Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you like JtHM???
  yes
  no
View Results

all_alone145

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:40 pm
I agree thank you I thank that to your an Awsome persons.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:48 pm
Morbid, eccentric comics, I reckon.

(Don't forget 'I Feel Sick'!)
heart  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

TheWitchGotRobin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:15 am
I think they're considered what ever Jhonen wants them to be.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:10 am
GilAskan
Are they of the gothic horror genre?

No.

Are they for goths?

In my opinion? No. Jhonen Vasquez HATES goths, and has said so in multiple interviews. Check out his "Anne Gwish" comic and you'll see. So, no, I don't think they're for goths, though, I don't think he'd care who bought them: he'd still get the money.

Then who are they for?

Most of his comics appeal to teenagers, mostly high-schoolers.

While they're certainly more sophisticated than your typical comics, they're nowhere near the level of "Sandman" or "Watchman" or other such "adult" comics.

[He doesn't hate goths. He's said that he was making fun of himself in countless ineterviews]
[Yes, because when something is "Adult" it's better. Don't be so elitist rolleyes ]

Genica Pussywillow

SMiNKLe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:37 pm
Ah, Jthm, Filler Bunny, etc etc <333 All hilarious little works of art.

I don't believe in comic books having a stereotype.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:58 pm
[Rosetta Stoned]
GilAskan

No.

Are they for goths?

In my opinion? No. Jhonen Vasquez HATES goths, and has said so in multiple interviews. Check out his "Anne Gwish" comic and you'll see. So, no, I don't think they're for goths, though, I don't think he'd care who bought them: he'd still get the money.

Then who are they for?

While they're certainly more sophisticated than your typical comics, they're nowhere near the level of "Sandman" or "Watchman" or other such "adult" comics.

[He doesn't hate goths. He's said that he was making fun of himself in countless ineterviews]
[Yes, because when something is "Adult" it's better. Don't be so elitist rolleyes ]

First, I put "adult" in quotes because I too find it elitest. Had I actually thought it, I wouldn't have singled it out by quoting it.

As for Jhonen Vasquez's opinion on goths, it's a hard thing to nail down. It is true that he's referred to his work as parody in some interviews, but in others, he has insulted the goth culture in all seriousness.  

GilAskan
Crew

death will come by wings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:58 pm
It is a great comic, its dark and twisted but putting a certain names to it is to the will of the creator...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:45 am
death will come by wings
It is a great comic, its dark and twisted but putting a certain names to it is to the will of the creator...
gotta agree with you munchie...  

Turn-Based Addict

Backwoods Phantom

Kharmia Attradie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:40 am
I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, She's a Pepper...
GilAskan

In my opinion? No. Jhonen Vasquez HATES goths, and has said so in multiple interviews. Check out his "Anne Gwish" comic and you'll see.

I bleieve "Anne Gwish" falls under the 'mallgoth' category...right? She does seem to have a certian "Gothier Than Thou" attitude...

I hope I didn't read that wrong or take it out of context...

Personally, I love just about anything from Jhonen I've seen... Never really thought about what kind of comic it was. confused sweatdrop

...wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:46 am
I love reading Jthm...so sad and funny. Is it a goth comic? I think so.  

ChiRubian

Genica Pussywillow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:06 am
GilAskan
[Rosetta Stoned]
GilAskan

No.

Are they for goths?

Then who are they for?

First, I put "adult" in quotes because I too find it elitest. Had I actually thought it, I wouldn't have singled it out by quoting it.

As for Jhonen Vasquez's opinion on goths, it's a hard thing to nail down. It is true that he's referred to his work as parody in some interviews, but in others, he has insulted the goth culture in all seriousness.

[Okay, makes sense. I didn't read it that way ^^]

[Really? Maybe he's just had some bad experiences, I've met some people that make me wanna puke that are "Goth"]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:33 am
Personally, I find JTHM to be a bit overrated, considering there are probably (and are) a lot of other simply awesome horror-esque, noir, or psychologically unnerving indie comics out there. Johnny is just one of them. However, that's just my opinion. I don't think it was meant directly to be aimed at or purchased by Goths, nor is it at the Goth culture. Sooooo,
it isn't a "Goth" comic.* Infact, Jhonen mocks Goths and name-calling and all that throughout the first volume of Johnny to quite an extent.

Perhaps Jhonen's a closet Goth... too ashamed of how the Goth label has been mis-shaped and gotten out of control, that he silently denies his Goth-ness and swears to wreak and mock the Goth culture forever. Or maybe not. Internal conflict?

Also, that brings me to ask the question, (now that we're on the topic of JTHM) will there be a second volume of Johnny? I know Jhonen has hinted at it before, but does anyone have any news on it?

Regarding other gothic comics, Lenore is a joy for me to read. Its so cute and original.
I'm still waiting on that package from Dirge. ><

* I don't think comics can be tied to any kind of social label anyway. Comics are for everyone. They can be "Gothic", but they can't be "Goth".  

m a r l o w

all_alone145

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm
HELLA YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Johnen Vasquez comics are so Goth comics cause not ALL goths are like O i'm depressed so i'm not gonna read a comic thats funny....in fact the humor makes the book the dark humor I meAn  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:39 pm
I love Jhonen!! JTHM is awesome. I don't consider it goth at all. He hates goths.  

xCapnGx

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces