Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
what is your biggest grammar pet peeve? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:11 pm
Pet peave: High school English teachers that use ebonics and incorrect word usage. This feels like fingernails on a chalkboard.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:30 pm
I can not stand the use of got and get. It bothers me even more when i can not find a better word to use in its place.  

Deyvon

Slappy the Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:17 pm
I'd have to say that my greatest grammar pet peeve, and I share this one with my dad, is when people say "different than." It's supposed to be "different from," not "different than." The word "than" is used when making a comparison. The word "different" is not comparing, it's differentiating. There are NO exceptions to this.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:48 pm
When people mis-spell a word for "effect".

I.e. Gawd, rawk, sawk. That sort of thing, you get me?

Oh! And "meh" what the hell is meh?

If it's not in the dictionary, please refrain from using such words. Amateurs.

Capitalisation also happens to be an annoyance to me. Mainly, the lack of.

Or when people have a good at me for Anglicisation. It's acceptable! evil  

play it loud

Guttergoo

Fashionable Gawker

8,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:47 pm
Apostrophe abuse, and when people say 'should of', 'would of', that kind of thing. ><;  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:21 am
God, I hate it when people type in chat: "H3y yo0h! w@nn@ gU d@Nc3?!!?!11" I just want to strangle them. T_____T  

Raito-kun`

Niminue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:07 am
My chief pet peeve varies from week to week, but at the moment I'm most bothered by mixed tenses. I'm not sure how you can forget three words later that you're using the past tense for a singular noun, but people manage it. It drives me up the wall.

Punctuation wise, I get really hepped up when people don't use the shift key correctly and capitalize what needs to be capitalized.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:17 pm
Niminue
My chief pet peeve varies from week to week, but at the moment I'm most bothered by mixed tenses. I'm not sure how you can forget three words later that you're using the past tense for a singular noun, but people manage it. It drives me up the wall.

Punctuation wise, I get really hepped up when people don't use the shift key correctly and capitalize what needs to be capitalized.

Past tense for a singular noun?

NOUNS DON'T HAVE TENSES  

The Man who was Thursday

Ajith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:55 pm
What really annoys me is when people mix up 'then' and 'than.'

Then is used in reference to time, not as a comparison word!

Than is used when weighing one thing against another: This is better THAN that. This is greater THAN that.

It peeves me off to no end to see so many people I rp with make that mistake. It aggravates me even more than that to correct them, have them tell me they'll try to fix it, and then have them completely ignore it.

I also used to know someone who consistently used the word 'soup' instead of 'soap.'  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:31 pm
What irritates me most, when it comes to grammar, is not using punctuations. Those horrible run-on sentences are so stupid, its amazing some people are allowed out of second grade.  

CrossCountrySprinter

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:45 am
CrossCountrySprinter
What irritates me most, when it comes to grammar, is not using punctuations. Those horrible run-on sentences are so stupid, its amazing some people are allowed out of second grade.

Hypocrite much?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:41 pm
I hate sentences that have no punctuation at all or have punctuation in the worst possible places.

For example:
when i see who sentences like this with absolutely no punctuation that run on into the next sentence i want to shoot myself
AND
Whe.n I see' punctuation [in weird' p"laces like this..  

Missy Wyvern

Fatal Hilarity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:44 am
too/two/to.
It irritates me because I probably knew the different after just a month of taking English lessons, and they have been speaking English all their lives. I hate it when people make such stupid mistakes; it shows they've never read a book or a paper.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:51 am
Most likely my worst one would be:

"sup yo"

That just irks my nerves.

xxMilani

kandydrops

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:09 pm
Smoozle
I must admit that I am not to good with the whole apostrophe thing... And am also not always sure if I have used the write to/too/two! I'm always worried that someone will correct me. But if you see I put the wrong 'to' please tell me!

well you didn't use the right "write/right".  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff