silver ravenwolf Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Wallaby

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:35 pm
Taking a pound of salt will kill you.

SRW's "To stir a magic cauldron" was my first book on the subject. It was a good intro, imo. However, going through it again, I see things that are disagreeable with me (bad english, oh well). For example, she puts too much of her opinion in things. When she describes the sabbats, she gives at least a full page on samhain (doesn't say how to pronounce it either, which baffled me forever!) yet gives only about 4 sentences to the spring and summer sabbats. She doesn't say how they relate to the growth of the Deities (though I believe not all recognize that...), instead she just yaps on about how she likes decorating and going all frilly-silly with it. There's a bad strike.

The other thing she does that is most noticable is put too much gooey showey stuff in. Sure, her art is o-k (yeck!) but way too much. Too many frills on "you have the power, just let it out!" She has a section on Astral projection in there!!! I work constantly with magic in the subconsious state (dreams etc.) but have yet to come NEAR ap!! It's intense stuff, and she goes on like you can do it right when you finish reading her book. Nonsence. Another thing is that she seems to want a strict way (her way) of doing things. I was scared to do anything just because I didnt have holy rose water to consecrate my things with. Very strict, very gooey, all the sorts of things that make people truely believe that all witches are nutbars going around wearing pentacle bling-bling and screaming "Oh my Goddess!" (Feminist Wiccans/Pagans piss me off too, but thats for another day)

Conclusion- Good core things, not enough facts, too much goo.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:31 pm
Having never read a book by Silver Ravenwolf, I can't say.

I will say Gerina Dunwich is an idiot, though. I have two of her books, and the only one thats good, by her, is Wicca A - Z, because it told me what certain words mean, that I didn't know before.
And there was a Goddess thingy in the back.
But other than that, she's an idiot.

Winter Black
Crew

Akwila

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:31 pm
The Wallaby
Taking a pound of salt will kill you.

SRW's "To stir a magic cauldron" was my first book on the subject. It was a good intro, imo. However, going through it again, I see things that are disagreeable with me (bad english, oh well). For example, she puts too much of her opinion in things. When she describes the sabbats, she gives at least a full page on samhain (doesn't say how to pronounce it either, which baffled me forever!) yet gives only about 4 sentences to the spring and summer sabbats. She doesn't say how they relate to the growth of the Deities (though I believe not all recognize that...), instead she just yaps on about how she likes decorating and going all frilly-silly with it. There's a bad strike.

The other thing she does that is most noticable is put too much gooey showey stuff in. Sure, her art is o-k (yeck!) but way too much. Too many frills on "you have the power, just let it out!" She has a section on Astral projection in there!!! I work constantly with magic in the subconsious state (dreams etc.) but have yet to come NEAR ap!! It's intense stuff, and she goes on like you can do it right when you finish reading her book. Nonsence. Another thing is that she seems to want a strict way (her way) of doing things. I was scared to do anything just because I didnt have holy rose water to consecrate my things with. Very strict, very gooey, all the sorts of things that make people truely believe that all witches are nutbars going around wearing pentacle bling-bling and screaming "Oh my Goddess!" (Feminist Wiccans/Pagans piss me off too, but thats for another day)

Conclusion- Good core things, not enough facts, too much goo.
i was thinking about that today, her stuff is crap to a well studied person. now that i looked back at her books they are rather 'gooey' as you put it.. but i still think she writes books as a good platform for new comers. as for the "you can do it right after you read this book" thing, i think shes just trying to be encouraging.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:43 pm
My friend and I are going to buy one of her books, the one called A Soletary Witch. A friend of ours who we are going to start a coven with suggested it to us. Have any of you read it?  

QueenCrystal

Akwila

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:10 am
QueenCrystal
My friend and I are going to buy one of her books, the one called A Soletary Witch. A friend of ours who we are going to start a coven with suggested it to us. Have any of you read it?
i havent, but i have bought and read teen witch, i liked it very much. altho i dont suggest reading it word for word, just take out of it what you need, she isnt the best author, but a good one  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:04 am
akwila
QueenCrystal
i havent, but i have bought and read teen witch, i liked it very much. altho i dont suggest reading it word for word, just take out of it what you need, she isnt the best author, but a good one
I keep hearing that scott cunningham is so much better.  

QueenCrystal

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:07 am
Scott Cunningham is absolutely amazing! I want to add more of his work to my own library, but can't afford to at this time. If you're looking into him, best to skip over Silver Ravenwolf. She draws very extensively from his work and simply waters it down and dilutes it with drivel and opinions.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:34 pm
Gypsy Blue
Scott Cunningham is absolutely amazing! I want to add more of his work to my own library, but can't afford to at this time. If you're looking into him, best to skip over Silver Ravenwolf. She draws very extensively from his work and simply waters it down and dilutes it with drivel and opinions.
well who doesnt put thier own opinions in thier work? anyway, cunningham is one of the best blaugh  

Akwila

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:10 pm
akwila
well who doesnt put thier own opinions in thier work? anyway, cunningham is one of the best blaugh

There's a difference between using your opinion to further a point, though, and using it as padding to make your book longer. SRW uses it as padding, unfortunately.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:24 am
Queen Crystal: That book is ment to be used along side several other books. She states this in the front page. I do infact have this book.

Silver encourages children to "pretend" to be christain by combing the two religions. It's not possible. It should not be done.

She has too much fluff and it's too wattered down. Not to mention the trouble she has gotten into by revealing coven to coven secrets.  

Charity.Solei

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:32 am
Charity.l.bedell
Queen Crystal: That book is ment to be used along side several other books. She states this in the front page. I do infact have this book.

Silver encourages children to "pretend" to be christain by combing the two religions. It's not possible. It should not be done.

She has too much fluff and it's too wattered down. Not to mention the trouble she has gotten into by revealing coven to coven secrets.
True, and everything is pretty attached to her openion and all, but i think her meditation advice is good. Its a good book for refrence.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:30 pm
I mean if you use that particular book as it is ment to be used your fine. The others are ment to be primary sources. this just to add or help grasp some of their statements...  

Charity.Solei

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:26 pm
Charity.l.bedell
I mean if you use that particular book as it is ment to be used your fine. The others are ment to be primary sources. this just to add or help grasp some of their statements...
I understand that. And I think you're new....WELCOME DO THE GUILD ^-^  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:37 pm
Charity.l.bedell

Actually, I strongly disagree with you on that point. I have a Christian Witch in the family, and I myself followed along that path for a brief time until I was ready to make the conversion completely. It's actually a very beautiful system.

I also disagree with the argument that SRW incourages children to lie to their parents. I've read a few of her books, including Teen Witch, and she actually encourages her younger readers to be open with their parents, should their parents be accepting enough to not fly off the handle and immediately rush their little darling to see an exorcist. Should the young Pagans reading her books find that their parents are not so open minded, then she tells them to do the same thing that many of us do any way: be subtle and don't try to be Super Witch, since it obviously causes problems. I hardly see how this is cause to fly off the handle and denounce her. Yes, she's opinionated, yes, she tends to come down very hard on Christians in general, and true, you can find everything she has to say with half the crap in other authors. But she's a very accessable writer; her information is made clear, and she gives practicle advice.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Charity.Solei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:33 pm
Witch=/=Wiccan.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items