Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"ain't" still is not a word Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falafel25

6,550 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:28 am
Are these people serious? If people seriously start using the word "ain't" in school essays, what will universities think when these kids try and apply to them? It's like using the word "y'all" in a serious research paper--it just isn't done.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 pm
I'll use "ain't" while talking in real life or white writing somewhere I won't be marked like forums, jotting notes, etc, but I wouldn't dare use it in my English class. It's a fairly common slang, but it's not a word, so stay away!  

Whoremone

The Jesus Bot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm
fyrebrite
Ain't might be considered slang. But, do have to say I think it's a word. It can be found in a dictionary. Yet, I don't think it should be allowed in formal writing.

That is true, but just because a word is in a dictionary does not mean that it is correct grammar. Dictionaries put the definitions of slang words in their pages too. Here is an example:

dude (dood)
Slang.

1. A man; a fellow.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:58 am
ENGLISH PROFFESORS!?!?!?!?

I must say, that is absolutely PATHETIC. My first grade teacher took half off my test for using ain't.

And english PROFFESORS? That is sad. Really sad.  

Ocean_Skye

Vocal Cannibalism

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:13 pm
You know what? If you can use "Ain't" in an EXAM, then you could be able to make other grammar errors.

Is "Ain't" REALLY that much easier to say then, "Isn't" or "Is not"?!

Honestly, this is just stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:04 pm
MLA states that contractions, numerals, and other methods of shorthand are not appropriate for proper English essays, exams, or presentations.
Enough said.

Nevertheless, "ain't" is a perfectly acceptable term when used informally.

Also, just to release this tidbit of hate I have for the damnable country I live in, colour is a six-letter word; anyone who says otherwise should be put through severe and possibly violent rehabilitation.  

Lord Thatlatu of the Tofu

Arcadia12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:01 pm
...It seems that you all agree that "ain't" should be disreguarded when correcting a formal essay.
Then what do you do, just take it out, and read it like that?

We ain't going to the fair today

We ain't going to the fair today

We going to the fair today

It completely changes the meaning
You have to at least account for what they were trying to say  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:09 pm
Here is a quote from one of my favorite comedians:
George Carlin
"Ain't" is such a versatile word. It can fit into so many different situations. It can mean, "is not," "am not," or "are not." And because it is such a useful and versatile word, we are not allowed to say it.

I pretty much go by that, but anybody who attempts to put it into formal writing should be stabbed.  

Slappy the Ninja

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:14 pm
What terrifies me more than "ain't?" When people spell it wrong! I see ani't, ian't, and so on and so forth...

*dies*  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:04 pm
Ain't is actually a contraction of "am not", according to my grade eight English teacher. She even encouraged us to use it in our formal writing. I thought it was stupid, and now I have a much better English teacher.  

xo[.Saskay.]ox

limp dick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:23 pm
The only time I use ain't, verbally or written, is when I'm joking around with friends.

For the most part, it's used by me for satire or mockery.

I wouldn't even think of using it in a formal paper.
I'd tolerate it in informal pieces of writing, such as letters or something like that, but for a formal paper? That's unheard of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:23 pm
"Ain't" in the exams? Then you should just put "yall" in the exams. Ain't should not be in the exams. I agree with you wholeheartedly.  

Dez Nihvet

Dapper Elder

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:00 am
Emmanuela
The senior editors at my mothers work were debating about letting "ain't" be accepted in exams. English exams. I was horrified. My mother was the only one at the table who disagreed with it, of which I am very proud of.

Using "ain't" is slang and should not be used, no matter how common it is used in speech, as otherwise wouldn't we have to allow people to write 'would of" instead of "would have"? I think it's appaling, someone please agree with me!
Technically...yes it is bad grammar, but there shouldn't be disallowed...unless it is in excess...it is part of of the southern dialect. Like the phrase "fixin' to" and the word "ya'll" note that Shinobi misspelled it.
The word "ya'll" is a combination of you (ya) and all making the word you all. It is just a way we say the plural "you."

Ok...I'm trying to make something coherent out of my babble...sorry it is the way I right a alot. I jot all my feelings down and then try to make sense of it. As far as use of the above words go, I think it is more of an issue of how much it is used. You know? These words are more used in a verbal setting anyway. I slip into a few of them on occasion. Usually when I'm in a relaxed state. My mom will start speaking in Ebonics for crying out loud (she is Caucasian, but there are a few African Americans in her work place) Is anyone following on this? I don't believe the words are entirely wrong, sure they have no place in formal writing, but let me give an example.

In an AP test bad spelling and grammar is going to be there. It is a timed essay and the point is to show knowledge of the subject. They are really loose on spelling and grammar unless it is absolutely awful.

In a formal Essay that was assigned weeks in advanced, such language should never be used, because the student has had an ample amount of time to revise everything.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 am
I'm just going to say, "ain't" and any other fake word should only be used in the dialogue of a lesser educated person, or one that is speaking a second language that they don't know very well. It is part of their character. However, if used in a test or any formal or even any informal writing, I think it should at least be pointed out to the person that wrote it. It's just horrible that so many people use such "words."  

Masamune no Hi

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:55 am
My Greek professor was actually happy that my college is in Southern VA, because he could use you and y'all to distinguish between singular and plural in translations.

[Note: It should be y'all, not ya'll.]  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces