Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Movies And Goths Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:11 pm
If I'm not mistaken, shouldn't The Hunger be the first ever goth movie?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:14 pm
UraniumMonk
Athiel
The Crow, yes.
Also, I'd say most vampire movies could be put under this category.
Although it is a sad fact that 90% of these Suck something large and disturbing.
I like "interview with the vampire", though, and on some days "Underworld".
(The first one, as the sequel has to die.)

I get the feeling Interview With a Vampire is a move you have to be goth to enjoy.

Why?
It's just a movie, I'm sure lots of different people enjoy it.
It was very popular. neutral

I can't think of any movies that goths would prolly like.
All people are different, really, even if they like the same music and are all fairly dark

Genica Pussywillow

Steampunked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:48 pm
The Russian vampire (well, more like, people with bloody eating habits and peculiar powers that humans call 'vampires') movie Nightwatch is brilliant and incrediably gothic for my money. Wonderful insane buildings wrapped in storms, women that become tigers, and witches who have familiars which are doll's heads that sprout spider's legs. Best of all, most of the people in it look normal - they aren't all unbelievably pretty Hollywood starlets who never get a hair wrong while fighting.

I haven't yet seen Daywatch - the English version hasn't reached here yet - and Twilightwatch has yet to be finished, I think.

Donnie Darko was brilliant, and I would say the aesthetics of Constantine were fairly gothic. And I saw Queen of the Damned if only because I was one of the extras on set for a few weeks with it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:26 am
HAROLD AND MAUDE!!!!
HAROLD AND MAUDE!!!!
HAROLD AND MAUDE!!!!  

Alice_K8

Alice_K8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:33 am
Demon princess of Love
HAROLD AND MAUDE!!!!
HAROLD AND MAUDE!!!!
HAROLD AND MAUDE!!!!

Okay, so most people I talk to havn't heard of it. But its about this kid harold...well actually hes 20ish i think...and his hobbies include going to funerals and performing really well done fake suicedes (because the only time his mom ever paid attention to him is when she thought he was dead). Harold falls in love with the excentric Maude who is turning 70. She steals cars, lives in an old train car, collects stuff, invents stuff and does pretty much whatever she wants.

Its a wonderful movie, a favorite of mine, but difficult to get your hands on.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:39 am
[Rosetta Stoned]
UraniumMonk
Athiel
The Crow, yes.
Also, I'd say most vampire movies could be put under this category.
Although it is a sad fact that 90% of these Suck something large and disturbing.
I like "interview with the vampire", though, and on some days "Underworld".
(The first one, as the sequel has to die.)

I get the feeling Interview With a Vampire is a move you have to be goth to enjoy.

Why?
It's just a movie, I'm sure lots of different people enjoy it.
It was very popular. neutral

I can't think of any movies that goths would prolly like.
All people are different, really, even if they like the same music and are all fairly dark

all the angst made me ill.  

UraniumMonk

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:09 am
miturn
If I'm not mistaken, shouldn't The Hunger be the first ever goth movie?

Not really. It was released in 1983, and Bauhaus (and other bands) started the goth culture in 1979. A full 3 year period as that could've produced a few movies.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:17 am
Dead_Ed
The style in Tim Burton films seems to be very gothic... for an example of a not-so-popular Tim Burton movie, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow had a scene of a torture chamber and the dead forest seemed very much in tune with that.

I loved Sleepy Hollow! It didn't follow the original story and a lot of people complained about that, but I really enjoyed it. Costume drama with Christina Ricci and Johnny Depp? It'd have to bugger up seriously to keep me from liking it.

Certain movies are incredibly gothy because of their subject matter, whether they're meant to appeal to goths or not. Many goths love vampires, Halloween, ghost stories or some combination thereof, which is why guys like Tim Burton and Bella Lugosi have such a cult following among us.

A lot of classic black and white films seem really gothy to me. I'd argue that films that "just scream goth" started way before the subculture got going.  

Veruniel
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:18 am
Dead_Ed
The style in Tim Burton films seems to be very gothic... for an example of a not-so-popular Tim Burton movie, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow had a scene of a torture chamber and the dead forest seemed very much in tune with that.

I like his stuff. My mom didn't let me rent Legend Sleepy Hallow but I know about it.

"Basically, a lot of dark and controversial films with a taint of horror"
yah those are good.

Okay. Films that Americans make can be just to damn happy at the end. NOT EVERYTHING IS LIKE THAT! egh. okay happy endings are good but seriouslly people,not everything's like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:55 pm
The Crow..totaly!! Thats one of my favorite movies!  

Fire Panther

Sara Siren Noire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:14 pm
Goth movies? Well, I can't say there's a specific "goth" genre, but I do know that most goths are into the "cult" and "horror" genres. One of the more popular ones, for those wanna-be witches out there, is The Craft. The latest 'cult' film is The Covenant (which I did like. It had a nice background story.)

I do agree that most Tim Burton films, whether for general audiences or children, have that gothic overtone to them, particularly in Edward Scissorhands, TNBC, and Corpse Bride. I never saw The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but it seems like it's more horror than anything.

I do have one question; remember that movie Gothika? Does anyone but me wonder why in whoever's name they used that for the title when it has nothing to do with the story whatsoever? I mean, really! I'm serious! The movie was okay, all-in-all, but what about that movie was relevant to Gothika? It was your basic ghost story crossed over with a murder mystery! Yeesh. If they give a gothic title to a movie (especially when the title is so suggestive of it,) don't you think the movie should have gothic relevance to it? Makes sense to me.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff