Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Spinning on a drop spindle. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:38 am
Zahra Ovaci
Wheels don't have to be expensive, by the way smile I picked up a Babe DT Production wheel for $175, and I've seen the Babe Fiber Starter for $130!

[checks up on things]
Holy damn! So the sweet little wheel I bought last year? Totally had a price hike since then. Now the Fibers Starters are about $180, which is still good, but it ain't $130 good. Maybe check ebay?

how is 180$ good?! o.0
I don't have that kind of money to blow. gonk I still have to pay off my sowing matchen.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:07 pm
I just mentioned to my mom that learning how to spin would be an interesting future project and she offered to loan me her spinning wheel. She's also got a drum carder that she was ready to loan to me. I am in no way, shape, or form ready to learn how to spin yet and I don't have the space to store any more crafting items so I reluctantly turned her down.

Lee: I still need to buy a replacement sewing machine so you're one up on me.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

gemini6184

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:33 am
Being that theres a wool allergy in the family, I'm waiting to learn how to spin til I can achieve my highest health standard (i hate asthma and allergies, especially to fur) and get an angora bunny so that I can take all the fur it sheds and spin it 4laugh  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:57 pm
ForestGreen: you cold say I'm one up...I just say I'm in det. xp though I can't complane much.

gemini: you don't just have to spin wool... there's coton and silk and some other things too... the girl who showed me how said that she has spun the little cotton balls they put in pill bottles. xd  

Lee Kushrenada

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:38 pm
There's lots of things to spin, other than wool. There's soy silk, bamboo, cotton, silk, corn silk, linen, hemp, banana silk, and tencel. It's amazing what you can use to spin. 3nodding

I still need a carder to card my bamboo. I can tell you tho... it is SOO soft! eek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:36 am
I didn't know you could spin bambo! eek how? what's it like?  

Lee Kushrenada

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:22 am
eek omg how do you get it from the stalk to the point where you can spin it? cuz if I knew that there is a freaking bamboo FOREST near my bfs house...

lee: xd that would make for cheaper cotton yarn, $1.88 a bag 4laugh and theyre not exactly tight to begin with  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:40 am
well I was thinking about that the other day.... were DO I go just to get a big bag of cotton.

of and yesturday I was helping my friend dress up her garage for her halloween party, and the hole time I'm putting up all those face spider webs I'm thinking, "I could spin this easyer than heck". xd  

Lee Kushrenada

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:15 pm
Lee Kushrenada
I didn't know you could spin bambo! eek how? what's it like?
It's a lot like cotton, only lighter and softer. I'm not sure how you get it from stalk to fiber.. sorry! gonk I bought my bamboo off eBay. It's a pure white color (not green), but like I said... I'm gonna need a carder. sweatdrop

I also tried spinning linen. It's pretty easy to spin, but I don't like the finished look of it. It's very... fun fur-ish in appearance. Strong, tho! 3nodding

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:44 pm
Lee Kushrenada
well I was thinking about that the other day.... were DO I go just to get a big bag of cotton.

of and yesturday I was helping my friend dress up her garage for her halloween party, and the hole time I'm putting up all those face spider webs I'm thinking, "I could spin this easyer than heck". xd
um walmart in the cosmetics section 3nodding makes sense you wouldnt go there being a guy. and maybe your friend will let you spin the web stuff after halloween's over xd  

gemini6184

knitpixie70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:35 pm
My first spinning lesson was with a drop spindle. I figured it was called a drop spindle because I "dropped" it as soon as I got to spin on a wheel!

I have a lendrum double treadle and I spin lots of alpaca fiber. But I can't wait to collect enough dog hair and spin that! xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:05 am
I seem to remember that the process of making the flax plant into spinnable linen fibers is a long involved process so I can only imagine that the process for bamboo is even longer and more involved because the thickness of the stalk is greater.

*silly rant below, skip if you like*

I love how most of the natural fibers for yarns are renewable. Cotton, hemp, flax, and bamboo are plants. You can shear sheep more than once, and pluck an angora rabbit throughout it's lifetime. I've even heard that they can make yarn from recycled soda bottles. Our passion for yarn is environmentally friendly. (mostly)  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

LadyAnubis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:34 am
My roommate and I have been toying with the idea of making our own yarn, since we're broke college students. We'd probably end up using cotton balls or something like that since we're both allergic to sheeps wool, and there's really no place to get raw fibers around here.

Though we could get an angora then we'd take care of our lack of pet, too. We'd have to pay $500 to get in in the appartment, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:51 am
you could be a bunny ninja and sneak it in. ninja but if your willing to pay the 500$ you might want to think about getting a spinning weel.  

Lee Kushrenada

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:26 pm
Lee Kushrenada
Zahra Ovaci
Wheels don't have to be expensive, by the way smile I picked up a Babe DT Production wheel for $175, and I've seen the Babe Fiber Starter for $130!

[checks up on things]
Holy damn! So the sweet little wheel I bought last year? Totally had a price hike since then. Now the Fibers Starters are about $180, which is still good, but it ain't $130 good. Maybe check ebay?

how is 180$ good?! o.0
I don't have that kind of money to blow. gonk I still have to pay off my sowing matchen.

xd $180 is good in that it isn't $500+, which is what I would have paid for a wheel with my specs in wood. Them DT wheels are pricey! Plus my Babe weighs less than half as much as my cat, so I can (and do!) bring it up to campus and spin between classes. Oddly enough, very few people ask about it, unless I'm spinning at an event.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff