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Riddle me this... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is correct?
  The contest will be judged by Billy, Suzy, and I.
  The contest will be judged by Billy, Suzy, and me.
  I don't know! @.@
View Results

chrystalclear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:22 am
I had to think for a little bit to get that through my system at first, but I got it right.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:34 pm
"Suzy, Billy, and I will judge the contest." is the correct way to write the sentence. Stumper? Not really.  

Zealot of Insanity

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:35 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
It's the second one. It's the same thing as when someone says, "Joe will be going to the mall with Bernard and I." That's incorrect; the correct being "Joe will be going to the mall with Bernard and me."

After all, you wouldn't say, "The contest will be judged by I" or "Joe will be going to the mall with I", would you?
But "Suzy, Billy and I" are the subjects.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:44 am
metalmalzan
"Suzy, Billy, and I will judge the contest." is the correct way to write the sentence. Stumper? Not really.

You're changing the voice of the verb by doing that, though.  

The Man who was Thursday

Mekaama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:36 pm
Ezra Pound
metalmalzan

You're changing the voice of the verb by doing that, though.

Exactly. You change it from passive to active. Though passive may not be preferred, it is still valid.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:39 pm
Ezra Pound
Mekaama
Ha! I have stumped you all!

The correct sentence is: The contest will be judged by Suzy, Billy, and me.

Why? Because, "by" is a preposition. Suzy, Billy, and the personal pronoun are objects of that preposition and need to be in objective form. "Me" is the objective form. "I" is the subjective. It would be correct here, as the subject:
Suzy, Billy, and I will judge the contest.

Get your case names right.

I is nominative, me is accusative/dative/ablative, my is genitive.

Wasn't going by cases, just functions. Objects, subjects. Haven't studied cases for two years I'm afraid. rolleyes  

Mekaama

WarKitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:04 am
I wouldn't use the last comma in either sentance- I was taught that was redundent (although I though that different schools disagree on this).  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:24 am
Mekaama
Ezra Pound
Mekaama

Why? Because, "by" is a preposition. Suzy, Billy, and the personal pronoun are objects of that preposition and need to be in objective form. "Me" is the objective form. "I" is the subjective. It would be correct here, as the subject:

Get your case names right.

I is nominative, me is accusative/dative/ablative, my is genitive.

Wasn't going by cases, just functions. Objects, subjects. Haven't studied cases for two years I'm afraid. rolleyes

Well, don't use words like "objective" and "subjective" -- they have entirely different meanings.

WarKitty
I wouldn't use the last comma in either sentance- I was taught that was redundent (although I though that different schools disagree on this).

Indeed, some people like a comma before the end of a list, some don't.  

The Man who was Thursday

Elanchana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:04 pm
Thanks, Writing with Style! In this case, I knew not to reverse the sentence but to take out the two names.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:02 am
Whoremone
Second one. You just don't end a sentence with I.

However, you just did! I don't know if you realized this, but you just ended your sentence with "I" saying that you can't. Weird, huh?

Unfortunately I'm not as advanced in English and grammar as you wonderful people are, but I still get around. I chose the "me" option.

Dr.Elf

Lissiwen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:11 pm
How is that a riddle?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:15 pm
This happens to be a huge pet peeve of mine. I hear people misusing "I" all the time.

The contest will be judged by Billy, Suzy, and me.  

Woodnut

dianersj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 am
O_o

wow, that's really interesting that the one place where i think its 'I' its actually 'ME' ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:19 pm
I say its the first one.  

Dante Omura

Missy Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Mekaama

Yay! I got it right!

Thank you, college writing courses!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas