Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Steve Irwin & 1 minute silences?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

minutes silence of respect for Steve Irwin?
  Yes
  No
  I'm not sure
  I couldnt careless
View Results

Ozumou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:05 am
The Silence is based on Personal respect,
if you wanna do it, do it. I do.

If you don't you should not be forced to.

And if you are Germaine Greer you should go stick a sock in your mouth,.

When Jaque Cousteou's Grandson, the Govt, the RSPCA and
most other respected zoo-ologists/ecologists think a guy has done something for nature, he probably has.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:24 am
1TS JESUS LOL
Isien
yeh it was a bit of jaw dropping moment when the news came out

It certainly was, but i honestly don't believe it's worthy of a minutes silence, some people may think so, but to me, minutes silences will always be for our ANZAC's.

agreed!  

Isien

Isien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:40 am
Ozumou
The Silence is based on Personal respect,
if you wanna do it, do it. I do.

If you don't you should not be forced to.

And if you are Germaine Greer you should go stick a sock in your mouth,.

When Jaque Cousteou's Grandson, the Govt, the RSPCA and
most other respected zoo-ologists/ecologists think a guy has done something for nature, he probably has.

true he's done a lot for the environment, but so have the people who work with him in order to make it happen and a lot of others who volunteer services and time for organisations like WIRES, RSPCA etc. it was only because he was a celebrity and was high profile that he is really recognised for his efforts which is why i dont believe minute silences should have been held in a school where it is normally a compulsory thing to be silent whether you agree or not....'Jaque Cousteou's Grandson, the Govt, the RSPCA and
most other respected zoo-ologists/ecologists' arent going to be given minute silences so why should he?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:17 pm
seeing as he's one person and the stingray didn't mean to kill him, I would usually say no, but he spread out ideas of protecting nature into kids minds, and not just in Australia. He was a great guy with a great vision, he put Australia on the map where it should be, next to the croc in my childrens atlas (made in USA) a minutes silence is less than he deserves. 3nodding  

- Strike without Mercy -

Isien

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:27 am
Cherry_bomber
seeing as he's one person and the stingray didn't mean to kill him, I would usually say no, but he spread out ideas of protecting nature into kids minds, and not just in Australia. He was a great guy with a great vision, he put Australia on the map where it should be, next to the croc in my childrens atlas (made in USA) a minutes silence is less than he deserves. 3nodding

fair enough, but their are other Australians who have done equally great acts to contribute to putting Australia on the map and done work to protect animals
....they might not be as high profile as Steve Irwin was, but several have held highly important roles in conservation efforts which is why i'm particularly against the idea of a minutes silence for him,
I will admit his and the death of many other australian icons in past and future will be sad (what death isn't really?), did everyone rush to hold minute silences for peter brock? will they do it when people such as Paul Hogan, Bert Newton, Barry Humphries, Jane Turner & Gina Riley, Nicole Kidman, Ian Thorpe, Pat Cash, Jon Dee, Peter Garret die?
and yet not many people stop immediately when another police officer, fire fighter dies, they do equally important jobs yet dont hold the same individual high profile as others like Steve Irwin do, so any great contributes they have made will not be recognised and appreciated with a moment of silence.
I dont believe a minutes silence was/is necessary here...bet you no silence was held for people like:
- Myles and Milo Dunphy
- Olegas Truchanas
more than 3/4 of the nation wouldn't even know who these people are  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:06 pm
The people in the 9/11 attack that died didn't get as much attention because nobody knew who they were. The more famous you are, the more publicity you get if you die.

[clowns.will.eat.me]

The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces